By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - God of War is probably the best game of this generation so far

John2290 said:
OTBWY said:

Weekend contrarians that wouldn't speak if it was on Playstation. Oh well, I guess all these people and myself (235h played) were wrong https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/ 

Stop using the "it's on another console" argument, it's petty and the same could be used to you. Perhaps your 235 hours is only because it's on Nintendo. Fact is, His critiques are valid, compare those aspects to many other games this gen and BoTW falls well short. At best that game is a 9, an 8 if it's lucky because the flaws are around every turn and the fun never eclipses them quiet enough to full hide them like the no mans sky weapon degradation just without the annoying voice. The yellow scores on MC were a bit to harsh on it but almost every other score was waaaay to liberal with its praise almost as if they played the game through the honeymoon period and then reviewed.

The thing is, I don't have to take your and his word for it. Most points he made, I disagree with. Most outlets also had no problem with them, so you better make a more in depth argument other than "I don't like thing". Even with the weapon degradation, the reason why it is not a problem is because A: It makes you be careful and strategic with your weapon usage (which is survival, the theme of the game) and after 235h you find that there are more weapons that you can carry. So this is why I don't take your guys' word for it, when presented with weak arguments from the start. So it makes me conclude other things, A: a bias. You don't like this game rating higher than your favourite game. You downplay it purposefully but not fully (game is still great guys! Just overrated!) to not appear fully against it. B: Other motives which play into contrarianism, attention, elitism. Etc. In conclusion, you can have your opinion on the game, but I can also choose to ignore and not take your word. Also I find it funny that you're talking about a honeymoon period, when the game is still getting awards. You'd think that they would look back at the game after a year wouldn't you?

Last edited by OTBWY - on 25 April 2018

Around the Network
Hynad said:
spemanig said:

I'll try to be more optimistic, then! I should get it this week or next.

I played Hellblade too. And that game was such a borefest. It really doesn't compare to God of War. 

God of War's battle gameplay keeps opening up as you progress, becoming better and more versatile. Just the base battle gameplay is already much better than Hellblade, and then it goes up from there.

That should tell you enough.

My problem with Hellblade's combat isn't that it's boring. It's that it's fundamentally, foundational flawed. It's poorly designed, and GoW's combat looks like it's based off of the same foundation. Since everyone is praising its combat, I'm hoping that GoW does enough to fix those problems. But I don't think there's a game in existence that has more in common with this game's combat than Hellblade, so we'll see. I'm being optimistic because GoW is by far my favorite Sony franchise.

If not, Darksiders 3 is pretty much a modern GoW clone with a modernized version of the old school GoW combat, so maybe that'll satiate me. I just want the torch of western hack-n-slash games to live on. Since GoW isn't doing that anymore and it was king there, I hope what combat system is replacing it is worth it.

Last edited by Frogger - on 25 April 2018

spemanig said:
Hynad said:

I played Hellblade too. And that game was such a borefest. It really doesn't compare to God of War. 

God of War's battle gameplay keeps opening up as you progress, becoming better and more versatile. Just the base battle gameplay is already much better than Hellblade, and then it goes up from there.

That should tell you enough.

My problem with Hellblade's combat isn't that it's boring. It's that it's fundamentally, foundational flawed. It's poorly designed, and GoW's combat looks like it's based off of the same foundation. Since everyone is praising its combat, I'm hoping that GoW does enough to fix those problems. But I don't think there's a game in existence that has more in common with this game's combat than Hellblade, so we'll see. I'm being optimistic because GoW is by far my favorite Sony franchise.

Elaborate on how it's fundamentally flawed. 

And no, Hellblade's combat system really isn't like GoW's. GoW's battles are more like those found in the Souls series, if anything.

John2290 said:
OTBWY said:

Weekend contrarians that wouldn't speak if it was on Playstation. Oh well, I guess all these people and myself (235h played) were wrong https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/ 

Stop using the "it's on another console" argument, it's petty and the same could be used to you. Perhaps your 235 hours is only because it's on Nintendo. Fact is, His critiques are valid, compare those aspects to many other games this gen and BoTW falls well short. At best that game is a 9, an 8 if it's lucky because the flaws are around every turn and the fun never eclipses them quiet enough to full hide them like the no mans sky weapon degradation just without the annoying voice. The yellow scores on MC were a bit to harsh on it but almost every other score was waaaay to liberal with its praise almost as if they played the game through the honeymoon period and then reviewed.

I personally think BOTW is one of the few games that really deserve its praise. I played in early 2017 when it came out and then I replayed it form start almost a year later and liked it even more.

The thing is it wrong to assume that a great game is a game without flaws, and I say it for at least two reasons. One is that, if you look at it very closely, you can find flaws in every game, perfection is not a real thing is something to aim for. Secondly you can find games that are very well polished all around and don't have any apparent flaws on surface but at the same time don't offer anything that is really captivating.

To make a comparison (and I take games form the same company not to make any misunderstandings) Mario Odyssey is a near-perfect game, well polished in every presentation aspect, good level design, good soundtrack, new mechanics introduced in every level. But at the same time it hasn't thilled me. Probably after having played Galaxy and 3D World it felt a bit samey.

What keeps me hooked in BOTW is the free world exploration, it's soo good and rewarding that some flaw doesn't tone down the experience a bit for me. I can understand that if you expected a game like OoT you could have been disapponted, because BOTW is just somethign different (just like I remember Resident Evil 4 at the time alienated some of the older RE fans).

Another good example is Dark Souls, a game that doesn't shine in the technical department, difficulty isn't always balanced (even if fans use the git-gud argument), some portions of the game (one in particular) are admittedly unrefined. Yet the combat system, the game progression and exploration are soo good I can say without a sweat it's my favourite game of last generation.

Last edited by freebs2 - on 25 April 2018

i

Last edited by Sam1994 - on 26 April 2018

Around the Network
Hynad said:
spemanig said:

And no, Hellblade's combat system really isn't like GoW's. GoW's battles are more like those found in the Souls series, if anything.

I've talked about it in the Hellblade threads, so I'd rather not get into it here.

I mean I can't say for sure until I get the game, but I've seen gameplay and the combat looks nothing like the Souls combat so if that's the case, I'd be very surprised. Colin Moriarty said it was like Hellblade too though, and he did play (and enjoy) it, so I don't know how much I can believe that at this point. I've heard that the attacks use the shoulder buttons (?), but that alone doesn't make the combat less like Hellblade or more like Souls.

spemanig said:
Hynad said:

I've talked about it in the Hellblade threads, so I'd rather not get into it here.

I mean I can't say for sure until I get the game, but I've seen gameplay and the combat looks nothing like the Souls combat so if that's the case, I'd be very surprised. Colin Moriarty said it was like Hellblade too though, and he did play (and enjoy) it, so I don't know how much I can believe that at this point. I've heard that the attacks use the shoulder buttons (?), but that alone doesn't make the combat less like Hellblade or more like Souls.

I see. Thanks for bringing up something and not providing further explanations.

Hynad said:
spemanig said:

I see. Thanks for bringing up something and not providing further explanations.

I really don't feel like getting into a debate today, so I really don't care that you're not satisfied by that.

Last edited by Frogger - on 25 April 2018

it's one of the best games so far.

Does anybody know what to do when the PS4 won’t download a patch??? 1.15 is out for God of War but I just keep getting the notification “1.15 cannot download”

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website