By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. October bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

GribbleGrunger said:
Something just crossed my mind ... We've heard of new versions of Pro, PSVR and the MOVE coontroller but not the PS4 Fool's Edition. Could this be an indication that the Pro is soon to become the defacto PS4?

Nah.  Sony has made it a point to move according to the market, not forcing the market to conform to their decisions.  Until the tables are turned and sales are 75-80% pro and 20-25% standard rather than vise versa, the standard will remain...well the standard.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Something just crossed my mind ... We've heard of new versions of Pro, PSVR and the MOVE coontroller but not the PS4 Fool's Edition. Could this be an indication that the Pro is soon to become the defacto PS4?

I don't think so, it just means that the slim ps4 is cheaper to produce than the Pro in the first place and isn't in need of a revision to cut costs (which it already did last year over the og ps4 and its other revision). 

Interesting about that $50 destiny pro bundle price cut, it seems to only be an Amazon thing at the moment. Best Buy still has it listed at $449. EDIT: still $449 at Target as well. 

Nuvendil said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Nah.  Sony has made it a point to move according to the market, not forcing the market to conform to their decisions.  Until the tables are turned and sales are 75-80% pro and 20-25% standard rather than vise versa, the standard will remain...well the standard.

Ariakon said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I don't think so, it just means that the slim ps4 is cheaper to produce than the Pro in the first place and isn't in need of a revision to cut costs (which it already did last year over the og ps4 and its other revision). 

Interesting about that $50 destiny pro bundle price cut, it seems to only be an Amazon thing at the moment. Best Buy still has it listed at $449. EDIT: still $449 at Target as well. 

The push back to this idea (and I use that term in a none aggressive way) seems odd to me. We've seen news of updates to everthing PS related other then the standard PS4. That's a fact but in no way proof of what I'm saying. ... I concede that. At the moment, Sony are having to run TWO production lines for the PS4, the Pro and the PS4. I can't see that both can be easily intergrated so to me it appears as if they need TWO completely different production lines to cater to both. By cutting out the PS4 they can then focus ALL their production on the Pro, and with the Scorpio releasing it seems obvious they'll want to counteract it with their own 4K narrative. 

Given that the Pro can counteract that narrative at a much cheaper price, it also makes sense to lower the price of the Pro in line with the 'successful' price of the standard PS4 while similtaniously allowing for a single and less complicated production model. There will be many people who are not at all interested in the 4K narrative, in fact likely ignorant of it, BUT 'more powerful' is something that would resonate with them, even if specifics are alien to them. Therefore, dropping the PS4 and moving over to the Pro will only invigorate the market providing that price is NOT more but equal to or less. 

One production line for Sony (stream-lining) + perceived increased power (for your average consumer) + 4K messaging (to counter Scorpio) + an excepted and successful price range = sustaining a decent sales projection. At least to me. If you disagree then that's fine, but I think it's worth keeping in mind.

The PS5 Exists. 

I can't remember any Mario game receiving this much hype since Mario 64 in all honesty. It's ranking on this chart kind of proves the hype isn't just loud banter.

newwil7l said:
I can't remember any Mario game receiving this much hype since Mario 64 in all honesty. It's ranking on this chart kind of proves the hype isn't just loud banter.

Its because after Mario Galaxy,  Super Mario 3D World, was kinda a step back.

I know Im not the only one that felt that way. People are looking forwards to a full 3D done Mario, in the vain of Galaxy, 64.

Around the Network
palou said:
Slarvax said:

Oh, then I'll take the bet  

I win if Odyssey sells less than 900k in the US, you win if it sells more, correct? 

Yep! Always fun.

What do you want to bet?

Ah... That's the hard part. Was kinda hoping you'd make a suggestion. Get to choose the profile pic, for a month (December), perhaps?

Sounds good to me. Good luck

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

GribbleGrunger said:
Nuvendil said:

Ariakon said:

The push back to this idea (and I use that term in a none aggressive way) seems odd to me. We've seen news of updates to everthing PS related other then the standard PS4. That's a fact but in no way proof of what I'm saying. ... I concede that. At the moment, Sony are having to run TWO production lines for the PS4, the Pro and the PS4. I can't see that both can be easily intergrated so to me it appears as if they need TWO completely different production lines to cater to both. By cutting out the PS4 they can then focus ALL their production on the Pro, and with the Scorpio releasing it seems obvious they'll want to counteract it with their own 4K narrative. 

Given that the Pro can counteract that narrative at a much cheaper price, it also makes sense to lower the price of the Pro in line with the 'successful' price of the standard PS4 while similtaniously allowing for a single and less complicated production model. There will be many people who are not at all interested in the 4K narrative, in fact likely ignorant of it, BUT 'more powerful' is something that would resonate with them, even if specifics are alien to them. Therefore, dropping the PS4 and moving over to the Pro will only invigorate the market providing that price is NOT more but equal to or less. 

One production line for Sony (stream-lining) + perceived increased power (for your average consumer) + 4K messaging (to counter Scorpio) + an excepted and successful price range = sustaining a decent sales projection. At least to me. If you disagree then that's fine, but I think it's worth keeping in mind.

The resolution narrative didn't make the Pro explode on the market, so Sony won't make a move on an assumption it will magically make the X do so.  Also, maybe they aren't updating the standard slim cause it's selling like hotcakes anyway?  

I still can't believe there was a PS4 Pro with a game at $449.99

Bandorr said:
JRPGfan said:

Its because after Mario Galaxy,  Super Mario 3D World, was kinda a step back.

I know Im not the only one that felt that way. People are looking forwards to a full 3D done Mario, in the vain of Galaxy, 64.

Super Mario 3d world was a step to the side, as opposed to backwards.

It was 4 player Co-op with each of them having their own powers. Plus you had a lot of world as and zones. Instead of doing one area like 8 times with different goals each time.

It was basically a "3d" version of a 2d game. As opposed to anything like 64 or galaxy.

Actually much preferred it to any of the others though. Mario I prefer to play with other people as opposed to not being able to, or playing as a hand or a hat.

I agree, 3D World was amazing...very linear but I like linear Mario games as well as open world. 

WebMasterFlex said:
I still can't believe there was a PS4 Pro with a game at $449.99

There still is, in every retailer except Amazon. But yeah, I know what you mean, that's a hell of a price tag.