By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you remember when vidyagames used to b "the hobby of social rejects"

I distinctly remember being slightly embarrassed in school of telling peers and especially the hot girls of my videogame playing (good sentence!)

Its so neat to see a huge shift in the psychology of people towards an activity, especially one that ive always loved. People generally considered it super dorky and the activity of turbo virgins but now we are gods and we get all the womans. 

Just a cool thought. Thought id share

Around the Network

That core gamer mentality is still niche and stigmatized with the stereotypes from the 1980s. Gaming expanded so much, especially in recent years with mobile titles that nearly everyone plays some from of video games.

I could say I play video games and no one bats an eye. If I start explaining how excited I am about Last of Us Part II or going into the mechanics of Nioh, then it's confused looks and people wanting to change the subject.

Versus_Evil said:
No, because I've never once cared what people think about me playing video games.

-_-         im so impressed

If anything video games are what allowed me to connect with other people, especially during elementary school, the last few moments of high school, and especially during uni.

Besides maybe my dad, I’ve never had anyone ever make fun of me/judge me for doing what I like.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Nymeria said:
That core gamer mentality is still niche and stigmatized with the stereotypes from the 1980s. Gaming expanded so much, especially in recent years with mobile titles that nearly everyone plays some from of video games.

I could say I play video games and no one bats an eye. If I start explaining how excited I am about Last of Us Part II or going into the mechanics of Nioh, then it's confused looks and people wanting to change the subject.

Interesting contrast. I dont experience that surprise at my excitement of a new game and whatnot amymore, sucks that you do

Around the Network

It's a weird thing, I think there is still a stigma around them a little. If I say I go home and play games, people wonder why, tell me to go out. If I go home and watch TV/Netflix, people start asking you if you watched something or other.

In a way gaming might still have the idea that you are on your own having entertainment now with others even though in games and the gaming community we are more social than we've ever been.

Here's a different thing in my hobbies. I will tell people I play games and give them the same arguments I do about no different to watching TV, I just play games. I however don't tell people I read comics. I'd rather remain cool.

Hmm, pie.

ChaosReich said:
Nymeria said:

Interesting contrast. I dont experience that surprise at my excitement of a new game and whatnot amymore, sucks that you do

It varies. My female friends are almost all casual gamers so they find it odd.  My male friends are often even more in depth in their knowledge of game systems, particularly in strategy or role playing titles.

The Fury said:
It's a weird thing, I think there is still a stigma around them a little. If I say I go home and play games, people wonder why, tell me to go out. If I go home and watch TV/Netflix, people start asking you if you watched something or other.

In a way gaming might still have the idea that you are on your own having entertainment now with others even though in games and the gaming community we are more social than we've ever been.

Here's a different thing in my hobbies. I will tell people I play games and give them the same arguments I do about no different to watching TV, I just play games. I however don't tell people I read comics. I'd rather remain cool.

Wow, i never considered that obvious Netflix thing lol. Very cool points!........and yea, i think comic books will always only be read by "neckbeards who smell like tacos and doritos and only pussy action are when they play with their cats"

Only a few hundred years until we can say the same about anime fans.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Only a few hundred years until we can say the same about anime fans.

I chuckled