By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamestop Rental Service starts Monday

I'm willing to bet they're counting on their salespeople to convince you to buy something extra when you go in there. If you're not in the store (like me) you're not buying anything. That $60 a couple of times a year is better than $0.00.

The only time I go in there is to buy a gift or a console. When I do, I'm assaulted by people trying to sell me merchandise, subscriptions, a fucking cell phone contract, pre-orders, or whatever.

If you spend $60 and return everything else, they've made their money. Best case scenario for them, the game you end up with is only worth a few bucks, anyway. OR you rent a game like NBA 2K and you have to buy it. It won't work, though.

Around the Network

I agree that this is a little odd, but I guess they are just hoping you buy an extra game here and there when you enter the store. We will see if this ends up being a good business strategy. It is certainly welcome.

IkePoR said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Compared to Blockbuster, yeah Gamestop is swimming in cash. When they filed for bankruptcy BB as an entire company was valued at about 1/3 of just the amount of profit Gamestop made last quarter. BB had a debt over a billion dollars. They're not really comparable at all.

I don't know enough about Gamestop's business model to say this will lose them money or not. It is retail, and the goal in retail is to get people in the door, which this will do. Obviously they're going to be hoping that when Joe John goes in to swap out one game for another he might snag a used copy of something else or buy some toy or something else, that's just smart business. How much the customers will do that remains to be seen. I agree hardcore gamers really don't care to use Gamestop any more, not when Best Buy has GCU, plus online retailers like Amazon exists. Last month I went into a GS and bought a used copy of Stick of Truth on 360 to play on my Xbox One and I also signed up for a year of their Elite Pro or whatever membership, because there seems to be a glitch or sale or extreme flip situation on CAG once a week involving Gamestop. But that was the first time in months and months I'd been in there. But hey, this is at least a start to change that. I'll gladly go in there multiple times a month to swap games out if there's no shitty fine print here. This is one of those times when it's a good thing for consumers that a company might need to change their ways to generate more revenue.

Fair enough on the debt vs. profit for the two companies.  It doesn't make sense to compare them in that case.

On the matter of this losing them money - it absolutely does, with simple pattern recognition.  If loads of people sign up for this, say, 100 per store, that's 100 used games off the shelf.  And since you can choose any used game - even the 50$ ones - that's profit walking out the door for however long it's gone.  That's potentially every used copy of Assassin's Creed Origins and Fifa 18 gone from the store. 

And that's where I think I smell the rat in this deal.

Gamestop is notorious for lying about how many copies of new games they have in order to sell used copies of said games.  I get the impression this program will only be upsold to people purchasing multiple games at a time.  Those already in the program will be told they're "all out" of the Fractured but Whole and GTAV when requested for rental, meanwhile football mom Sally will be able to plonk down 45 quid for used Mario Kart 8 no fuss.

I know I sound conspiracy as hell here, but it's Gamestop.  We all know their history of doing things exactly like this.

Yeah but then that’s at least 100 people guaranteed to come into the store many times throughout a 6 month span. And that’s at least $60 spent by each of them. What they’re going to count on is those people buying something else while there. I’ve rented games from GameFly or on Blockbusters Game Pass program and ended up switching games out but buying the game I had because I enjoyed it so much. Or buying expansion cards/gift cards to buy extra content for the games they rent.

I mean, if I rent a game on this program and enjoy it, and then return it for another AAA game still retailingnhigh, id probably be much more inclined to buy extra content or microtransactions for that game because at that point it almost feel a like I’m getting the game for free. Also these are used games, so if the games good, I’ll want to support the dev somehow. On Xbox I would just use my debit card, but there are loads of people who only buy the digital cards for content and currency.

Seems like a good initiative to get people who normally shun Gamestop into the store to spend more money.

LudicrousSpeed said:
IkePoR said:

Fair enough on the debt vs. profit for the two companies.  It doesn't make sense to compare them in that case.

On the matter of this losing them money - it absolutely does, with simple pattern recognition.  If loads of people sign up for this, say, 100 per store, that's 100 used games off the shelf.  And since you can choose any used game - even the 50$ ones - that's profit walking out the door for however long it's gone.  That's potentially every used copy of Assassin's Creed Origins and Fifa 18 gone from the store. 

And that's where I think I smell the rat in this deal.

Gamestop is notorious for lying about how many copies of new games they have in order to sell used copies of said games.  I get the impression this program will only be upsold to people purchasing multiple games at a time.  Those already in the program will be told they're "all out" of the Fractured but Whole and GTAV when requested for rental, meanwhile football mom Sally will be able to plonk down 45 quid for used Mario Kart 8 no fuss.

I know I sound conspiracy as hell here, but it's Gamestop.  We all know their history of doing things exactly like this.

Yeah but then that’s at least 100 people guaranteed to come into the store many times throughout a 6 month span. And that’s at least $60 spent by each of them. What they’re going to count on is those people buying something else while there. I’ve rented games from GameFly or on Blockbusters Game Pass program and ended up switching games out but buying the game I had because I enjoyed it so much. Or buying expansion cards/gift cards to buy extra content for the games they rent.

I mean, if I rent a game on this program and enjoy it, and then return it for another AAA game still retailingnhigh, id probably be much more inclined to buy extra content or microtransactions for that game because at that point it almost feel a like I’m getting the game for free. Also these are used games, so if the games good, I’ll want to support the dev somehow. On Xbox I would just use my debit card, but there are loads of people who only buy the digital cards for content and currency.

Seems like a good initiative to get people who normally shun Gamestop into the store to spend more money.

Solid points all around. I suppose we'll just have to see how it goes.  For now I'm giving this a wide berth until the dust clears and we see if Gamestop can offer an honest deal.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

This is there attempt to survive the digital era, which I dont think they can with such a program. They should have thought of some online business model to support local sales.

Around the Network

I assume they'll try to force you to buy something whenever you try and rent a game. Some people will definitely give in. It's a really good deal though.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P