By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Ocean 4...which system(s) do you think the game will be released on?

@starcraft
If you encode it to a format it could read. The point is a way to watch the trailer is on the PSP game. If it was on another console, that would seem strange being from a Sony product.

Anyway, I'm banking on either PS3 or PS3/360 multi-platform. 100% it's going to be on PS3, I'm thinking 75% chance it'll be multi-platform. Square seems to be holding which console it's going to be on a little too long...I'm thinking MS might be trying to buy them out onto at least multi-platform if not exclusivity. I doubt Square would let a big game like that be exclusive to the 360....but if MS waves enough money in their faces, they'll make it multi-platform.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network

starcraft said:
I don't claim credit for this idea, Dodoce posted it a while back but I couldn't find the thread:

-If this game was on the PS3, Sony would want us to know about it already. This holds for both PS3 exclusive and PS3/360 multiplatform. Sony is still largely trading on potential as far as games go, ESPECIALLY in Japan where sales are dismal.

This is a flawed theory.  It's not up to Sony whether or not the game is announced exclusive or not, it's up to Square Enix.

-IF the game was on the 360, there would be more reason for Microsoft to hold off on an announcement. As we have seen with Lost Odyssey and to a lesser extent Eternal Sonata, Japanese gamers are immediately discounting amazing Japanese-orientated games when they are announced 360 exclusive. However if you hype Star Ocean 4 non-stop, building up the perception in hardcore Japanese gamer's minds that it is a must have and THEN announce it for the 360, they will be more inclined to pick up the console for the game, rather than switching off.

Also flawed, this is speculation that if they don't know what platform it's on, that they'll be more apt to buy it?  I think that's grossly incorrect.  Why get excited about a game that you might not get to play.  If that's true, Microsoft is pretty stupid.

-It must also be noted that the PS3 has shown NO ability to shift JRPG's in the West, whereas the 360 has shown some (limited) ability to do so. Much of this ridiculous idea that the PS3 can sell JRPG's right now comes from the PS2's legacy.

Again, flawed.  If this were the case, then FFXIII would be Multi-platform, or Wii Exclusive.  And to top it off, there really aren't any JRPGs worth playing on the PS3 [or even out] to compare to the 360s JRPG lineup.  

See bolded comments.

dabaus513 said:
Starcraft you crack me up bruh. Ps3 has shown that it cant move jrpgs? Forgive my ignorance but what jrpg's does the ps3 have agian? I know your not talking about folklore because thats an action rpg. Its not like the 360 is selling them by the droves either. I remember a thread not to long ago that had to combine the sales of 2 mistwalker games just to equal 1 million. I usually respect your posts as they give the other side when the SDF is on a roll but lately your posts do not rely on reason but just pure hate for the ps3.

And watching the star ocean trailer is not the same as watching it on your zune. Had SE gone out of their way to put it solely on the zune or a SE zune flash game you have a point, but like most of your arguments as of late you have none.

What I said was, the PS3 "has shown NO ability to move JRPG's."  If it doesn't have any, that just further proves my point.  Why are you making the assumption that it can sell them just because the PS2 could?  And if you had fully read my post you would have seen me point out that even the software king the 360 has only a "limited" ability to shift JRPG's.  But still, it's a proven ability.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Oh come on. We all know it's coming to the Virtual Boy.

starcraft said:
I don't claim credit for this idea, Dodoce posted it a while back but I couldn't find the thread:

-If this game was on the PS3, Sony would want us to know about it already. This holds for both PS3 exclusive and PS3/360 multiplatform. Sony is still largely trading on potential as far as games go, ESPECIALLY in Japan where sales are dismal.

-IF the game was on the 360, there would be more reason for Microsoft to hold off on an announcement. As we have seen with Lost Odyssey and to a lesser extent Eternal Sonata, Japanese gamers are immediately discounting amazing Japanese-orientated games when they are announced 360 exclusive. However if you hype Star Ocean 4 non-stop, building up the perception in hardcore Japanese gamer's minds that it is a must have and THEN announce it for the 360, they will be more inclined to pick up the console for the game, rather than switching off.

-It must also be noted that the PS3 has shown NO ability to shift JRPG's in the West, whereas the 360 has shown some (limited) ability to do so. Much of this ridiculous idea that the PS3 can sell JRPG's right now comes from the PS2's legacy.

First point.
Sony "trading largely on potential" may have been true early last year, before holiday 07, But after that point in time, games that were showing ps3's potential were already released. Uncharted, Unreal tournament III, Ratchet and Clank. Those games showed a part of the ps3's potential, you make it sound like the ps3 has no games that take advantage of the system and that it can only move consoles by making promises for better games in the future.

Second point,
Agreed and well said.

Third point.
The PS3 may have not shown an ability to shift JRPG's in the west, but there is no reason to assume that it can't either. The Xbox360 has shown what it could do, and as you have said, it is limited.
Would you rather test on a new system that has a fairly high chance to shift JRPG's because of its legacy, or
would you rather go to the tried and proven to be limited alternative?
Why not just release it for the Wii and DS as others before me have said.
Bigger install base and all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:

starcraft said:

This is a flawed theory. It's not up to Sony whether or not the game is announced exclusive or not, it's up to Square Enix.

Also flawed, this is speculation that if they don't know what platform it's on, that they'll be more apt to buy it? I think that's grossly incorrect. Why get excited about a game that you might not get to play. If that's true, Microsoft is pretty stupid.

Again, flawed. If this were the case, then FFXIII would be Multi-platform, or Wii Exclusive. And to top it off, there really aren't any JRPGs worth playing on the PS3 [or even out] to compare to the 360s JRPG lineup.

See bolded comments.

Bolded 1:

If the game were PS3 exclusive (or even multiplatform) Sony would have been aware of this LONG ago and would have been pushing square to announce it as such.  Square would have ZERO reason not to do so.

Bolded 2:

Right now most Japanese gamers discount a JRPG immediately and don't give it the time of day hypewise if it is 360 exclusive.  But they are still assuming it will be on the PS3 and are therefore allowing themselves to be hyped for a game.  If the game is announced 360-exclusive, they will still want it, perhaps enough to buy the 360.  For example, I am pumped for Fable 2 (I know its first party), but if it was suddenly switched to PS3, I would be buying a PS3 the day the game launches.  If I had known it was going to be out on the PS3 long ago, I probably would have stopped looking at the title.

Bolded 3:

As I said, the PS3 has shown NO ability to move JRPG's.  We all heard the SE executive saying they wouldn't be the sacrificial lamb that puts out games on low user-bases to shift consoles.  Everyone simply assumes it can move JRPG's because the PS2 did, which is a very flawed assumption to make. 

i think ps3 exclusive, some may say what about x360, well people said x360 and ffxiii too but that doesn't look likely anymore.
the wii would be perfect if it wasnt for the graphics, the game would be great on any console, i just think square will have it be a ps3 exclusive, if it was to be put on another console the wii, ithink the 360 has no shot of getting this one.

iclim4 said:
starcraft said:

First point.
Sony "trading largely on potential" may have been true early last year, before holiday 07, But after that point in time, games that were showing ps3's potential were already released. Uncharted, Unreal tournament III, Ratchet and Clank. Those games showed a part of the ps3's potential, you make it sound like the ps3 has no games that take advantage of the system and that it can only move consoles by making promises for better games in the future.

Second point,
Agreed and well said.

Third point.
The PS3 may have not shown an ability to shift JRPG's in the west, but there is no reason to assume that it can't either. The Xbox360 has shown what it could do, and as you have said, it is limited.
Would you rather test on a new system that has a fairly high chance to shift JRPG's because of its legacy, or
would you rather go to the tried and proven to be limited alternative?
Why not just release it for the Wii and DS as others before me have said.
Bigger install base and all.

I'm not talking potential in terms of graphical potential, I'm talking in terms of potential AAA games.  The PS3 doesn't have a single AAA exclusive right now.  SO4 could possibly be one.  If it was PS3 exclusive, Sony would have tried to make that clear by now.

The legacy of the PS2 is entirely seperate to the legacy of the PS3.  The PS2 shifted JRPG's on monstrous userbases, and was the highest selling console in Japan.  If we are going by the PS2's legacy, then SE should release it on the Wii. 

DMeisterJ said:

starcraft said:

This is a flawed theory.  It's not up to Sony whether or not the game is announced exclusive or not, it's up to Square Enix.

Also flawed, this is speculation that if they don't know what platform it's on, that they'll be more apt to buy it?  I think that's grossly incorrect.  Why get excited about a game that you might not get to play.  If that's true, Microsoft is pretty stupid.

Again, flawed.  If this were the case, then FFXIII would be Multi-platform, or Wii Exclusive.  And to top it off, there really aren't any JRPGs worth playing on the PS3 [or even out] to compare to the 360s JRPG lineup.  

See bolded comments.

Well said DMJ. Dodece and Starcraft's argument is just wishful thinking. There is absolutely no bases to their claims. 

Starcraft, can you answer me this question. Why would Sony put a SO4 trailer on the PSP if it wasn't coming to the PS3? Are you seriously suggesting that Sony are advertising a 360 game?

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:

starcraft said:

This is a flawed theory. It's not up to Sony whether or not the game is announced exclusive or not, it's up to Square Enix.

Also flawed, this is speculation that if they don't know what platform it's on, that they'll be more apt to buy it? I think that's grossly incorrect. Why get excited about a game that you might not get to play. If that's true, Microsoft is pretty stupid.

Again, flawed. If this were the case, then FFXIII would be Multi-platform, or Wii Exclusive. And to top it off, there really aren't any JRPGs worth playing on the PS3 [or even out] to compare to the 360s JRPG lineup.

See bolded comments.

Bolded 1:

If the game were PS3 exclusive (or even multiplatform) Sony would have been aware of this LONG ago and would have been pushing square to announce it as such.  Square would have ZERO reason not to do so.

Your theory is still flawed.  No matter how hard Sony may have pushed, it's Square's game, and unless Square was paid, it's their decision.  No matter how hard Sony pushed.

Bolded 2:

Right now most Japanese gamers discount a JRPG immediately and don't give it the time of day hypewise if it is 360 exclusive.  But they are still assuming it will be on the PS3 and are therefore allowing themselves to be hyped for a game.  If the game is announced 360-exclusive, they will still want it, perhaps enough to buy the 360.  For example, I am pumped for Fable 2 (I know its first party), but if it was suddenly switched to PS3, I would be buying a PS3 the day the game launches.  If I had known it was going to be out on the PS3 long ago, I probably would have stopped looking at the title.

Again, flawed.  Your point is speculation, and can never be proven true, but easily proven false.  You say that people will get hyped for a game, then buy a system for it, when that is speculation, but if someone knows a game is coming to their system, and they want the game, they will DEFINITELY get hyped for it.

Bolded 3:

As I said, the PS3 has shown NO ability to move JRPG's.  We all heard the SE executive saying they wouldn't be the sacrificial lamb that puts out games on low user-bases to shift consoles.  Everyone simply assumes it can move JRPG's because the PS2 did, which is a very flawed assumption to make. 

Well, flawed again.  FFXIII is coming exclusively to the PS3, so it looks like they'll be putting out a JRPG on the PS3.  So I guess that they decided to use that as the 'sacraficial lamb', or maybe Square Enix decided to use Star Ocean as the sacraficial lamb, since the series isn't as popular as FF, and Star Ocean has been seeing some love on the PSP in forms of remakes.

See bolded again.

And I should make it clear that I think this game will be Wii-Exclusive, I just like arguing with people somedays though.