By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

Super Mario Bros. 3

• Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, GameBoy Advance
  • 2D Platformer
  • Nintendo R&D4

The highpoint of the classic 2D Mario platforming series was it's third game; 'Super Mario Bros. 3'. Almost the best 2D platformer in general, every aspect from the tight controls to the precise level-design is so polished that it could barely be any better. Gameplay was tweaked even further in subsequent ports, but even in it's original release on the Nintendo Entertainment System, control over Mario was so tight, so natural, it might just be the most fluent game you'll ever play.

The smooth gameplay and control is of course just a supplement to the main course, which is the level-design and it's gameplay mechanics like the power-ups and enemy design. All top quality here, and the cleverness of the levels is what makes the game stand out most. The original release is a challenging game, harder than your average new game even though it wasn't anything special back then. The game also has an overworld map with bonuses and extra paths to be found. A feature that would sadly depart from the series after this game's successor, for a very long time.

The game introduced many locales and gameplay elements that would become a mainstay in the rest of the series and I personally remember this Mario game to be the one that mostly resonates with my young gaming life. On NES, me and my cousin used to play either 'Duck Hunt', the black-box 'Soccer', or this.

Around the Network

All your staff will go to a staff-room every once in a while, yet there's one lady who stays at her desk forever, speaking wisdom to your visitors.

This game got banned from Twitch, even though it's "just" a management game.
Your work is to force a bunch of cute girls to buy things, go to photoshoots and stream.
Mnemeth was insanely close with HuniePop.

This is a 3D fighter from the most popular anime in the west.
The main characters are named after vegetables, and the game is on the PS2.

This game released a few days before the deadline for this event.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:

Mario Odyssey.

12. Final Fantasy VII

The beginning of this game is one of my favourites in gaming history. From the Mako reactor to the scene at the Shinra headquarters. The whole part is excellent. The reason the game is not higher is because I feel like it slows down a lot after Midgar, but I did like the storyline-based parts (and especially the boss fights).

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Slarvax said:

Mario Odyssey.

Correct.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

#11 hint - The last in a trilogy of great first-person shooters.

mZuzek said:
VGPolyglot said:
#11 hint - The last in a trilogy of great first-person shooters.

Metroid Prime 3 is a first-person shooter?

Metroid Prime 4 kind of removes its trilogy status.

14 Hint 1: Turn based strategy game. There are many things you can do during the day like Pillage, Observe, Train, Buy items, Talk, Wait, Travel, Work.
Hint 2: During battle you can actually set the land on fire to really annoy the enemy
Hint 3: A good strategy to actually win a battle in the lategame when everyone has massive armies is to pillage all of their supplies and then immediately engage into a battle with them. When they have 0 supplies, their troops will die every turn in battle. Pillaging however relies on your officer's war ability, but any officer can repeatably get better at it and buy items.

13 Hint 1: Grid based combat. Outside of combat you can persuade people to join you or find secret items. Preparation is also very important with setting up each army with the appropriate Leader, Strategist, and Officer. You can send each army whichever way you want, and when defending, your army gets an advantage.
Hint 2: As I said preparation is very important. So a decent strategy is to use your main unit to advance and kill any of their strong units, while a 2ndary decent unit can be used to pick up any stragglers and to occupy as many places as possible. A third unit is placed on the capital in case you lose track of everything going on in the map. Of course before the time limit expires, you will want to use your main force for the final battle.

12 Hint 1:This JRPG started a fairly popular series of games with many remasters and even anime and manga. At one point in the game a villain uses sexy women to weaken the main hero.

mZuzek said:

So, here's how the guesses look right before the top 10:

Rank User(s) Guesses
#1 StarDoor 11
#2 S.Peelman 6
#3 The_Liquid_Laser 5
#4 Flilix, Slarvax and TruckOSaurus 3

Arminillo, Cerebralbore101, Farsala, John19,
Ka-pi96KiigelHeart, Platina, Ultrashroomz, uran10

So, yeah. Still 10 games to go, so technically everyone with 3-6 guesses can possibly take it, but well, that doesn't look very likely at all... anyways:

#10 - This title's eponymous final boss had most of its backstory removed in a re-release due to consistency issues with the game's sequels.

Metroid Prime?