By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My PS3 died

Doesn't make any sense if Sony doesn't fix it for you.
I sold my 360 to a friend then it got RROD on him. He was able to get it fixed without a problem.
Why wouldn't Sony do the same?
I'm sure they will fix it for you.

Around the Network

Did you call yet?

really curious to see how
Sony takes care of you.

Daddo Splat said:
Chrizum said:
DMeisterJ said:
Chrizum said:
DMeisterJ said:
You probably shouldn't buy consoles second-hand in the future. As you won't be able to prove original purchase date, etc.

I don't like second-hand consoles too, but Nintendo and Microsoft (and all other electronics manufacturers for that matter) don't use receipts for repairs, but serial numbers. I guess Sony likes its costumers angry and frustrated.

I will try the system restore option (first making some backups) and if that doesn't work, I'll call Sony. Who knows, maybe they'll repair it for free after all...

I still don't get this thread.

You bought something, second-hand, and you expect the manufacturer to replace/fix it, for free, when god only knows what the first owner of the system did to it.

Maybe you shouldn't have tried to be frugal and bought a new one.

Can't you read? ALL companies don't give a rat's ass about receipts, it's the serial code that counts. I didn't know Sony was so anal about receipts.

besides how many people here would buy my used 60 gig launch PS3 over a new 40 gig balless one???

I hear a lot of people want the original with the emotion chip set!

obviously you probably got a good deal used so if they do charge to fix it it would probably run around $149.95 just call and let us know!

From what I've read the 60 GB runs hotter than the 40Gb because of the extra hardware. One here complained how loud their 60 Gb fan (run at much higher speeds) got while watching Blu-ray movies while My 40GB fan doesn't speed up at all running Blu-ray movies. There only a few times I've heard the fan run at higher speed (a few times playing Uncharted) and even then only a few minutes.

So since the emotion chip produces more heat I rather not have BC since I still have 2 working PS2.

what did you do? drop it down the stairs. not many PS3's break.

Around the Network

Update: I tried a system restore today, but I still have the problem. Tomorrow (monday) I'll call Sony.

Does anyone know if replacing the HDD will fix the problem?

EDIT: I have the 80010514 error: corrupted HDD

thats virtually the only problem the ps3 gets and its that one but i heard Sony were really good with things like this and will definitely replace your console if its under warranty but you might have troubles with no receipt actually, guess you'll just have to ring up and see.

Platinums/100% Completion: Super Stardust HD, Linger In Shadows, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Burnout Paradise, Shaun White Snowboarding, Tomb Raider: Underworld, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator: Salvation, Assassin's Creed II, WipEout HD, Ratchet And Clank: A Crack In Time, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, God Of War, God of War II, God of War III, inFamous.

Working on: GTA IV - 87%, Batman: Arkham Asylum - 80%.

my PSX broke down after 2 years, in 1997
and it was out of it's warranty AND it was modded (!!)
but the shop still send it to Sony
and I actually got a new one! lol

so I wish you good luck..

''Hadouken!''

Chrizum said:
DMeisterJ said:
Chrizum said:
DMeisterJ said:
You probably shouldn't buy consoles second-hand in the future. As you won't be able to prove original purchase date, etc.

I don't like second-hand consoles too, but Nintendo and Microsoft (and all other electronics manufacturers for that matter) don't use receipts for repairs, but serial numbers. I guess Sony likes its costumers angry and frustrated.

I will try the system restore option (first making some backups) and if that doesn't work, I'll call Sony. Who knows, maybe they'll repair it for free after all...

I still don't get this thread.

You bought something, second-hand, and you expect the manufacturer to replace/fix it, for free, when god only knows what the first owner of the system did to it.

Maybe you shouldn't have tried to be frugal and bought a new one.

Can't you read? ALL companies don't give a rat's ass about receipts, it's the serial code that counts. I didn't know Sony was so anal about receipts.

I bought my PS3 on Ebay and they accepted it for repair.  I told the woman on the phone that I had lost the receipt and paid cash for it.

Chrizum said:
I bought it second hand because I hear the warranty is "attached" to the serial code on the console, not on the receipt.

I guess I was wrong. Microsoft and Nintendo have no problems with replacing consoles without a receipt, so why won't Sony?? (if it's true what you say)

It's probably due to the extreme number of PS3's that sat on store shelves for months.  One that was bought next to launch might have one number off from another one that sat on store shelves for 3-4 months before being bought.