By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video Game developer who died of cancer immortalised as an in-game DLC

shikamaru317 said:
The_Yoda said:

What am I missing? It's 4 for the DLC and they are donating 3.5 of that ... they are only keeping 12.5% ... or an eighth

Yeah, 12.5% seems pretty reasonable to me.

They are still using his digital corpse for marketing.

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
ktay95 said:
Typical scumbag WB, tryna profit off a cancer victim. Sure the donations are nice but why the f are WB taking such a large cut.

What am I missing? It's 4 for the DLC and they are donating 3.5 of that ... they are only keeping 12.5% ... or an eighth

The dlc is stated in the article above to cost 4 pound meanwhile they'll donate $3.50. Quite a bit more than an eighth.

The fact still stands. This is an incredibly touching tribute to a former employee who has lost their life and will help the family recover costs from the funeral and help then financially for the future after loosing their husband and father. Sure, wb are getting a lot of media attention for this and quite frankly, I believe they deserve it.

ironmanDX said:
The_Yoda said:

The dlc is stated in the article above to cost 4 pound meanwhile they'll donate $3.50. Quite a bit more than an eighth.

The fact still stands. This is an incredibly touching tribute to a former employee who has lost their life and will help the family recover costs from the funeral and help then financially for the future after loosing their husband and father. Sure, wb are getting a lot of media attention for this and quite frankly, I believe they deserve it.

I honestly thought this was a typo. Do we have confirmation how much the DLC will be in USD?  From what I hear only DLC purchased in 44 of the US states will get the 3.50 donated so quoting the pricce of the DLC in pounds seemed silly (outside of the fact it was an article from eurogamer):

Sound great right? Well it is better than nothing but a youtuber was quick to read out the fine print. Basically 6 states are excluded from the deal and it only applies to the USA. So if you're thinking of buying this out of support for this mans family and you're from Canada(or somwhere else), you could have gotten misled easily. As no articles are mentioning this. A bit scummy in my eyes.

The states excluded are as follows.

AL, HI, IL, MA, MS and SC

https://youtu.be/Q9GVMO5Ab7Y

Edit:  Looks like the price it $5 so 70% of it will go to the family and their loved ones face will be seen saving your characters bacon for as long as people are playing the game.

I remember borderlands 2 had a young man Michael Mamaril who loved borderlands but sadly passed away from cancer, being immortalised by putting him in the game as an npc who gave you really good gifts at certain times.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Ka-pi96 said:
While a nice idea I can't help but feel they've ruined it by making it a paid DLC, and while the idea of donating the money to the family is also a nice idea, the almost $2 disparity between the price charged and the amount donated also ruins that.

Warner Bros. - Finding ways to get it wrong even when we get it right!

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

I don't see how this is noble personally. Making it DLC just means that his memory is realized by less people, and he won't be immortalized in a game, rather through a pack that a small percent of the userbase would receive. Even when this eventually goes into the GOTY edition, will the PS5 or PS6 versions have all that extra content? Recent discussions of game preservation has just ruined this for me, along with the fact that they're looking to make a profit on it.