By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does Nintendo share more sales figures than PS4 and X-Box 1 and third parties?

KLXVER said:
nemo37 said:

Of course...they are both publicly traded companies.

Well don't they have an obligation to share numbers then?

There are certain numbers that they are obligated to share but I don't think they need to share everything. Particularly for Microsoft, where the Xbox business is not really as large as some of their other businesses (Office, cloud, Windows, etc). While Nintendo does seem to share quite a lot more, they also don't share every data point they know about. For example, Nintendo knows the sell through rate of their systems (as evidenced by the 10 million sell through milestone for Switch they shared with their investors in December) but they do not regularly disclose those numbers but instead provide the shipped number.

Around the Network

Maybe because Nintendo their core business is games, its what they do. Sony does rely most on games but has a ton of other stuff and Microsoft does factor games as one of their important parts of their core business but its not the driving force behind the company.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Surely because they're more committed to their fans than those filthy other companies.

Who knows, but until they give me specific numbers from their digital sales I don't care that they share slightly more information about their sales to shareholders than other companies.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Surely because they're more committed to their fans than those filthy other companies.

Who knows, but until they give me specific numbers from their digital sales I don't care that they share slightly more information about their sales to shareholders than other companies.

What's so important about digital numbers specifically, do tell?

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

That's probably because Nintendo is mainly focused on games, so game and hardware sales are everything

Whereas Sony and Microsoft has a lot more

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
You just got me hype for tomorrow sales figures +_+

tomorrow already?? I thought it was wednesday xD

KrspaceT said:
vivster said:

Those are the interesting numbers that will paint the full picture. Physical only sales data is basically useless nowadays.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think thats most because Nintendo is only gaming company so they go much more in details about their sales, while both and MS and Sony are much bigger companies and dont have only gaming for their business so they share less details.

RolStoppable said:
Because Nintendo is a video game company. They've also sold more consoles and games than anybody else.

Miyamotoo said:
I think thats most because Nintendo is only gaming company so they go much more in details about their sales, while both and MS and Sony are much bigger companies and dont have only gaming for their business so they share less details.

What do you mean "video game company only"? They just recently ventured into distribution of paper.

vivster said:
KrspaceT said:

Those are the interesting numbers that will paint the full picture. Physical only sales data is basically useless nowadays.

Given the numbers they show tend to be higher than the Vgchartz numbers shown, I am pretty sure those numbers do in fact include digital. 

They just don't split things up a la, for example.

Kirby Star Allies

800,000 Physical Sales

400,000 Digital Sales

1.2 million sales Q2 2018. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?