By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ‘Gaming disorder’ to be an official mental health condition

fatslob-:O said:
ironmanDX said:

You've spent years discussing it. 10k posts in only a few years. What's the difference?

Are you really going to argue 6 that posts per day is the equivalent of a habitual excessive gaming addiction ? My time spent on this forum probably amounts to no more than 30 minutes daily since I've started and not all of them are related to gaming either ... 

There's no excuse to be spending more than 15 hours a week on gaming, that's just straight up a mental condition that some people are not willing to admit ... 

6 posts at 30 minutes a day is reasonable, without a doubt. So we'll ignore times when you don't post and just read comments and articles. That's 3.5 hours a week though. Spend a mere 6.5 hours a week gaming and you're basically at this "gaming disorder" threshold.

So, the question becomes... How often do you game? More than 6.5 hours?

I have no doubt gaming can be an addiction leading to a condition... But the 11 hours or so for my fellow Aussie gamers and I? That's got to be a joke.

Around the Network

There's no excuse to be spending more than 15 hours a week on gaming, that's just straight up a mental condition that some people are not willing to admit ... 

Wow, you are being very liberal with what you consider a "mental condition". This is honestly the kind of  thing a grandpa would write on a type writer because he still doesn't understand how a computer works. Sure, gaming addictions and disorders exist. But 15 hours a week as a limit? I personally don't game that much, I have a bad habit of picking up gaming and dropping it completely for weeks, but I know for a fact that many people on this forum who are as successful or more successful than your average joe probably spend 20 hours a week gaming. 15 hours is not a lot especially when you consider to a lot of people it's their only digital hobby (no movies, tv shows, and if you count it music). And that increases if you're including weekends, where you might indulge a little bit more or have more free time. Maybe then it goes to 25 hours. So what? It's not a big deal. 

Edit: Just to be clear, the second sentence is just silly hyperbole :)

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 31 December 2017

From the OP:

"Increasing priority given to gaming, to the extent that gaming takes priority over other interests and daily activities."

I call this doing it right. The only disorder I see is prioritizing other interests or daily activities over gaming :)

It definitely is a mental condition and it should also be defined as one ...

Gaming is only supposed to be an occasional indulgence so one shouldn't spend their only valuable limited time that they have left on just games most of the time since it's just a waste of life to consume cheap digital content ...

How can there be so much wrong in just 2 sentences?

I didn't know there was an officially approved way in which people "should" spend their own free time. Is there a list of tasks that don't count as "waste of life"?

How about we leave up to each person how much their hobby is or isn't a waste of life?

I agree with this is some ways, however I’m not sure I’d call it a disorder but more a serious addiction. I had s friend who bought a gaming PC and slowly we stopped seeing him more n more. We would ring him and ask if he fancied some wild camping, some bouldering or just coming for A drink and sometimes he’d come but over time he was clearly getting addicted. He stopped answering calls and ignored the door. At work he looked pale and would only talk about counterStrike (that was the game)
We took the piss saying he’s become a recluse and he would just admit it and didn’t care. He just said to us when not at work he just liked to play CS and had a clan etc.
He wasn’t even eating properly. Because cooking took up too much gaming time. This literally went on fit around 2 years and he simply couldn’t be classed as a friend anymore besides he didn’t like us warning him he had a problem.

In the end he randomly came out and said he was getting rid of his pc as it’s took over his social life and tobiur amazement he actually did and he moved to America but came back after 4-5 months saying he didn’t enjoy it that much.over there. He’s well and truly stopped gaming all together now though, doesn’t even own a console.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

6 posts at 30 minutes a day is reasonable, without a doubt. So we'll ignore times when you don't post and just read comments and articles. That's 3.5 hours a week though. Spend a mere 6.5 hours a week gaming and you're basically at this "gaming disorder" threshold.

So, the question becomes... How often do you game? More than 6.5 hours?

I have no doubt gaming can be an addiction leading to a condition... But the 11 hours or so for my fellow Aussie gamers and I? That's got to be a joke.

I can tell you that I game no more than 5 hours a week on average ... (I literally don't see the reason to spend more than 1 hour per weekday on games when you realize how little life has to offer since a normal real life gives you less than 8 hours of free time.) 

11 hours is definitely cutting into available time and could potentially be a cause for concern, can you really imagine spending a 1/5th or more of your time for gaming as ideal for quality of life ? 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Wow, you are being very liberal with what you consider a "mental condition". This is honestly the kind of  thing a grandpa would write on a type writer because he still doesn't understand how a computer works. Sure, gaming addictions and disorders exist. But 15 hours a week as a limit? I personally don't game that much, I have a bad habit of picking up gaming and dropping it completely for weeks, but I know for a fact that many people on this forum who are as successful or more successful than your average joe probably spend 20 hours a week gaming. 15 hours is not a lot especially when you consider to a lot of people it's their only digital hobby (no movies, tv shows, and if you count it music). And that increases if you're including weekends, where you might indulge a little bit more or have more free time. Maybe then it goes to 25 hours. So what? It's not a big deal. 

It is definitely a mental condition no less and I'm being literal in the definition since just about any mental state is also a mental condition. 15 hours a week on average is god damned insanity and at 25 hours a week you should question their social lives at that point ... 

Also define "success" for me ? 

setsunatenshi said:

I didn't know there was an officially approved way in which people "should" spend their own free time. Is there a list of tasks that don't count as "waste of life"?

How about we leave up to each person how much their hobby is or isn't a waste of life?

Mad ? I didn't dictate how people should spend their own free time but that doesn't mean people can't ostracize them for it ... 

LOL, I didn't know that their was "pride" to be had in gaming around here ... 

It is definitely a mental condition no less and I'm being literal in the definition since just about any mental state is also a mental condition. 15 hours a week on average is god damned insanity and at 25 hours a week you should question their social lives at that point ... 

Also define "success" for me ? 

How is 2 hours a day "insanity"? You can have a busy life and still do  that ...

25 hours is kind of pushing it but my point is that's a much more reasonable standard than "WOW GUYS 2 HOURS IS INSANITY!!!!!"

I mean did it take you 10-12 days to finish The Last of Us? 

Your point about being literal because "any mental state is also a mental condition" is so stupid that I'm not sure you can even take yourself seriously at that point. Obviously what I mean is a dangerous or unstable mental health condition, not just any general mental condition. And you KNOW THAT'S THE CONTEXT since your original statement was " that's just straight up a mental condition ", implying and confirming it to be from your point of view a negative condition. If you are using the context of "well every mental state is a mental condition" than you wouldn't have ever used the word "mental condition" the way you did because that can just refer to any mental state.  But the subject wasn't literally every mental state, it was a negative one, in which I said you are being very liberal in your judgement of what a negative state is. You're not being literal at this point, you are just contorting  the point to make it sound literal. Also, what's even the point in saying "mental state" and "mental condition" when they're the same thing? That's very redundant and just makes sequenced sentences needlessly convoluted. 

And to think that I don't even care much about this topic, but your post is so odd that it grabs my attention  

setsunatenshi said:

Mad ? I didn't dictate how people should spend their own free time but that doesn't mean people can't ostracize them for it ... 

LOL, I didn't know that their was "pride" to be had in gaming around here ... 

don't worry about my emotional state, being mad, happy, sad or disappointed has nothing to do with what I asked.

you're plenty free to ostracize anyone you feel like personally, but as it was pointed out previously, it's kind of hypocritical of you to judge other people's video gaming hobby while pushing past 10k posts in a gaming forum yourself.

seems to me like at least those people are actually playing the games, not just "wasting their lives" talking about them :D

How is 2 hours a day "insanity"? You can have a busy life and still do  that ...

25 hours is kind of pushing it but my point is that's a much more reasonable standard than "WOW GUYS 2 HOURS IS INSANITY!!!!!"

I mean did it take you 10-12 days to finish The Last of Us? 

Your point about being literal because "any mental state is also a mental condition" is so stupid that I'm not sure you can even take yourself seriously at that point. Obviously what I mean is a dangerous or unstable mental health condition, not just any general mental condition. And you KNOW THAT'S THE CONTEXT since your original statement was " that's just straight up a mental condition ", implying and confirming it to be from your point of view a negative condition. If you are using the context of "well every mental state is a mental condition" than you wouldn't have ever used the word "mental condition" the way you did because that can just refer to any mental state.  But the subject wasn't literally every mental state, it was a negative one, in which I said you are being very liberal in your judgement of what a negative state is. You're not being literal at this point, you are just contorting  the point to make it sound literal. Also, what's even the point in saying "mental state" and "mental condition" when they're the same thing? That's very redundant and just makes sequenced sentences needlessly convoluted. 

And to think that I don't even care much about this topic, but your post is so odd that it grabs my attention  

It IS a negative condition but I guess this is what happens when I'm one of the only few in our community to admit a problem that quite a few are overly zealous about hobby ... 

How can anyone justify that having behaviour above 2 standard deviations being "normal" which describes just less than 3% of the total population ?  

It's absolutely a shitty thing to do to spend more time than needed for gaming since it kills your quality of life like we see in the example provided by StokedUp ... 

setsunatenshi said:

don't worry about my emotional state, being mad, happy, sad or disappointed has nothing to do with what I asked.

you're plenty free to ostracize anyone you feel like personally, but as it was pointed out previously, it's kind of hypocritical of you to judge other people's video gaming hobby while pushing past 10k posts in a gaming forum yourself.

seems to me like at least those people are actually playing the games, not just "wasting their lives" talking about them :D

Yeap, I definitely hit a nerve ... 

And you must not know the word "hypocritical" very well ...