By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

8 - A Link to the Past
6 - Bayonetta?

#8 is correct, #6 isn't but I'd say you're on the right path.

Mmm, I don't think it's as easy as just guessing Bayonetta 2, so I'll go in another direction and guess Hyrule Warriors.

Around the Network
uran10 said:
S.Peelman said:
In early screenshots of the character-select select screen in this game, a certain magic reptile is there in the place of a certain strong mammal.

mario kart 64

Nice, that was fast.

You are right, in screenshots, Kamek was there instead of Donkey Kong.

Ok, so I can't swim as a sea creature but salmons can?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:

splatoon 2

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

mZuzek said:

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and hint the next few as well since I won't be around for christmas.

#8 - It opens in a very iconic rain scene.
#7 - Want you gone.
#6 - A game that involves quite a controversial witch.

Didn't wanna go as high as #6 but it is what it is. At least this still creates a split before the top 5, which is only fair because that top 5 is particularly special, really.

7: Portal 2
6: Bayonetta 2 (even though S.Peelman really should have gotten this)

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

7: Portal 2
6: Bayonetta 2 (even though S.Peelman really should have gotten this)

#7 is right, #6 is... wrong, actually! I didn't think this moment would come from a post of yours but it did - and ironically, in a moment where really I just want the games guessed so I can post them and go to sleep cause I travel in the morning tomorrow.

It's Super Smash Bros for Wii U, isn't it?

uran10 said:
Slarvax said:

splatoon 2

Correct.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

14 Hint 1: Turn based strategy game. There are many things you can do during the day like Pillage, Observe, Train, Buy items, Talk, Wait, Travel, Work.
Hint 2: During battle you can actually set the land on fire to really annoy the enemy
Hint 3: A good strategy to actually win a battle in the lategame when everyone has massive armies is to pillage all of their supplies and then immediately engage into a battle with them. When they have 0 supplies, their troops will die every turn in battle. Pillaging however relies on your officer's war ability, but any officer can repeatably get better at it and buy items.
Hint 4: Can play as pretty much anyone in the novel that this game is based on. Each character has a War, Charisma, Politic, and Intelligence stat that determines how well each character does things like battle or work.
Final Hint: Is the 8th game in a video game series that has existed since 1985.

10: Hint 1: Small state versus Empire.

#7 Katamari Damacy

Why did it make the list?
Katamari Damacy only attempts to do a few things, but on each of those few things it completely knocks it out of the park.  The controls are simple and perfect.  I cannot overstate how great these controls are.  It feels like someone made a first-rate arcade game on the PS2.  The music is the best soundtrack I have ever heard in any video game.  And then there is the gameplay. 

The gameplay is genius.  I have no idea how anyone could possibly think up a game like this.  You just roll up objects that stick to your ball and you get bigger in the process.  The bigger you get, the bigger things you can roll up.  It’s crazy and yet so addictive.  Whenever I play this game I just zone out.  It’s like being in an awesome dream that you never want to wake up from.

The deceptive thing about this game is that it is not graphically impressive in the slightest, even by PS2 standards, and it uses the same few areas over and over again.
  It also is incredibly short which is probably the biggest mark I have against it.  If I could have a game of this quality but also have it longer with more variety in the areas then it would be even higher on my list (and being #7 is a huge deal since all of my top 50 games are in the top 1%).  There are sequels to Katamari Damacy, and the first sequel is still pretty good, but it doesn’t quite reach the pure bliss of the original game.  (The other sequels are nowhere near as good as the first two games.)

Original experience:
When I first heard about this game I wanted to try it out.  I went to several local video game stores and they were all sold out, because they only had ordered a couple of copies each.  My wife called around and ended up driving out of the state to get me a copy.  (My wife is awesome!)

Once I started playing this game it blew me away!  I had no idea that my favorite PS2 game would be an unknown budget title released near the end of the console’s life.  I tore threw the game and then played the stages over and over trying to “max” my scores.  My wife also played it a bunch.  Then we showed it to friends and they loved it and wanted their own copy too.

How does it hold up today?
This game never gets old.  Graphics were never the selling point of this game, and that is why Katamari Damacy is timeless.  I really wish this game’s director, Keita Takahashi, would make another Katamari game.  Until that happens I will keep playing the original over and over on the PS2.

The giant tree,
The source of pure water and land
A town formed around this rich land
Despite being surrounded by monsters
Best to leave an unknown traveller to take care of this uninhabited Tree

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |