By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best and Worst Changes in Art Direction?

Medisti said:
HoloDust said:

Zelda being "open air" (whatever the fluff that's supposed to mean) is not my problem - if anything it should've gone open-world long time ago.
However, this particular implementation of it is what doesn't sit right with me - like I said several times in other threads, it reminds me of having (sometimes in the future) Souls open world game, with very little of Souls levels anywhere in the game.

If they keep it this way in the future - oh well, not the first (or most liked) IP I've decided to quit due to substantial changes I don't like, so no big deal really.

Then why are you complaining about it so much in so many different threads if it's no big deal? :P

Not complaining, just stating why I don't find it such a great game...I can't say it won't bother me at all if they keep it this way in the future, but knowing when to let go and stop caring is part of proccess (just like with Fallout and Tomb Raider).

Around the Network

To ugh.

thismeintiel said:

Agreed. Overstrike looked interesting. The change to Fuse completely turned me off of the game.

And the downgrade Mighty No 9 got was pathetic and unnecessary.

Well, the reason is obvious. The Wii U and Switch aren't powerful enough to pull a game like that off. At least not without downgrades. Have to wait for Switch 2.  Though, if they make a Zelda that looks like that, maybe even as an OoT remake, I'd buy that probably Day 1.

They most certainly are powerful enough with baked details.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

HoloDust said:
Medisti said:

Then why are you complaining about it so much in so many different threads if it's no big deal? :P

Not complaining, just stating why I don't find it such a great game...I can't say it won't bother me at all if they keep it this way in the future, but knowing when to let go and stop caring is part of proccess (just like with Fallout and Tomb Raider).

You mean Oblivion with Guns and Uncharted: Girl Edition, right?

On topic, that does actually raise a good point. The art style change from Fallout 1/2 to 3 sucked most of the charm out of the series. Thankfully, they brought it back a little bit in 4.

Another game which changed art direction during development (for the best) is StarCraft :

Alpha: 

Released version : 

Signature goes here!

Worst for me is Xenoblade 2 coming on the heels of Xenoblade X

Around the Network
Medisti said:
HoloDust said:

You mean Oblivion with Guns and Uncharted: Girl Edition, right?

On topic, that does actually raise a good point. The art style change from Fallout 1/2 to 3 sucked most of the charm out of the series. Thankfully, they brought it back a little bit in 4.

Art style didn't bothered me actually that much - lack of FO1/2 communities, humor, characters ad overall quality of storytelling are things that I was missing in Black Isle to Bethesda FO transition - oh, and sondtrack was just awful next to Mark Morgan's atmospheric masterpiece from first 2 games. I still sort of enjoyed FO3 and FO:NV, but FO4 pretty much killed it for me to the point that I don't even consider it RPG anymore, but FPS-RPG hybrid - not terrible game per se, but awful Fallout.

Yet nothing comes close to Tomb Raider reboot, I hate what they've done to TR, especially coming from the same studio that made previous 3 games, with Underworld, as last one, actually being quite decent TR game.

Given that I like both old FOs and TRs more than Zelda (although Zelda is consistently in my Top 10 IPs with 3 or more games)  and that I had to let them go, I'll be fine if another one bites the dust - but, tbh, Zelda has, by far, most chance to change and get my attention again.