By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Hallucinating at night

This has happened around 4 times that I can remember. It's been when I'm drifting in and out of sleep, but sometimes I hallucinate when drifting and it's always been the same thing. It looks like a drone camera flying around my room's ceiling at night, so at first I think someone's spying on me until I quickly realize that it's actually not there.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Around the Network

Sure I've hallucinated different things when I've been just drifting out of sleep, don't remember anything specific, just seeing an object that's not actually there for a few seconds, until it fades away.

Yeah, that happens to me too, I generally think I hear someone calling my name, or someone entering my room, when that is not the case.

I sometimes hear the Route 29 theme from Pokemon Gold. Even when nothing is playing.

You might have Narcolepsy. Where you fall asleep very fast and things will actually seem very real like what you've mentioned even though it is not really there. Narcolepsy often starts in the teenage years and gets stronger as the person ages.

Around the Network

It sounds like a similar concept to sleep paralysis, tho that occurs when u wake out of a dream. You can’t move Bc you’re still in REM sleep, but your dream continues to play out in front of you. Sounds like you’re having a dream start to play out, tho it would be quite odd to have the same dream repeat that often lol.

The only thing that i hallucinate about is when im half awake after i fell a sleep very quickly. my body can't move and i try to get up and the harder i try the stronger i am being pulled down.

HomokHarcos said:

This has happened around 4 times that I can remember. It's been when I'm drifting in and out of sleep, but sometimes I hallucinate when drifting and it's always been the same thing. It looks like a drone camera flying around my room's ceiling at night, so at first I think someone's spying on me until I quickly realize that it's actually not there.

Yeh often enough. As I'm half asleep strange voices. Dreams of possession, sick babies yelling obscenities at me, my room turning into a corridor for an old spirit my wife is trying to guide through to the other side only to have him trying to suffocate me with his weight and anger. Mainly shallow dream states for me but I do have a sleeping disorder.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

HomokHarcos said:

Yeah that's sleep paralysis. I've had them several times and theyre the cause of all the alien abduction stories. They also interestingly have cultural similarities, where different cultures experience different hallucinations. Like, americans dream of aliens and government and tech and stuff like that and asians tend to dream about this old witch with long black hair, and south americans dream of animal/monsters.

But for me, first time was hearing a noise and opening my eyes to look at my window but i couldnt see very clearly so i squinted a bit and saw a shadow on the other side, suddenly the window opened and a large figure crawled in through the window and then i woke up lol.

Second time, I was with my girlfriend in my parents house when she was away on vacation and we were sleeping in the master bedroom that my parents dont sleep in because i dunno, they just dont like it. Anyway, I see this figure above the bed just hovering there and it starts to lower down and also get bigger, but I'm like "you're not there, if i believe you're not there, you're not". Then it started to go away, and then I doubted myself and suddenly it was back and bigger than ever and lowered into the bed. And I woke up. At the exact same time, my gf wakes up and was like, "i couldn't breathe i felt like something was crushing me". Definitely not a real ghost experience but very creepy event regardless.

theprof00 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Yeah that's sleep paralysis. I've had them several times and theyre the cause of all the alien abduction stories. They also interestingly have cultural similarities, where different cultures experience different hallucinations. Like, americans dream of aliens and government and tech and stuff like that and asians tend to dream about this old witch with long black hair, and south americans dream of animal/monsters.

But for me, first time was hearing a noise and opening my eyes to look at my window but i couldnt see very clearly so i squinted a bit and saw a shadow on the other side, suddenly the window opened and a large figure crawled in through the window and then i woke up lol.

Second time, I was with my girlfriend in my parents house when she was away on vacation and we were sleeping in the master bedroom that my parents dont sleep in because i dunno, they just dont like it. Anyway, I see this figure above the bed just hovering there and it starts to lower down and also get bigger, but I'm like "you're not there, if i believe you're not there, you're not". Then it started to go away, and then I doubted myself and suddenly it was back and bigger than ever and lowered into the bed. And I woke up. At the exact same time, my gf wakes up and was like, "i couldn't breathe i felt like something was crushing me". Definitely not a real ghost experience but very creepy event regardless.

Those experiences sound pretty cool actually, "seeing" ghosts hovering around.