By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How MS failed at GTA IV.. again...

The average person does not buy DLC. DLC is for hardcore GTA fans who own a 360 console. GTA 4 on its own with its side quests and main quest will offer over 100 hours of game play just like Oblivion offered a 100 hours of game play.

Around the Network

I think for a site that is all about running the numbers many of us have brought emotion to this thread and discarded our trusted calculators. First these two content packs will be profitable for Microsoft. they need only sell 1.66 million units for each pack to break even were they to charge fifteen dollars. All they need to sell this to is ten percent of their install base. Which is entirely possible and plausible. Especially since the current install base will be two million stronger by the time the first pack arrives.

Beyond that Microsoft has nothing to exploit with details. Two major problems have developed on the console over the last few months. The first problem is production difficulties. Ideally Microsoft should have three to four million consoles available to exploit the demand and have remainder units to replenish shelves. Realistically they have a million units available for launch month. Sales will increase based upon competitive pricing alone. Microsoft really takes a hit for being overly successful during the holidays, and for having manufacturing woes. Frankly it was a major catastrophe. Especially considering they have placed so much effort and faith in this title.

The second problem is titles slipping towards the back end of the calendar. Which creates a greater advertising opportunity in the last four months of the year then they would otherwise enjoy now. They cannot even exploit a greater trend from Grand Theft Auto. There next major title being Ninja Gaiden, but beyond that it is shaping up to be a dull summer. Too many titles have picked up stakes and slipped into the fall. They may be better off saving advertising revenue.

One might suspect that they might even gather up a month with four major game releases. Perhaps September could see a Fable 2, Too Human, Alan Wake, and Left 4 Dead. Which would be more effective advertising the hell out of a game for multiple platforms which you cannot fully exploit, or splitting those kind of resources on four games in the space of a month.

I expect Microsoft to advertise Grand Theft Auto, but when it comes to their extra content packages. I would fully expect them to advertise them when the packages hit later this year along with what should be a powerful short term lineup. Not only would it be more exploitable when it came to holiday shoppers, but it could help to generate a stronger overall impression.

Looking into my crystal ball I see the 360 being sold out in a month. Everyone will talk about it like its a revelation, but the irony is that Microsoft will do this without the massive advertising campaign many posters think they need. The reality most will realize is that Microsoft was in no position to exploit this title regardless. To those hanging on the fence my best advice is to buy now and not find yourself pissed off that you cannot get one.

I can say it Microsoft really screwed up on this one. They will not lose this war on the advertising front. They will lose it on the factory floor. A painful lesson to not underestimate yourself.

^^^^ Do you have proof that they don't have enough consoles for this and next month?

Tease.

@Dodece , your pulling numbers out of thin air . MS shoudln't be supply constrained before the biigest release of the last 2 years. MS should/is

A. Holding back units to be shipped round GTA's release
B.Lie about supply contraints to save face.
C.Get consoles to america/europe by anymeans , even if they have to pay Sony to manufacture 'em( unlikely but i'm just trying to show how neccasery this release is in ensuring MS's success with the 360.)

@Dodece

I never even thought of the supply issue for MS... Can we expect 100k/week sales for the 360? Are they not advertising/hyping GTA IV because they don't have the consoles to sell?

Supposedly MS has fixed the supply issue, but maybe they think they won't have enough stockpiled for the boost in console sale...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

""do I have to? I thought it was pretty obvious, your sports/GTA-loving, PS2 owning, money-lacking, internet-starving people. ;), pretty bold generalization if i might add.""

==> this population exists that is all.
And since I was talking about population it is hard to not make generalisation...

Time to Work !

I think only Hardcore gamers know what DLC.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

I don't know if the OP realizes it or not, but Arsians are not the most well informed lot when it comes to video games...

Gebx sent an email to the journalist about the "Timed exlcusive" comment in his article and this is his reply
G,

There's been no confirmation that the content is a "perpetual exclusive" to the Xbox 360. Unfortunately, the word "exclusive" these days doesn't mean what it used to mean.

As of right now, the content for the Xbox 360 version is exclusive through to the end of 2008. After that, there's no clear answer as to whether or not the content will be made available on the PS3. This is the presumption that the article runs with, as indicated within the text of the article and elsewhere on Ars.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Hope that clears it up for you. :)

Frank Caron
Staff Writer
Ars Technica
http://arstechnica.com
fcaron@arstechnica.com
Gebx isn't going to reply back.. He just wants to show how badly MS is marketing its products... and wonders if the writers second paragraph has any truth behind it...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
Gebx sent an email to the journalist about the "Timed exlcusive" comment in his article and this is his reply
G,

There's been no confirmation that the content is a "perpetual exclusive" to the Xbox 360. Unfortunately, the word "exclusive" these days doesn't mean what it used to mean.

As of right now, the content for the Xbox 360 version is exclusive through to the end of 2008. After that, there's no clear answer as to whether or not the content will be made available on the PS3. This is the presumption that the article runs with, as indicated within the text of the article and elsewhere on Ars.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Hope that clears it up for you. :)

Frank Caron
Staff Writer
Ars Technica
http://arstechnica.com
fcaron@arstechnica.com
Gebx isn't going to reply back.. He just wants to show how badly MS is marketing its products... and wonders if the writers second paragraph has any truth behind it...

I seriously doubt the DLC is coming to PS3.  Just because there wasn't any word about id it will be exclusive in 2009 and so on does not really mean much.  Shelling out 50 mil with hopes of making it back on DLC sales is a risk that probably MS wouldn't take on timed exclusive material.  If anything PS3 will get the content at the earliest in 2010 and that only if the 360 version flops which it won't.

Mil. Sellers:

Wii:      25 titles       101.4 mil total    avg 4 mil per title

PS3:     14 titles      28.6 mil total    avg ~2 mil per title

360:     41 titles      89.8 mil total   avg  >2 mil per title