By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Q1 for the good games, Q4 for the mainstream

Which lineup excites you more?

Q1 2018 9 52.94%

Expected Q4 8 47.06%

Total:17

Q1 has become a very important release window for games. Most people only talk about the big holiday games like its the only time for games. Holidays are only for the big AAA FPS and sports games now while most of the quality titles seem to come out early in the year. Look at 2017 we had RE7, Yakuza 0, Nioh, HZD, Gravity Rush 2, Nier and BOTW all early in the year and these were the vast majority of the great games released last year. In the holidays we got FM7, GTS, ACO and SMO and that's all, the rest were mediocre FPS and sports games.

In 2018 we already have MHW and DBF in Q1 to come to great appraisal by gamers and we still have Dissidia in January. We are getting SOTC in February. In turn you could expect Halo 6, COD and a bunch more FPS titles all of which essentially blend together atleast to me. Yes these games will sell more than the Q1 games cause they are mainstream but the hype for Q4 that's always there I feel in unwarranted these days.

Are you more interested in Q1 games or the expected Q4 games of this year? There will of course be a few good games coming at that time but they will be overshadowed by the yearly samey games that people never seem to grow tired of.

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of big games in Q1 alone this year that would turn out amazing. I mean I never expected Nier to be good at all, let alone a GOTY  contender but it blew away my expectations.

Last edited by GOWTLOZ - on 23 January 2018

Around the Network

I recall thinking last year's Q1 was unusual in how good it turned out to be, as it generally seemed like big releases follow E3 each year. Might be anamolous.

I feel as though Nier gets more praise than it deserves. I found it to be too short, and too empty, but I did finish it (only once).

Anyways, I can't imagine why Q1 would be the best time to release "good games". I'll go with Q4 on this one.

Ka-pi96 said:
I personally find Q1 to be seriously lacking pretty much ever year. You might get 1 good game in there, but rarely more than that. Q3 is the best time for games for me. July and August aren't great months, but September is usually awesome!

That wasn't the case last year and this year seems no different. Also 2013 and 14 had strong Q1 releases. There are already two great games releasing on the 26th of January this year and there's more to come xD

Johnw1104 said:
I recall thinking last year's Q1 was unusual in how good it turned out to be, as it generally seemed like big releases follow E3 each year. Might be anamolous.

2013 had MGR R, DMC Devil May Cry, GOW A, TR and BI. 2014 had Titanfall and Infamous Second Son which were the two best games released that year besides Nintendo games that I can't comment about as I didn't have a Nintendo platform. Surely there are more. It was just that 2016 Q1 was weak but every other year I can think of has many of its best games released early in the year but the trend has grown stronger.

Last year, PS4's Q1 was stellar, and I was extremely dissapointed about the last half of the year. I probably haven't played any PS4 in that period. But, my god, the first half of the year was extremely good.

Around the Network

The last few years Q1 has been WAY better than Q4, IMO. This year, however, has little that interests me. Though there is little coming out this year that I'm interested, in general (pretty much just RDR2 and Valkyrie Chronicles 2).

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

RaptorChrist said:
I feel as though Nier gets more praise than it deserves. I found it to be too short, and too empty, but I did finish it (only once).

Anyways, I can't imagine why Q1 would be the best time to release "good games". I'll go with Q4 on this one.

I feel like it probably got slightly more praise than it deserved, but it still was quite good. You don't really play through it multiple times, as you play a different character each time and different levels. I'm not sure why they really phrase it that way. But it did get better after playing through it all 3 times, I thought. 

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

RaptorChrist said:

You actually finished it?I was bored after 4hours of playing,gave it to my brother and he played it for 3 and gave me back.The combat was good but the world was absolutely boring.

God of War is not releasing in Q1 so it doesn't look so good now.

I have a feeling Q2 might be the best one this year with games like God of War, RDR2 and Detroit there sounds like there will be some good stuff during that quarter. Also there are heaps of games that still have the generic 2018 release date so maybe even Q3 or Q4 could be the best.