By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Just how close will the 360 come to PS3 this week in Japan & June 14th?

Serious questions to ask.

PS3 did an estimated 8200 units in sales last week, a decrease of 600-odd units, whereas the 360 had a very minor increase.

With no new games coming out this week to stem the tide of sale decreases in Japan, just where will the margin be?

Im thinking it could get within 2,000-2,500 units, or less.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I can't see the PS3 dropping below 7K. I guess my question would be, what is comming out this week for the 360 that will push sales up?

hmmm... nothing this week for either, but next week forza 2 comes out for 360 and the week after is Trusty bell... these will perhaps move some consoles... people couldn't see the ps3 dropping below 20k... then they couldn't see it dipping below 10k... now you can't see it dropping below 7k? i think they will be within about 3-4 k of each other after this week... next week... the 360 might *gasp* out sell the ps3 on the back of forza (36 from famitsu might carry some weight, along with all the japanese cars) and even maybe the next week on the back of trusty bell (great game btw... played the demo)

Its amazing how the mighty have fallen. Its a given that the Xbox 360 being an American console will NEVER sell well in Japan. Blue Dragon will not save the 360 in Japan. Yes we know that 360 stands for a complete circle symbolizing that they "did it again." I agree. They did. Unfortunately once again they only aimed at one market. Microsoft is only out to get the USD not the Yen. Their failure to expand is not out of the ordinary. As in for Playstation 3. They shouldn't even carry that name anymore since it will be less and less that it will "play." Sony execs says to another, "Gentlemen! We have a Gamecube in our hands!" My guess 360 - 2,800 ps3 - 1,400 I wouldn't be surprised if the Gameboy Micro sells more than the PS360.

just wait and you will see =) don`t see any point to discuss sales, this won`t effect anything. =) it can go to 6k, it may not. in June ps3 will get 2 amazing games in Japan, NGS and Folks Soul. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

And why don't you mind posting some ideas on sales numbers rather than the same old BS of "just you wait, game X and game Y are coming out soon, and will get amazing sales!" JH, this week it's Forza 2. Although its a not-well known series, it IS a major game with hopefully a bit of hype behind it.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I think Forza 2 will sell relatively well to current 360 owners in Japan but won't move any systems. Trusty Bell will do ok but not as well as BD did since it's not as hyped, not as bundled, and it's non-holiday. Not sure on the exact release dates of any of these but if Hot Shots Golf / NGS hit PS3 in June it'll probably bump it back over 10k at least which I don't think the 360 will hit with TB.

Trusty bell is bundled... not quite as nicely as blue dragon's limited edition bundling was (with the figurines and what-not) but they are offering a bundle deal...

mrstickball said:
And why don't you mind posting some ideas on sales numbers rather than the same old BS of "just you wait, game X and game Y are coming out soon, and will get amazing sales!" JH, this week it's Forza 2. Although its a not-well known series, it IS a major game with hopefully a bit of hype behind it.

Muahaha, i supose you are talking about Forza 2 and Trusty Bell ? Or what is going to happen on June 14th ? LOL.

Yeah, x360 has some chances this week to outsell ps3, but most like ps3 won`t get lower 6-8k. Moreover, neither FM2, neither TB are in famitsu most wanted list.

Time will show, but definately, it really doesn`t matter, that was my point. And you stop being fanboish.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

I don't see it going below 7K either. Based on the game sales, it looks like roughly 6k of the PS3 sales are BR sales. Those are staying because no new cheap BR players are coming out in the near future. There is always a few k in upgraders, even without new titles. so with that, I think that 7k is as low as the PS3 can go