By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

This game first includes an enemy, which became a mainstay in subsequent games in this long and successful franchise, which was based on the creator's bad experience with a dog during his childhood.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

TruckOSaurus said:

That explains it. There's a post-game moon that is very annoying to get from that mini-game. The first time you do it it's not so bad.

Yeah, I assumed there'd be an extra moon there (as every mini-game seems to have), so I figured that's where you were coming from. Obviously as I don't have a Switch that really wasn't something I'd do, my experience with Odyssey was just rushing through the main story in 2 days and that was about it.

Nice that it managed such a high position in such a short time! The post-game content is generally top notch and very fun so it could go up your list once you get more time with it!

Signature goes here!

S.Peelman said:
This game first includes an enemy, which became a mainstay in subsequent games in this long and successful franchise, which was based on the creator's bad experience with a dog during his childhood.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (Chain Chomp?)

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
S.Peelman said:

Super Mario Bros. 3 (Chain Chomp?)

Correct, very good.

S.Peelman said:

Kula World (US: Roll Away)

• Sony PlayStation
  • Puzzle-platformer
  • Game Design Sweden

The best game to ever grace a PlayStation console wasn't something high profile, but it was the puzzle-game 'Kula World', known as 'Roll Away' in the US. It is a very obscure game. And it's a shame it is.

The player controls a beach-ball around an obstacle course. The ball can roll around all sides of floating blocks and beams and jump from one to another to try to reach the coins, fruits and most importantly the keys, which open up the exits of the levels. Getting the ball on the correct side of the beams is the real puzzle here becaus you can go around a side at the ends, and it's very challenging. It's addicting, but there are however so many levels, that I never even finished it. When the player gathers five pieces of fruit, the game proceeds to a bonus level to gather extra points and lives.

It's a timeless game, even if the graphics are dated today and weren't even that good to begin with back then. I've never played another puzzle-game that's as addictive as this one was. Never a platform-game that had you think about your next step, ten steps in advance like this one did. Due to this, it's the only digital "classic" I bought off the PSN store to own a second time, the only one worthy.

I remember that game. It does look like a fun game to play.

Around the Network

#20 Mario Kart 7

Mario Kart is one of the most fun franchises in existence, and this 3DS instalment is one of the best in the series.  The races are crazier and greater than ever before. I spent hours trying to beat the other ghosts at the time races and trying to beat my own record. The online was also pretty good. And while the graphics may not look great compared to Mario Kart 8, they're actually quite an improvement compared to Mario Kart DS.

#19 Mario Party DS

How can anyone not like this game? There are about 50 minigames, and almost all of them are pure fun. The games are creative and vary from boat racing to soap surfing to goomba catching. You can play these minigames in a party, in a competition, or you can just select the game you want to play. Mario Part DS can be best enjoyed with a few friends, because this was without a doubt the best local multiplayer game on the system.

#18 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

There are few games that have such a unique and strong atmosphere as this one. Everything, even the seemingly innocent and happy stuff, has a sort of dark and macabre layer. This makes the game very special and memorable. The mask mechanic is also really really good. Oh, and it's a Zelda game. So of course it's amazing.

#17 Super Mario Odyssey

You can be a tree! You can be a dinosaur!! You can be a Goombas!!! The hat-capturing in Mario Odyssey is even better than the masks in Majora's Mask. There's a wonderful variety of things you can change into. And they're not just a gimmick: each creature/thing/whatever has its own unique set of abilities. This gives you so much more possibilities. Wherever you look, there's something to do.

#16 Pokémon Black 2 & White 2

The only sequels in the Pokémon franchise. I did actually enjoy them more than the originals. The new areas that the games give you are more interesting than the usual towns and routes in the Pokémon games. The story is also one of the best in the whole franchise. I still didn't enjoy as much as most other games, but it's a great game nonetheless.

#13 Plants vs Zombies 2

Why did it make the list?
Plants vs Zombies does tower defense exactly right.  It is easy to learn and difficult to master which is the biggest hallmark of a great game.  While the PvZ 1 is a more tight and polished game, PvZ 2 just has far more content than the first game.  More levels, more plants, more zombies, more everything. 

Also they added plant food.  During the fight you can occasionally give one of your plants some plant food, which makes it do a one time super attack (or super defense, if it is a defensive plant).  This adds a whole new dynamic to the game that the first PvZ doesn’t have.  I also love that you can speed up or slow down gameplay whenever you like.  I still go back and play PvZ 1 from time to time, but I really miss both the plant food and the fast speed features that PvZ 2 has.

I also have a gripe about this game.  “What its your 13th favorite game of all time and you are going to gripe about it?”  Yes, it is unlucky number 13 so here goes.  I really don’t like this is a free-to-play, mobile only game with ads and microtransactions.  I would be willing to shell out $60 cash, day 1, for a good and complete version of this game on a console that is microtransaction free.  So far, I have not given EA any of my money for this game and I don’t plan to until they port it to a console.

Original experience:
I am one of these people that resents getting a smartphone, and I held out as long as I could.  However, when I finally did get one I immediately downloaded PvZ2 and started playing.  I was surprised that it was even better than the first game, which is a very tough feat to accomplish.

How does it hold up today?

I play it almost every day.  There really is so much content to this game, and it is the perfect game to get out when you are out somewhere and have just a few minutes to kill.

I'll try to make my hints slightly harder this time.

#15 It's a bit like a shooter, but it's actually fun.

#14 It's a bit like a fighting game, but it's actually fun.

#13 In the version of the game that I've played, you go to a sort of an alternate dimension. You're here to stop the bad guys.

#12 A ghost haunts a mysterious village.

#11 Easter Island is one of the places you visit.

Flilix said:
Slarvax said:

Maybe 2nd biggest anime?

Yu-Gi-Oh?

Nope.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

#14 Rock Band

Nice pick, surprised to see it as high as that, actually! Personally I liked Rock Band 2 more, though they are 90% the same game so whatever. It's amazing how they hold up, because you'd think with the fad being absolutely over people just wouldn't care anymore, but whenever Rock Band's in the house it's impossible not to be interested.

It is somewhat arbitrary whether I picked Rock Band 1 or 2?  Who knows?  Maybe next year I will have Rock Band 2 on the list instead.  The main thing that makes these games great is just the experience of being in a Rock Band.