By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can one game still make a difference?

Green098 said:
Lawlight said:

I don't think so. Nintendo has millions of hardcore fans that will but a system at launch irrespective of the library. The WiiU showed that. At the same time, Mario Kart 8 is on pace to outsell Breath of the Wild.

But, no, one game by itself cannot make a difference in this day and age on any platform.

Well I'd still strongly say that Pokémon was one of the biggest factors that allowed the 3DS to be quite successful in the time of smartphones. 

And Switch compared to Wii U launch month sales showed the exact opposite. Essepically when you look at the fact the Wii U launch library was actually one of biggest for any console.

Here are the first week sales for Switch, Wii U, Xbox One and PS4:

Switch Wii U Xbox One PS4
1 1,400,822 472,099 1,104,585 1,071,184

Can you spot the difference?

Yeah, it tells me that the Switch is the only system out of those 4 listed to be released worldwide at the same time. And those PS4 sales are for NA only for the first day only, right?

And I don't agree with you about Pokemon driving 3DS sales especially since the 3DS peaked in its 1st full fiscal year, well before a Pokemon game was released.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Green098 said:

Well I'd still strongly say that Pokémon was one of the biggest factors that allowed the 3DS to be quite successful in the time of smartphones. 

And Switch compared to Wii U launch month sales showed the exact opposite. Essepically when you look at the fact the Wii U launch library was actually one of biggest for any console.

Here are the first week sales for Switch, Wii U, Xbox One and PS4:

Switch Wii U Xbox One PS4
1 1,400,822 472,099 1,104,585 1,071,184

Can you spot the difference?

Yeah, it tells me that the Switch is the only system out of those 4 listed to be released worldwide at the same time. And those PS4 sales are for NA only for the first day only, right?

And I don't agree with you about Pokemon driving 3DS sales especially since the 3DS peaked in its 1st full fiscal year, well before a Pokemon game was released.

Don't a lot of Pokemon fans try to buy the console before Pokemon is announced? Every single Nintendo handheld has had Pokemon, so they might try to buy the console before the demand overwhelms the hardware stock and they end up with a copy of the game and no console to play it on.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.