By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My suggestion for Patreon

Does Patreon need an emotional support tier?

Yes 2 66.67%

No 1 33.33%

See results 0 0%

Total:3

With Youtube’s strangulation of its own creator; Content creators have been forced to find new ways to breath.
Many have flocked to Patreon, and some have found success, but there is one major issue.
Patreon requires users to pay money to follow their favorite creators.

Patreon needs to have an emotional support tier.
A free tier, that Patreon can use to lure in users who do not want, or can not pay anything.
These users should be able to receive video notifications via the Patreon service; bit by bit edging them closer to becoming a paying user.

Alternatively Patreon could offer trial periods: where Patreon is willing to offer a month’s patronage for free to select users.

Either way, Patreon should be doing a better job at riding the ad-pocalypse wave of hate.

Around the Network

You do know Patreons have a follow button? You will get mails whenever a free post of that Patreon is released.

Also, you might not have heard but Patreon is on its best way to become just as bad as Youtube. It has already started strangulating adult content creators by banning harmless fringe sexual content. Not long before other "objectionable" content will be banned. Just like on Youtube.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

You do know Patreons have a follow button? You will get mails whenever a free post of that Patreon is released.

Also, you might not have heard but Patreon is on its best way to become just as bad as Youtube. It has already started strangulating adult content creators by banning harmless fringe sexual content. Not long before other "objectionable" content will be banned. Just like on Youtube.

I didn't know about the follow button.
...and that is an issue; if you have a great new feature, market it.
Push it.

I did know about the new restrictions, but that only harms a select audience.

caffeinade said:
vivster said:

Push it.

That's how it all starts. And then suddenly.... lootboxes.

I know I'm biased here because I am one of the select people it harms but what it shows is how much of a monopoly Patreon already has on crowd funding. It has power over people's livelihoods just as much as Youtube or Twitch and that is not a good thing. People are still sticking to Patreon despite the new rules that harm them because they can't get that kind of exposure on any other platform. That should sound familiar to you.

We should be wary of this. The more popular Patreon becomes the more it will feel beholden to please big companies and maybe in the future even shareholders. Right now it's just "objectionable" content, tomorrow it's DMCA claims.

BTW adult content on Patreon makes quite a sizable chunk of their revenue.

https://graphtreon.com/top-patreon-creators

Almost a quarter of the Top 100 Creators make adult content and most of them are hit by the new rules.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
caffeinade said:

Push it.

I know I'm biased here because I am one of the select people it harms but what it shows is how much of a monopoly Patreon already has on crowd funding. It has power over people's livelihoods just as much as Youtube or Twitch and that is not a good thing. People are still sticking to Patreon despite the new rules that harm them because they can't get that kind of exposure on any other platform. That should sound familiar to you.

We should be wary of this. The more popular Patreon becomes the more it will feel beholden to please big companies and maybe in the future even shareholders. Right now it's just "objectionable" content, tomorrow it's DMCA claims.

Almost a quarter of the Top 100 Creators make adult content and most of them are hit by the new rules.

I don't think we are on the same page.

I don't agree with what Patreon is doing, but I think they can be doing it better.
If they want to be this huge corporation that abuses their user-base, they are doing it inefficiently.

I am not stating that it would be beneficial to the users in the long run.

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
vivster said:

I don't think we are on the same page.

I don't agree with what Patreon is doing, but I think they can be doing it better.
If they want to be this huge corporation that abuses their user-base, they are doing it inefficiently.

I am not stating that it would be beneficial to the users in the long run.

So you want them to become more popular so they can become an evil company in the future? I'm confused.