By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where is Microsoft headed from here on out?

Where do you think Microsoft will focus on?

PC 62 54.87%

Xbox 14 12.39%

Equal focus on both 37 32.74%

Total:113
ThisGuyFooks said:

My question is:

If Xbox cease to exist tomorrow, what will be the legacy of Xbox? How did they contributed to the industry? In which way they pushed the industry forward?

I would say definitely Xbox Live. The first serious attempt at online gaming for consoles. Everything before was kind of an afterthought. Stuff like SegaNet didn't compare. Xbox definitely brought the PC type infrastructure to gaming, and it was better for it. We got hdds for space as opposed to memory cards, and that was definitely a great thing. Only downer is that you had to pay for the service, and the others jumped on that business model, kind of tainting it in the process.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
So a system that is well on its way to outsell the snes isn't successful? Okkaayyy......

They don't need to beat PS to be successful, you know...

They kinda do though. They are not Nintendo, they dont have Mario or Zelda to sell mediocre hardware. Sony is dominating at the best time possible and will probably deal the death blow next gen. Nintendo will continue to release completely different devices with each generation and sell based on Brand loyalty

ThisGuyFooks said:
RJ_Sizzle said:
I don't know, but I know they're not leaving. As long as MS makes billions, they'll keep Xbox around as a pet project even if it's not profitable. I have a feeling the next console is going to be REALLY interesting. Watching MS mobilize around Xbox this gen has been eye-opening at the lengths they'll go to keep the brand relevant. If they haven't pulled away from markets like Japan, then it means they still have ideas in store.

This isn't like Windows Phone, where they're up against competitors as huge as they are, that they can't really outspend them to get leeway in the market. Gaming is different. Nintendo and Sony are smaller in comparison and bowing out against them could be seen as a high-profile loss. Xbox will be here, doing what they do.

But they dont Outspend Sony either.

Just because Microsoft swims in money doesn't mean that the Xbox Team has a blank check to do whatever they want.

It appears to me that Xbox has less budget than with the X360, at least that is what i feel about this gen.

It's like they are existing, kinda doing their thing but nothing more.

This has been my least favorite gen of any other Xbox console. By far.

They don't have a blank check to do what they want, sure. But, they are given a LOT of headroom to do what they need to do. I think the division exhausted a lot of their efforts this gen doing everything in the book. Buying Mojang to add Minecraft to software sales, the constant price cuts and game giveaways, third-party deals (they got burned on), pushing for the system to be sold in China. They likely spent a lot. They have a lot of money to do things on the fly, like throwing Kinect out of the box, killing the DRM, dedicating a whole team to b/c and make two new iterations of the console while they're at it.

They lost billions on the very first Xbox and came back spending like it was no tomorrow the very next gen. As long as MS remains interested, they'll hang in there. I think their overall pride will keep them in the market. The only way MS would pull out of the console market is if they started losing profits on a regular basis and investors would look to Xbox as a scapegoat. Until then, I don't think there's a danger in that happening.

flashfire926 said:
So a system that is well on its way to outsell the snes isn't successful? Okkaayyy......

And the false comparison of the week award goes to...

Superman4 said:
flashfire926 said:

They kinda do though. They are not Nintendo, they dont have Mario or Zelda to sell mediocre hardware. Sony is dominating at the best time possible and will probably deal the death blow next gen. Nintendo will continue to release completely different devices with each generation and sell based on Brand loyalty

Yeah, that's the only reason Nintendo is selling Switches. /s

Playstation and Xbox are basically mediocre PC's, at least Nintendo tries something unique in the console space. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
NATO said:

flashfire926 said:

Maybe you try and debate with me, instead of showing attitude. Jeez.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Alkibiádēs said:
Superman4 said:

Playstation and Xbox are basically mediocre PC's, at least Nintendo tries something unique in the console space. 

LOL

This guy...

Alkibiádēs said:
Superman4 said:

It's not THAT unique. Nintendo just went a wiser route and consolidated their console efforts and handheld business as one, and that appeals to a lot of people. You don't have one taking away from the other anymore, and the device is going to prosper from it. 

flashfire926 said:
NATO said:

Maybe you try and debate with me, instead of showing attitude. Jeez.

It isn't a debate, you're comparing lifetime numbers of the most successful console that generation with mid gen numbers for this gen, snes finished 18m ahead of the nearest competitor, and despite being available for sale in stores for 13 years, was only able to muster just under 50 million, yet this generation the Ps4 has done 65m in a third of that time, if that doesn't show you how dramatically different the industry was back then nothing will.

Also, given how poorly xbox one is selling, I wouldn't call a gap of 17.5 million, "well on its way to outsell" anyway, and what sort of measure of success are you throwing around if beating a console with a lifetime cap of 50m is 17.5m off when your nearest competitor accomplished that feat long ago and continues to pull ahead.

You know, the funny thing is this, the switch has been on sale for less than a year, and it's closer to pulling ahead of the xbox one than the xbox one is to pulling ahead of the snes, because it's weekly sales are significantly higher. 

Have fun trying to spin that. 

RJ_Sizzle said:
Alkibiádēs said:

It's not THAT unique. Nintendo just went a wiser route and consolidated their console efforts and handheld business as one, and that appeals to a lot of people. You don't have one taking away from the other anymore, and the device is going to prosper from it. 

How many hybrid consoles do you know?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides