By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Recommend me some old IPs PS3 games

Folklore

Around the Network

Folklore!

I tend to use an old original xbox which can emulate up to about N64 level and you get enhanced 5.1 sound and 720p or 1080i video output. I love the xbox wired controller its lag free and great for 8bit and 16bit games. Ideally it should be paired with a CRT tv for best effect but admit I use it with my 4k tv.

The trouble is most of the games I like from the era are not available unless through emulation. I love playing the actual arcade games.

I haven't updated it for years, it's a 2TB drive just full of xbox game and emulators. The only issue is I just haven't got the free hard drive space to put all the ps1 games I want on there because of their file size even when using compression.

So many great choices ... Gotta give props to Sony for getting so many remakes on the PS3. It was my first generation for a Sony console and I'm glad for it. Tagging this thread so I can check it out later for my own benefit too =p

ThisGuyFooks said:
Folklore!

Hi, I do not know the series, I'll add to the backlog! Thanks for sharing

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
I tend to use an old original xbox which can emulate up to about N64 level and you get enhanced 5.1 sound and 720p or 1080i video output. I love the xbox wired controller its lag free and great for 8bit and 16bit games. Ideally it should be paired with a CRT tv for best effect but admit I use it with my 4k tv.

The trouble is most of the games I like from the era are not available unless through emulation. I love playing the actual arcade games.

I haven't updated it for years, it's a 2TB drive just full of xbox game and emulators. The only issue is I just haven't got the free hard drive space to put all the ps1 games I want on there because of their file size even when using compression.

I did the "same". I've built an arcade cabinet 4 players, crt, coin doors and all, using emulators for the key retro consoles. I've also put some emulators in a wii. But I've figured out that the emulator is not giving the same value (speed, feel, carts etc)  as the actual consoles. So I'm back to buy back consoles and games, hooking everything up in the crt arcade monitor.

Now something is infuriating, some series stopped with the 16bits, after the CDs came and nobody picked them up afterwards, or they have tried to exist in 3D form, and failed. And some just disappeared. Where are the robocops, and terminators, golden axe, altered beast, kid chameleon, streets of rage...

some still live, like sonic that is in all platforms, but what about the rest?

Hiku said:

Chrono Trigger
Suikoden II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 4

SotN is one of the best 2D games ever. Good call. I have it on Saturn, in Japanese....

Crash trilogy
crash team racing
spyro trilogy
metal gear solid
hogs of war

Hiku said:
j.thomaz said:

SotN is one of the best 2D games ever. Good call. I have it on Saturn, in Japanese....

You can play as Maria in that version, right?
I think the best English version may the one that came out on PSP. I've been meaning to check it out recently. They re-wrote certain parts of the dialogue (Like "What is a man?") and recasting the voice acting. But if you've already experienced the cheesy original English dialogue before, which is good in its own way, this is probabably a good alternative.

Yes you can play as Maria, Belmond and Arucarduru (with a jap accent!). The game is great but you need help on the jap translation. 

Bionic Commando Rearmed - worth looking at (and listening to, soundtrack is fantastic.
Guacamelee - it's not an old IP, but you will surely love it.
Arc the Lad 1 & 2 (you transfer save file from 1 to 2) - fantastic 4th gen-style games that came out on PS1.
Suikoden 1 & 2 - see Arc the Lad
Breath of Fire 3 & 4
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Origins - The Wonderswan version of 1 & 2 ported to PS1.
Metal Slug series - if you're missing any you can find em here.
Castlevania Chronicles - Remaster of the first game on MSX.
Runner 2 - If you like old platformers, I think you'll like this.
Castlevania SotN & Strider 2014 are musts IMO, but sounds like you've played the former already