By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Citra 3DS receives Hardware Renderer Update!

source: https://citra-emu.org/entry/improvements-to-hardware-renderer/

Cut to the chase, how fast is this?

from this:

to this:

Very fast. Test results across various computers show that it averages out to be a 2x speed boost. With the new update, Citra will use much more of your GPU, removing some of the dependence on a CPU with high single-core performance. As always, the actual difference will vary by game and by your specific hardware configuration! In celebration of this massive improvement, we wanted to share some of the successes and struggles we’ve had over the years with the hardware renderer.

Inaccuracy bug's fixed:

From this:

to this:

performance gains:

Around the Network

This is a crazy good update to Citra, alot of those games that would run in the 40-50 fps range,
are now solid 60fps without any dips at all.

If you own a 3ds, and a game you want to try on your pc, Id highly recammend trying out Citra.

3ds:

Citra:

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 10 March 2018

Are they going to add a Vulkan or DX12 backend ?

fatslob-:O said:
Are they going to add a Vulkan or DX12 backend ?

Right now its OpenGL and if you have a fast PC, like 8700k + 1070, you ll be able to play some games at like 200-300 fps.

Naturally everything over 30 or 60 fps (depending on what the 3ds game runs at) is all you need.
So you dont really need vulkan or dx12 (for performance), as most pc's can run things fine.

Ive tested a few games with a G3258 (dual core, haswell pentium) overclocked to 4ghz, and so far havnt run into a game that doesnt run full speed.

Holy...

This thing is running games like butter on my Quadro card...Quadro cards aren't really meant for gaming but it's just amazing! Been waiting to play the Dragon Quest Monsters translation and I guess I'm going to do it now, thanks for the heads up!

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Holy...

This thing is running games like butter on my Quadro card...Quadro cards aren't really meant for gaming but it's just amazing! Been waiting to play the Dragon Quest Monsters translation and I guess I'm going to do it now, thanks for the heads up!

Dragon Quest Monsters Terry’s Wonderland ?
or
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 ?

JRPGfan said:
Ljink96 said:
Holy...

Dragon Quest Monsters Terry’s Wonderland ?
or
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 ?

Joker 3, from what I understand Terry's Wonderland is kinda difficult to run still.

Edit: Nevermind, runs perfectly!

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 10 March 2018

JRPGfan said:

Right now its OpenGL and if you have a fast PC, like 8700k + 1070, you ll be able to play some games at like 200-300 fps.

Naturally everything over 30 or 60 fps (depending on what the 3ds game runs at) is all you need.
So you dont really need vulkan or dx12 (for performance), as most pc's can run things fine.

Ive tested a few games with a G3258 (dual core, haswell pentium) overclocked to 4ghz, and so far havnt run into a game that doesnt run full speed.

Well they should do it regardless to avoid driver pains from AMD and Intel in the future when they'll eventually prioritize accuracy ... 

PCSX2 and CEMU struggle on everything other than Nvidia ... 

Vulkan is a MASSIVE help to getting these emulators run of mobile hardware with their beyond atrocious graphics drivers ... 

That sounds like some nice progress.
I wonder what looks better: Fire Emblem Warriors on the Switch, or the 3DS version running on Citra.

Last edited by caffeinade - on 10 March 2018

This is amazing, the speed in which they are getting this is quite remarcable.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.