By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - McDonald's Szechuan sauce fever hits a boiling point with Rick and Morty fans

I like Rick and Morty. But, I don't like Rick and Morty enough to clamor for an old fast food novelty sauce because one of the characters was obsessed with it. I thought the Szechuan sauce bit was an amusing one-off joke. McDonald's decided to cave in to R&M fans by bringing the sauce back in a limited fashion in selected restaurants across the US. Unexpected by McDonald's, and most sane people, things went south. 

Many McDonald's locations were in bewilderment as they were not prepared for the onslaught of Rick and Morty fans that wanted a taste of that McNugget sauce that would carry the show to season nine. Lines formed around the block at some restaurants, and many people left emptyhanded, leading to chants of "Give us sauce!".

There have already been reports of a stabbing, police being called to establishments to disperse crowds and the sauces that people COULD obtain being sold on eBay for hundreds of dollars. All for the unofficial promotion of a TV show's meme. We've hit first-world-problems territory here. Where people are getting irate over a promotional sauce. I remember the original promotion when Mulan came out. I never in my wildest dreams would imagine it would come full circle like this. 

I didn't even know until a few weeks ago that the R&M fanbase was getting this out of hand. This bowls over anything the bronies have done at this point. It's at the tipping point. I mean, people get passionate about inconsequential things, sure. But in a "stand in line for hours for a condiment that a cartoon character likes" way? No.

Around the Network

You just don't have the 'intellect' to understand the deeper meaning of why these fans are stampeding each other just to get a packet of meme sauce. The $300 price tag on Ebay for the sauce is very reasonable.

I’m not surprised. The show has basically become a memefest.

Come on...stuff like this makes me question my faith in humanity...

what is the szehcnachsdkchasldkch sauce? what does it taste like?

I don't watch Rick and Morty so i don't get this

Around the Network

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The Szechuan sauce is a sauce that was a limited time offer that Mcdonalds made for Mulan in 1998. It was quickly forgotten in a couple of months. The Rick and Morty season 3 premeire continuously referenced the sauce and it became a meme among the fanbase. Mcdonalds decided to released the limited edition sauce in small quantities and then this madness happened.

Well I also want to try out this 'Szechuan sauce' too ...

Even if it takes 9 more seasons ... 

To think there are people out there dealing with things like stress, depression, poverty, famine...

...and then there's shit like this. :|

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Whatever you think it tastes like, just know that McDonald's is going to have the worst version of it.