By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next "TALES OF" announcement at december 16th?

Nem said:
Acevil said:

By duds, do you include everything after Vesperia or everything after Symphonia (I encountered those that don't even give Vesperia a chance, due to it being on that other console.)

After Vesperia. Actually i wish the announcement was a remaster of the PS3 version of Vesperia. That would make me happy.

I know some staunt apologists of the series will jump at me, but ever since the series just dropped massively in quality, and despite the sales peak with Xillia it has been declining with every installment. Nothing after Vesperia was good, and if they want to save the series, they need to take a long look at their better games (2D classics, Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia) and realise what made them great. Spoilers: it was the pacing and 2D style combat.

I agree and disagree. Graces F was good besides story. Xillias I enjoyed. Didn't mind Zest. And Berseria has been awesome. The gameplay is pretty damn good besides in Zesty. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
I think Vesperia Remaster is most likely a lock. PS4/ PC/ Switch. X1 possible in the West.
New mainline title for PS4/ PC. Switch possible

Why would they just through the Switch the scraps? I mean I tend to be the guy saying that not every game needs to be on Switch .... but a new Tales Of game? That should be on lockdown.

Everyone's singing praises of Vesperia and I never got to play it so a remaster on Switch and PS4 would be great. I, personally, would like to see how they'd approach Tales of Phantasia in full 3D. It's one of my favorite JRPGs of all time and I really wish they'd just go all in on that remake.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
twintail said:
I think Vesperia Remaster is most likely a lock. PS4/ PC/ Switch. X1 possible in the West.
New mainline title for PS4/ PC. Switch possible

Why would they just through the Switch the scraps? I mean I tend to be the guy saying that not every game needs to be on Switch .... but a new Tales Of game? That should be on lockdown.

Pretty sure it was confirmed that a brand new tales game was in development for Switch? I may be wrong. But if Bandai Namco was smart they'd make sure to put it on Switch, not make it "possible". This thing is the gaming future of Japan for at least the next 4 years.

twintail said:

You are right, it should be. Especially with Baba gone a Switch version should be inevitable. Though honestly, and this is not a slight on the Switch but it would be nice to finally see another Tales of that actually embraces tech for once and not continue with these rather subpar looking games.

and what I should have said is that from planning those titles I mentioned are what I think are the focal points from the start. Whether that changes is where there the possible part comes in.

Ljink96 said:

Pretty sure it was confirmed that a brand new tales game was in development for Switch? I may be wrong. But if Bandai Namco was smart they'd make sure to put it on Switch, not make it "possible". This thing is the gaming future of Japan for at least the next 4 years.

I cant remember, but new is subjective. a port of Versperia with added content is technically new too. And gaming future doesnt mean anything when it comes to Tales and Nintendo. Wii was gaming future in Japan and Tales died on its release in JPN. 3DS was gaming future and the 2 releases (yeah not that fantastic I agree) didnt set the island alight.

Like ppl act as if Tales of and Nintendo are a match in heaven or something but very rarely has this actually produced significant results.

Tales will come to Switch one way or another. Be it enhanced ports or brand new titles (especially with Baba gone). And thats great. But I do think the PS4 takes lead for the most part, and thats where the easy bet lies. But who knows, maybe Switch gets exclusive Tales too. its just my musings. I hope everyone is happy when the event ends.

1.) Wii wasn't a handheld or a hardcore gaming device for many. Handhelds are the future of Japan, I didn't bring up anything about the Wii... Tales of the Abyss 3D sold better than the original Tales of the Abyss on PS2...even though PS2 had a much larger install base.  Why a port of a game that sold better than the original didn't prompt them to bring more tales to 3ds is beyond me. We say it's a "match made in heaven" because Switch is finally able to handle Tales console games and it's portable. Any Japanese game on Switch is going to automatically benefit from that added portability.

2.) The 2nd best selling game in the series is Tales of Symphonia and it had a much lower installbase than Xilia had on PS3 and that is currently the best selling title. And Tales became a PS thing for the same reasons FF became a PS thing. Only Namco has revisited Nintendo and seen good results. Why they never return to Nintendo as often as they should is as good a guess as anybody else's.

1/4th of all tales series software was also sold on Nintendo hardware. So around 5 million is really nothing to sneeze at. Especially for a series as niche as tales.

3.) I will make a bet any day of the week that if a Tales game comes to Switch, it'll outsell the PS4 version Lifetime. I'd go to my grave on that. Switch is going to swiftly surpass the PS4 in hardware sales and those who get on early will see great results. Hell, Bomberman sold 500K+ units. If they were smart, they'd support the Switch fully. Switch should be able to handle any Tales game that has been developed so far and most likekly the newest game. They don't require much of a gpu to run due to them not utilizing PBR pipeline in the same way western developers do. It's just a no brainer. Japanese developers were reported to be scrambling to get support on Switch, and rightfully so. It is THE platform to support and it's able to handle the same games that they're used to developing on PS4 and Xbox One. That's the main difference in support.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 01 December 2017

Around the Network

A new Tales of title announcement would be cool to see. I'd give that a shot to see if it sells me on it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Didn't really like the most recent one so much, and I hope this time they don't hold back on graphical power. I would be really disappointed if the new one looks like a PS3 game.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

No doubt Switch will get a game from that show. I just wonder if it will be a port or a new game. I am kinda greedy and want a port of the gamecube tales game but anything works.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

deskpro2k3 said:
Didn't really like the most recent one so much, and I hope this time they don't hold back on graphical power. I would be really disappointed if the new one looks like a PS3 game.

agree, reall hope too, to seeing the next entry with better visuals than the last

twintail said:

You are right, it should be. Especially with Baba gone a Switch version should be inevitable. Though honestly, and this is not a slight on the Switch but it would be nice to finally see another Tales of that actually embraces tech for once and not continue with these rather subpar looking games.

and what I should have said is that from planning those titles I mentioned are what I think are the focal points from the start. Whether that changes is where there the possible part comes in.

I just find it odd how everytime a JRPG is announced you say it will definitely be on PS4 but just "maybe" Switch. Although I guess I can understand that reasoning, cause third parties are taking their sweet ass time

Yeah I think the Switch could be powerful enough to have a Tales of game based on a PS4 engine(from what I understand they've been reusing an old engine?). Either way, if it's just on PS4 i'll just buy it there. No skin off  my back.