By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Horizon Zero Dawn Update introduces "Story Difficulty'

pokoko said:
DonFerrari said:

And when they add the mode through a story expansion DLC?

Uncharted and TLOU had this; although it were even harder modes.

I don't understand your question.  I said props to any developer who does it for free.

I understood.

And asked what you think about the ones that make new modes but they are part of paid DLC. They aren't charging the mode, but are locking behind a paid DLC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
vivster said:
Every game should have this. Great idea!

Now someone do the same for Dark Souls.

but, the souls games have very little directly told story

if somebody wants to get to know the many different story line in the souls games that are hidden in item descriptions/architecture/conversations/etc they are very likely to get a better/more complete overview by watching lore videos on youtube

shikamaru317 said:
I wish all games had multiple difficulty tiers. I'd be much more likely to try stuff like Souls and Bloodborne if they had a "story mode".

Just the word of mouth about their difficulty kept me from playing those games. It's a shame because I hear they're really good. Maybe even because of the challenge. I just can't invest in the frustration nowadays.

DonFerrari said:
pokoko said:

I don't understand your question.  I said props to any developer who does it for free.

I understood.

And asked what you think about the ones that make new modes but they are part of paid DLC. They aren't charging the mode, but are locking behind a paid DLC.

No props to them.  If it's a simple change in the damage multipliers for PCs and NPCs then it should be free.

I can kind of understand if a new mode makes more complicated game-play changes, which would require time and money to develop.  However, even then you sometimes see developers release those for free, as with Fallout 4's Hardcore mode, which changed base mechanics and added new ones.

One thing I've learned from the mod scene with Fallout and Elder Scrolls is that people are very different and more options are always welcome.

pokoko said:
DonFerrari said:

I understood.

No props to them.  If it's a simple change in the damage multipliers for PCs and NPCs then it should be free.

I can kind of understand if a new mode makes more complicated game-play changes, which would require time and money to develop.  However, even then you sometimes see developers release those for free, as with Fallout 4's Hardcore mode, which changed base mechanics and added new ones.

One thing I've learned from the mod scene with Fallout and Elder Scrolls is that people are very different and more options are always welcome.

Yes more options is sure wellcomed.

On the Uncharted and TLOU I'm not even sure if the modes were made available for free... because I had finished the game long before the DLCs came out so I didn't check.

Checked... I was wrong... brutal was a mode made for the collection, isn't part of the original through DLC for Uncharted.

Grounded was a DLC of 5 USD, but it also had rework on AI, itens position and quantity, etc. So it was basically a revamp of the game to make it even more desperate. No hearing, no HUD as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
spemanig said:
vivster said:

It's not that it's too hard, it's about time saving.

If you don't have time to play a Souls game (or any game), play something else or watch a let's play. It isn't incumbent for any dev to make sure you can play their games.

Clearly, I'm very much against adding difficulty modes to games that shouldn't have them - especially Souls games.

You're against them because you hate other people enjoying games?

I know this is a console forum and choice is your greatest enemy but hating other players for enjoying games is just low.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

That's great, it's always good to have options especially for difficulty.

vivster said:
spemanig said:

If you don't have time to play a Souls game (or any game), play something else or watch a let's play. It isn't incumbent for any dev to make sure you can play their games.

Clearly, I'm very much against adding difficulty modes to games that shouldn't have them - especially Souls games.

I know this is a console forum and choice is your greatest enemy but hating other players for enjoying games is just low.

Not what I said, bud. You're assumtion trolling.

spemanig said:
vivster said:

But that's the logical conclusion. Having another difficult mode does not affect you personally in the slightest. So the only conclusion is that you just don't want other people to have fun. Or you could explain yourself better instead of just reflecting criticism.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
spemanig said:

But that's the logical conclusion. Having another difficult mode does not affect you personally in the slightest. So the only conclusion is that you just don't want other people to have fun. Or you could explain yourself better instead of just reflecting criticism.

It's not the logical or only conclusion. I know you're smart enough to imagine more than such a simple reason.

I'd rather dedicate my time to writing an actual piece of literature on the topic than sit here explaining it to someone who is too preocupied with petty demonizations because I said something they didn't want to hear to actually fairly consider a compelling counter-argument.

P.S. "You hate when other people enjoy games" and "You hate people for enjoying games" isn't criticism. It's trolling. The correct critically challenging response to my initial post, if you were actually open minded and had any interest at all in having a constructive discussion on the subject would've been something along the lines of "Why are you against adding difficulty modes to Dark Souls? How do you classify what games should or shouldn't have difficulty options?"