By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Ocean 4...which system(s) do you think the game will be released on?

starcraft said:
tombi123 said:
DMeisterJ said:

starcraft said:
I don't claim credit for this idea, Dodoce posted it a while back but I couldn't find the thread:

-If this game was on the PS3, Sony would want us to know about it already. This holds for both PS3 exclusive and PS3/360 multiplatform. Sony is still largely trading on potential as far as games go, ESPECIALLY in Japan where sales are dismal.

This is a flawed theory. It's not up to Sony whether or not the game is announced exclusive or not, it's up to Square Enix.

-IF the game was on the 360, there would be more reason for Microsoft to hold off on an announcement. As we have seen with Lost Odyssey and to a lesser extent Eternal Sonata, Japanese gamers are immediately discounting amazing Japanese-orientated games when they are announced 360 exclusive. However if you hype Star Ocean 4 non-stop, building up the perception in hardcore Japanese gamer's minds that it is a must have and THEN announce it for the 360, they will be more inclined to pick up the console for the game, rather than switching off.

Also flawed, this is speculation that if they don't know what platform it's on, that they'll be more apt to buy it? I think that's grossly incorrect. Why get excited about a game that you might not get to play. If that's true, Microsoft is pretty stupid.

-It must also be noted that the PS3 has shown NO ability to shift JRPG's in the West, whereas the 360 has shown some (limited) ability to do so. Much of this ridiculous idea that the PS3 can sell JRPG's right now comes from the PS2's legacy.

Again, flawed. If this were the case, then FFXIII would be Multi-platform, or Wii Exclusive. And to top it off, there really aren't any JRPGs worth playing on the PS3 [or even out] to compare to the 360s JRPG lineup.

See bolded comments.

Well said DMJ. Dodece and Starcraft's argument is just wishful thinking. There is absolutely no bases to their claims.

Starcraft, can you answer me this question. Why would Sony put a SO4 trailer on the PSP if it wasn't coming to the PS3? Are you seriously suggesting that Sony are advertising a 360 game?

My understanding is that that was some time ago, perhaps MS have since moneyhatted the game?  In any case, my argument is very clearly relevant to the question of PS3 exclusivity.  I haven't seen Sony push this game in any other way, shape or form.

Again, your claims of microsoft buying the game are based on nothing. Yet you are completely ignoring a trailer on the PSP. Also Tri-ace, the developers have said that they want to make games exclusive to one console.  

The game is so far off, why would Sony (or microsoft) be pushing this game? I am sure we will see more at E3 or Tokyo Game Show.

Also, going by your argument, neither Sony or Nintendo have been pushing Kingdom Hearts 3, does that mean it is a 360 exclusive? 

Around the Network
starcraft said:
iclim4 said:
And they didn't release it on the Wii, which makes your argument about not releasing SO4 on the PS3 because the "PS3 has shown NO ability to shift JRPG's in the West" no longer a moot point. Do you disagree?

True that the legacy is seperate, but that does not mean that the ps2's legacy doesn't affect the PS3's legacy.
Most ps3 owners and RPG gamers assumed that the ps3 was going to be the JRPG king, don't you agree?
That is because of the ps2's presence last gen.
One would assume that the PS3 userbase consists a larger percentage of JRPG gamers compared to the Xbox360 userbase. The Xbox360 has already proven that it's userbase don't care much for JRPG's.

We could go round in circles on the latter argument.  Until some JRPG's hit the PS3, we just won't know which way it will go.  I was merely pointing out the foley of assuming the PS3 could move large quantities of JRPGs.  As for the Wii? I would love for this game to be Wii exclusive, but I bet it was in development long before the Wii's runaway success, back when everyone assumed the PS3 would be the JRPG king as you said.
"PS3 has shown NO ability to shift JRPG's in the West"
And I was merely pointing out the foley of assuming that the PS3 could not move large quantities of JRPG's.

Yes, it was in development for the PS3 which "everyone"(according to you) assumed would be JRPG king.
Since everyone assumed that the PS3 would be the JRPG king.
What console do you think JRPG gamers would buy?
Not just the casual JRPG gamers, I mean the hardcore, early adopter JRPG gamers.

Yes the PS3, would it not be logical to assume then that the PS3 has a more JRPG centric userbase compared to the Xbox360 who has already proven that it has limited ability move JRPG software?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

tombi123 said:
starcraft said:
tombi123 said:
DMeisterJ said:

starcraft said:
I don't claim credit for this idea, Dodoce posted it a while back but I couldn't find the thread:

-If this game was on the PS3, Sony would want us to know about it already. This holds for both PS3 exclusive and PS3/360 multiplatform. Sony is still largely trading on potential as far as games go, ESPECIALLY in Japan where sales are dismal.

This is a flawed theory. It's not up to Sony whether or not the game is announced exclusive or not, it's up to Square Enix.

-IF the game was on the 360, there would be more reason for Microsoft to hold off on an announcement. As we have seen with Lost Odyssey and to a lesser extent Eternal Sonata, Japanese gamers are immediately discounting amazing Japanese-orientated games when they are announced 360 exclusive. However if you hype Star Ocean 4 non-stop, building up the perception in hardcore Japanese gamer's minds that it is a must have and THEN announce it for the 360, they will be more inclined to pick up the console for the game, rather than switching off.

Also flawed, this is speculation that if they don't know what platform it's on, that they'll be more apt to buy it? I think that's grossly incorrect. Why get excited about a game that you might not get to play. If that's true, Microsoft is pretty stupid.

-It must also be noted that the PS3 has shown NO ability to shift JRPG's in the West, whereas the 360 has shown some (limited) ability to do so. Much of this ridiculous idea that the PS3 can sell JRPG's right now comes from the PS2's legacy.

Again, flawed. If this were the case, then FFXIII would be Multi-platform, or Wii Exclusive. And to top it off, there really aren't any JRPGs worth playing on the PS3 [or even out] to compare to the 360s JRPG lineup.

See bolded comments.

Well said DMJ. Dodece and Starcraft's argument is just wishful thinking. There is absolutely no bases to their claims.

Starcraft, can you answer me this question. Why would Sony put a SO4 trailer on the PSP if it wasn't coming to the PS3? Are you seriously suggesting that Sony are advertising a 360 game?

My understanding is that that was some time ago, perhaps MS have since moneyhatted the game? In any case, my argument is very clearly relevant to the question of PS3 exclusivity. I haven't seen Sony push this game in any other way, shape or form.

Again, your claims of microsoft buying the game are based on nothing. Yet you are completely ignoring a trailer on the PSP. Also Tri-ace, the developers have said that they want to make games exclusive to one console.

The game is so far off, why would Sony (or microsoft) be pushing this game? I am sure we will see more at E3 or Tokyo Game Show.

Also, going by your argument, neither Sony or Nintendo have been pushing Kingdom Hearts 3, does that mean it is a 360 exclusive?

I haven't at any point argued that the game will be 360 exclusive.  What I have done is provide perfectly reasonable reasons why the game shouldn't just be assumed PS3 exclusive.

There have been a couple of trailers and some information and none of it has mentioned a platform.  That is not a common thing. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

iclim4 said:
starcraft said:
iclim4 said:
And they didn't release it on the Wii, which makes your argument about not releasing SO4 on the PS3 because the "PS3 has shown NO ability to shift JRPG's in the West" no longer a moot point. Do you disagree?

True that the legacy is seperate, but that does not mean that the ps2's legacy doesn't affect the PS3's legacy.
Most ps3 owners and RPG gamers assumed that the ps3 was going to be the JRPG king, don't you agree?
That is because of the ps2's presence last gen.
One would assume that the PS3 userbase consists a larger percentage of JRPG gamers compared to the Xbox360 userbase. The Xbox360 has already proven that it's userbase don't care much for JRPG's.

We could go round in circles on the latter argument. Until some JRPG's hit the PS3, we just won't know which way it will go. I was merely pointing out the foley of assuming the PS3 could move large quantities of JRPGs. As for the Wii? I would love for this game to be Wii exclusive, but I bet it was in development long before the Wii's runaway success, back when everyone assumed the PS3 would be the JRPG king as you said.
Yes, it was in development for the PS3 which "everyone"(according to you) assumed would be JRPG king.
Not just the casual JRPG gamers, I mean the hardcore, early adopter JRPG gamers.

Yes the PS3
, would it not be logical to assume then that the PS3 has a more JRPG centric userbase compared to the Xbox360 who has already proven that it has limited ability move JRPG software?

And you should know.  You're one of them, lol.

iclim4 said:
starcraft said:

We could go round in circles on the latter argument. Until some JRPG's hit the PS3, we just won't know which way it will go. I was merely pointing out the foley of assuming the PS3 could move large quantities of JRPGs. As for the Wii? I would love for this game to be Wii exclusive, but I bet it was in development long before the Wii's runaway success, back when everyone assumed the PS3 would be the JRPG king as you said.
"PS3 has shown NO ability to shift JRPG's in the West"
And I was merely pointing out the foley of assuming that the PS3 could not move large quantities of JRPG's.

Yes the PS3, would it not be logical to assume then that the PS3 has a more JRPG centric userbase compared to the Xbox360 who has already proven that it has limited ability move JRPG software?

What I am saying is simply this.  Whilst the legacy of the PS2 will be a good enough reason for some people to have already picked up a PS3, there are no good JRPG's on the system.  IT is totally unreasonable to assume the PS3 can move JRPG's, as people on this site regularly do.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:

What I am saying is simply this.  Whilst the legacy of the PS2 will be a good enough reason for some people to have already picked up a PS3, there are no good JRPG's on the system.  IT is totally unreasonable to assume the PS3 can move JRPG's, as people on this site regularly do.

As I have said, most gamers assumed the PS3 to be JRPG king this generation.
Not the Xbox360.
I think that is basis enough to assume that the PS3 userbase is more JRPG centric compared to the Xbox360 userbase.(of course assumption does not equal fact, but that is still a pretty logical assumption)
Though,as you have said, we can't tell to what extent till a JRPG game is released.
So why is that a reason for SE to not put SO4 on the PS3 again?
They did assume the PS3 to be the JRPG king this generation when SO4 went into development. Do you disagree?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

starcraft as much as im sure you'd like it, not EVERY game that has unannounced console direction is coming to the 360, so why do you bother arguing in every thread that *insert game here* is coming to the 360? is your fanboyism really that consuming?

furthermore, do you even CARE about this game? i seriously doubt it.

makingmusic476 said:
And you should know.  You're one of them, lol.
Haha, you  ass.

starcraft said:
tombi123 said:
starcraft said:
tombi123 said:
DMeisterJ said:

starcraft said:

See bolded comments.

My understanding is that that was some time ago, perhaps MS have since moneyhatted the game? In any case, my argument is very clearly relevant to the question of PS3 exclusivity. I haven't seen Sony push this game in any other way, shape or form.

I haven't at any point argued that the game will be 360 exclusive.  What I have done is provide perfectly reasonable reasons why the game shouldn't just be assumed PS3 exclusive.

There have been a couple of trailers and some information and none of it has mentioned a platform.  That is not a common thing. 

Bolded part: Actually you did. The first paragraph of Dodece's argument. "If this game was on the PS3, Sony would want us to know about it already. This holds for both PS3 exclusive and PS3/360 multiplatform." 

You have provided reasons to why this game won't be PS3 exclusive. I wouldn't call them reasonable. 

iclim4 said:
makingmusic476 said:
And you should know. You're one of them, lol.
Haha, you ass.

Well it's true. :P