By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

Mnementh said:
uran10 said:

nah nah, you gotta choose 1

Well, then I go with Zelda.

correct

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network
Farsala said:
14 Hint 1: Turn based strategy game. There are many things you can do during the day like Pillage, Observe, Train, Buy items, Talk, Wait, Travel, Work.
Hint 2: During battle you can actually set the land on fire to really annoy the enemy
Hint 3: A good strategy to actually win a battle in the lategame when everyone has massive armies is to pillage all of their supplies and then immediately engage into a battle with them. When they have 0 supplies, their troops will die every turn in battle. Pillaging however relies on your officer's war ability, but any officer can repeatably get better at it and buy items.
Hint 4: Can play as pretty much anyone in the novel that this game is based on. Each character has a War, Charisma, Politic, and Intelligence stat that determines how well each character does things like battle or work.

13 Hint 1: Grid based combat. Outside of combat you can persuade people to join you or find secret items. Preparation is also very important with setting up each army with the appropriate Leader, Strategist, and Officer. You can send each army whichever way you want, and when defending, your army gets an advantage.
Hint 2: As I said preparation is very important. So a decent strategy is to use your main unit to advance and kill any of their strong units, while a 2ndary decent unit can be used to pick up any stragglers and to occupy as many places as possible. A third unit is placed on the capital in case you lose track of everything going on in the map. Of course before the time limit expires, you will want to use your main force for the final battle.
Hint 3: A key component of each battle is tactics, and one can combo all of them together if they are facing the person that you hit with a previous skill. The higher the combo the more devastating the damage, so if you pull off a perfect combo on their strongest guy then he is done for regardless of how strong he is.

12 Hint 1:This JRPG started a fairly popular series of games with many remakes and even anime and manga. At one point in the game a villain uses sexy women to weaken the main hero.
Hint 2: One of the early villains is renamed by the main hero to "Mid-Boss"

11 Hint 1: This PS1 sequel game is based on a popular media franchise from Japan.

14  I'm going to guess first Romance of the Three Kingdoms, because I'm not sure which one.
13 is Dynasty Tactics?  either 1 or 2?
12 is a Disgaea game? guessing Hour of Darkness
11 is One Piece: Grand Battle?

Mnementh said:
uran10 said:
#7 Wolf

Either Twilight Princess or Okami.

Slarvax said:
I'm just gonna keep it going.
#14 was Huniecam Studio. #13 was DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 2

#11 I dont know any good hints. It's an indie farming game.

#14: Oh, then I was so close with HuniePop.

#11: Stardew Valley

Yeah, you were insanely close. And 11 is correct

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Farsala said:
14 Hint 1: Turn based strategy game. There are many things you can do during the day like Pillage, Observe, Train, Buy items, Talk, Wait, Travel, Work.
Hint 2: During battle you can actually set the land on fire to really annoy the enemy
Hint 3: A good strategy to actually win a battle in the lategame when everyone has massive armies is to pillage all of their supplies and then immediately engage into a battle with them. When they have 0 supplies, their troops will die every turn in battle. Pillaging however relies on your officer's war ability, but any officer can repeatably get better at it and buy items.
Hint 4: Can play as pretty much anyone in the novel that this game is based on. Each character has a War, Charisma, Politic, and Intelligence stat that determines how well each character does things like battle or work.

13 Hint 1: Grid based combat. Outside of combat you can persuade people to join you or find secret items. Preparation is also very important with setting up each army with the appropriate Leader, Strategist, and Officer. You can send each army whichever way you want, and when defending, your army gets an advantage.
Hint 2: As I said preparation is very important. So a decent strategy is to use your main unit to advance and kill any of their strong units, while a 2ndary decent unit can be used to pick up any stragglers and to occupy as many places as possible. A third unit is placed on the capital in case you lose track of everything going on in the map. Of course before the time limit expires, you will want to use your main force for the final battle.
Hint 3: A key component of each battle is tactics, and one can combo all of them together if they are facing the person that you hit with a previous skill. The higher the combo the more devastating the damage, so if you pull off a perfect combo on their strongest guy then he is done for regardless of how strong he is.

12 Hint 1:This JRPG started a fairly popular series of games with many remakes and even anime and manga. At one point in the game a villain uses sexy women to weaken the main hero.
Hint 2: One of the early villains is renamed by the main hero to "Mid-Boss"

11 Hint 1: This PS1 sequel game is based on a popular media franchise from Japan.

14  I'm going to guess first Romance of the Three Kingdoms, because I'm not sure which one.
13 is Dynasty Tactics?  either 1 or 2?
12 is a Disgaea game? guessing Hour of Darkness
11 is One Piece: Grand Battle?

14 is a ROTK game, but only a few ROTK games allow you to play as any officer. None of the early ones if I recall.

13 Yes it is one of the 2.

12 Correct.

11 Guessed earlier by Homoki to be Digimon World 2.

Time for more hints:

#6 A couple of months before this game this game was released in the US, a Hollywood movie was released in the theatres in order to promote the game.

#5 This is the second in a series of classic PC strategy games. The strategy series is a spinoff of an even earlier RPG series.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Time for more hints:

#6 A couple of months before this game this game was released in the US, a Hollywood movie was released in the theatres in order to promote the game.

#5 This is the second in a series of classic PC strategy games. The strategy series is a spinoff of an even earlier RPG series.

Dude, you're 5 days early! I assume #6 is the new Ratchet & Clank? (not sure if the movie came first or after, actually.)

I have one too.
#9 - This game introduced the main character's father, who looks just like the main character only with sunglasses.

Star Fox 64?

#8 Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom

Why did it make the list?
A lot of people who have played tabletop Dungeons and Dragons have at some point said to themselves, “Wouldn’t it be great if this were turned into a kickass action video game?”  Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom is the very kickass video game that we had always been waiting for.  If Dark Souls (my #12 game) is the video game that is the ultimate simulation of tabletop D&D at its best, then Tower of Doom is the action game that is what we’ve always wanted D&D to be.

This game does two very important things extremely well: Combat and Magic.  It has the controls and combat that you expect from a 4-player co-op beat ‘em up.  At the same time, it implements some of the best and most iconic D&D spells in an action format: Magic Missle, Hold Person, Fireball, Cure Serious Wounds, Cloudkill, etc….  When you use powerful magic, you feel badass.  It’s awesome.  At the same time you get to fight some of the most iconic D&D monsters like Kobolds, Gnolls, Ogres, and of course Dragons.  They get the D&D game world down pat while turning it into an arcade action experience.  

Lastly, this game provides multiple paths for you to take during most chapters of the game which encourages replay of the game.  This is especially great for me, since 4-player co-op beat ‘em ups are my favorite genre of arcade game, and I am used to playing them over and over.

Original experience:
When I was in college our University Center had a game room with a few arcade games in it.  Most arcade games at the time were fighting games (i.e. the 90’s), but over by itself was this gem of a game.  The fighting games tended to draw more players, but if I started up a game of D&D: Tower of Doom I usually got 1 or more other people to join me after a few minutes. 

I have no idea how much money I sank into this game.  A lot.  Certainly enough to buy a brand new game at the time.

How does it hold up today?
This game and its sequel were released digitally bundled together a few years ago under the title: Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara.  Both games are very good, but I feel they lose some of the quality if you are not playing them with an arcade stick and buttons.  The controls are a big appeal of the game, and this game would not have made my top 50 if I had not played it with arcade controls.  However, it is still a fun game even with a PS3 or Xbox360 controler. 

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 21 December 2017

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Time for more hints:

Dude, you're 5 days early! I assume #6 is the new Ratchet & Clank? (not sure if the movie came first or after, actually.)

I have one too.
#9 - This game introduced the main character's father, who looks just like the main character only with sunglasses.

Nope this is not it.  And I am getting a bit ahead of schedule, because holidays can make my posting ability unpredictable.  Better early than late IMO.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
S.Peelman said:

Nope, I never heard of that game, but looking at it, it looks to be similar to my game, which is a plus. I'm going to post it now though.

Evil Genius was heavily inspired by the Dungeon Keeper games (which happen to have been made by Bullfrog Productions), but with a James Bond type theme.

I haven't played Theme Hospital, but I will have to give it a try.  For a long time I have been wanting to play a game like Dungeon Keeper again.

Dungeon Keeper was also fun. They don't make 'em like they used to.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
S.Peelman said:
And then we finally enter the top ten. Well, "finally", time actually flies pretty fast I'd say.

Though there are exceptions, games in this franchise usually have names that refer to an important item or feature. This entry's title however, aptly references it's world instead.

Is this Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

Yes.

The highest newcomer this year. And it enters the list at a very high spot indeed, beating out many of my absolute classics and games that have been very meaningful to me. I didn't think there'd be a new game that could do that, so thanks Nintendo, for the experience!

mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

Star Fox 64?

Dude, I'm trying to make tougher hints because I'm still ahead of schedule and stuff... oh well, at least there's still a few non-Nintendo games to go through, hopefully you won't get those (though you got Hyper Light Drifter, so I guess I shouldn't doubt you).

If it's any consolation, I'd also have guessed Star Fox 64 on that.