By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Soooo did the Xbox One X succeed?

LudicrousSpeed said:
No one but Nintendo makes a lot of money off hardware sales. What you described (subscription fees, software sales, plus one you didn’t mention, licensing fees) is how Sony and Microsoft make money in gaming.

I will need to double check, but IIRC both Microsoft and Sony have already started making profits off their current gen consoles. A different scenario to last gen, at least for Sony, as it took them over 5 years before they could start re-couping costs. That's excluding X1X as that is fairly new, but as its an incremental HW update, I would think they can re-coup costs on that quite quickly, if it sells well in the number for the economies of scale make it profitable. A big IF.

Last edited by CartBlanche - on 26 December 2017

Around the Network

X1X did great on its first month, but again this is not for all type of gamers. $500 is too much for most for a hardware console.

Microsoft really need to have more IPs and release it like how Nintendo would try to have the game(s) per month. The big titles per quarter. They really need to experiment and try to have new IPs, acquire studios and build a robust list of games with different genres. If they are really serious on the console business, else they would just go back to PC. or the next XBOX would just be like a great spec'd Nvdia shield.

CartBlanche said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Did you just say Microsoft will leave console market by the end of 2019?

I did :). No point doing safe predictions. So do you think it will be before 2019?

No, I see it happening in the next five years and after that we will see. Too early to predict further than that.

No, it didn't succeed. The launch was lukewarm. The Scorpio Edition and Base version were available on Amazon for order the day it was released and after, so they didn't sell out - and they weren't getting bought from the shelves from where I work on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Microsoft couldn't even sell the intentionally limited supply that they had for launch, which in my book is a failure. 

TranceformerFX said:

No, it didn't succeed. The launch was lukewarm. The Scorpio Edition and Base version were available on Amazon for order the day it was released and after, so they didn't sell out - and they weren't getting bought from the shelves from where I work on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Microsoft couldn't even sell the intentionally limited supply that they had for launch, which in my book is a failure. 

Harsh words but true imo

Around the Network
drkohler said:
Guitarguy said:

Given that the console has been out over a month now and it has been beating the PS4 Pro in pretty much every comparison (not unexpected but still a huge benefit)

Congrats, great way to start a flamewar.

Now, to rain into your parade, here are a few numbers (from an apparently trustworthy resetera source). The X sold 430k in November in NA (making up roughly two thirds of ww sales), the Pro sold 260k in comparison. PS4 sales in NA make up about a third of ww sales, so we can guess ww sales of the Pro at around 780k (probably even higher, as MC reported high sales of Pros in Japanrecently). Solidly BEATING ww sales of the X, even in its launch month. That simple calculation would shoot down your pet theory. Now how's that for starting a flamewar?

You're a moron. He was blatantly talking about game  quality comparisons.....not sales. DUH.

Warned ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 26 December 2017

CartBlanche said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Did you just say Microsoft will leave console market by the end of 2019?

I did :). No point doing safe predictions. So do you think it will be before 2019?

Highly unlikely as the xbox strategy is now somewhat different to the 360 days. As you say and I do agree the focus will move to an xbox branded pc strategy for other hardware makers to enter the the xbox live market with gaming pc hardware.  However much the same as the Surface strategy, Microsoft will want to keep one foot into the hardware space, - not to profit from it, but rather to showcase what it can produce for inspiring manufacturers with cutting edge design, power and form (in fact with windows phone excepted, MS has never before been so involved with hardware like now with 3 types of surface iterations including laptop and 2 very different versions of xbox on the market). I believe the XboxOne X is the beginning of this strategy moving forward.. It basically is just a powerful pc. MS even said themselves that it never expected the One X to be a huge sales driver, and yet it even surpassed their expectations. Again they are not in the hardware space to make money, - its the xbox live subs and service where the money is being made and that remains very profitable. 

The near to mediam future for the xbox brand will be a hybrid pc/console approach with the console effort just being a token presence like surface. Much different to the old 360 days but nevertheless its consoles (or pc in a box) not going away anytime soon.  Especially by 2019, that verges on a silly prediction imo.  MS has for years been saying they are committed to xbox and people on this site for years have been making the same console exiting prediction which time and time again never ever even eventuates (it must get disappointing for them lol :))...Furthermore I believe the profitability with xbox is better now than it was with the 360.  They have more reason to stay on, with less focus on hardware and just the tokenistic (showcasing) presence that I explain above.;- Until of course Xbox/ PlayStation just become a service and completely replace consoles altogether. Analyst Michael Pachter is very firm in his belief that this will occur by the 2020's. By then this is where MS will have a better preparedness for gaming. every pc, tablet possibly phone will become your playstation and xbox.  And the likes of Sony and MS can still make variants for showcasing design and potential. This is the ultimate future.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Pillertriller said:
TranceformerFX said:

Harsh words but true imo

I want Microsoft to be successful so that it gives Sony the necessary competition to be better, and vice versa. But honestly, The Xbox One just isn't a good console from a library perspective - and they've shown little to no inclination to change that. And if their exclusive library doesn't improve, neither will their Xbox One X. Sony can offer a checkerboard 4K option for $100 less in the form of the Pro, or $150 less if you bought it on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Not to mention in terms of design and aesthetics - the PS4 Pro looks a lot sexier than the One X. Next year, PS4 Pro owners are gonna get checkerboard 4K support for Spider Man, God of War, Shadow of Colossus, Days Gone and Detroit: Become Human. Microsoft has/had Scalebound.... And Crackdown, but Crackdown 3 is TBA. 

CartBlanche said:

To be clear Microsoft are making money from Xbox Live subscriptions and downloadable (last gen) games, not as much from console sales.

That goes without saying as the majority of time Microsoft doesn't make money from the actual console sales themselves.
The Original Xbox was a massive money sink.
The Xbox 360's hardware took a long time to be profitable, even when ignoring the $1 billion+ bill they had for RROD repairs.

CartBlanche said:

Hence why in the long run they'll drop the console side and go back to their PC roots.

Or. They will just keep making consoles and keep raking in billions.
They are a business, money talks.

CartBlanche said:

2018 will be a pivotal year for them. If X1X somehow magically takes off, I might be totally wrong about what I've predicted. Right now, based on November and December X1X sales and a lack of 1st party games in 2018, I can't see the trend changing for their super duper console, just yet. Time will tell

Anyone who thinks the Xbox One X will somehow magically "take off" is absolutely delusional.
That was never the intention of that particular hardware release anyway.

Plus we have the Playstation 4 Pro as the precedent to go by.

Success? Sure. Don't conflate the differences though.

2018 could be a make or break year as far as games are concerned... Crackdown 3 has already drawn the ire of gamers everywhere with it's lacklusture visuals, Sea of Thieves could be a solid title... We might get Halo 6? There will obviously be a new Forza. And who knows what else?

2019 is what scares me though on the games front, it could be even worst than 2017.

3sexty said:

Highly unlikely as the xbox strategy is now somewhat different to the 360 days.

To me it feels like the Xbox strategy is more like the original Xbox, just with crappier games and less exclusives.

3sexty said:

its the xbox live subs and service where the money is being made and that remains very profitable. 

Microsoft is also selling servers to run said games as well. That's been extremely lucrative for Microsoft in recent years.

3sexty said:

Analyst Michael Pachter is very firm in his belief that this will occur by the 2020's.

I don't know why anyone listens to Pachter.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

It succeeded for me. Best console I've ever owned!