By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - During ‘Made in America Week,’ President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club applies to hire 70 foreign workers

Remember the Inaugural Speech by Trump?

"We will follow 2 simple rules: Buy American, hire American."

Apparently he did not include himself in this "we".

President Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club in Florida has asked permission to hire 70 foreign workers this fall, attesting — in the middle of the White House's “Made in America Week” — that it cannot find qualified Americans to serve as cooks, waiters and housekeepers.

Those requests were made to the Department of Labor in recent days and posted online Thursday. The for-profit club, where Trump spent numerous weekends this spring, asked permission to hire 15 housekeepers,20 cooks and 35 waiters.

Now, the Labor Department — which reports to Trump — must make decisions that will affect two for-profit business that the president still owns.

The next step, a Department of Labor spokesman said, is that the two clubs must take steps to try to recruit American workers for these jobs. That often involves placing help-wanted ads in local newspapers and contacting former workers. If those efforts are unsuccessful, then Trump's clubs can ask for the Department of Labor to certify that it has tried and failed to hire Americans. After that, the Trump clubs can ask theDepartment of Homeland Security to issue visas for workers it has found in other countries.

And this week, Trump has celebrated American companies and American labor, including an event at the White House where the president climbed into the cab of an American-made firetruck. In a proclamationMonday, Trump said he called “upon Americans to pay special tribute to the builders, to the ranchers, to the crafters, and to all those who work every day to make America great.”

Earlier this year, the Trump Winery near Charlottesville, Va., applied for visas to hire 23 foreign workers under a different visa program meant for farm workers.

The Trump Organization did not respond to questions sent by email on Thursday afternoon, asking why American workers could not be found to fill these jobs — and if the company had made any extra efforts this year, in light of Trump's calls to hire American workers.

The Secret Service did not respond to a query asking whether it would have a role in vetting any foreign laborers hired to work in a club that serves, at times, as the president's home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/20/during-made-in-america-week-president-trumps-mar-a-lago-club-applies-to-hire-70-foreign-workers/?utm_term=.bf075b8c45b1

Yes, you are absolutely right, Trump supporters. This is an absolute non-story. This would most likely be a non-story for most presidents. Lots of American companies hire foreign workers. But most of them also don't make stupid unkeepable campaign promises that will very quickly come back to them. So let us bask in yet another hypocritical Trump Episode.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Sadly Trump is immune to his horrible hypocrisy being exposed. I mean during the campaign he was talking about how terrible it was that China was dumping their steel in the US while he personally bought Chinese steel to build many of his buildings.

http://www.newsweek.com/how-donald-trump-ditched-us-steel-workers-china-505717

Signature goes here!

Buy American and support American is a farce.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ivanka-trump-china-clothing-import-donald-father-buy-american-a7626471.html

Ivanka Trump was importing 50 tonnes of Chinese clothing as her father was saying 'buy American'

The president is above the law, above his own policies, above the truth, all hail the glorious leader.

Do as I say, not as I do: St. Matthew (verses 1-3) “Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples saying “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.”

He's backed by the bible, it's all fine.

SvennoJ said:
The president is above the law, above his own policies, above the truth, all hail the glorious leader.

Do as I say, not as I do: St. Matthew (verses 1-3) “Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples saying “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.”

He's backed by the bible, it's all fine.

God Bless him...

Around the Network

I'm no fan of Trump but realistically choosing to buy american is surely about where there is or can be an american manufactured option. You'll never going to get american factories competing on price for clothes and for basic jobs like cleaning etc maybe wages are so low that those jobs will only be taken by imported labour. If you say 'buy american' it can't just be a blanket statement for everything surely.

Pushing americans to think more about where their goods are manufactured surely is a good thing. I'm in the UK myself but I'm not keen on China a communist and corrupt country taking the title as world's most powerful economy. I think for the world it is important the US stays strong and improving their trade deficit is part of that. The world is buying too much from China, its damaging many economies and leading to huge levels of national debt around the world.

bonzobanana said:
I'm no fan of Trump but realistically choosing to buy american is surely about where there is or can be an american manufactured option. You'll never going to get american factories competing on price for clothes and for basic jobs like cleaning etc maybe wages are so low that those jobs will only be taken by imported labour. If you say 'buy american' it can't just be a blanket statement for everything surely.

Pushing americans to think more about where their goods are manufactured surely is a good thing. I'm in the UK myself but I'm not keen on China a communist and corrupt country taking the title as world's most powerful economy. I think for the world it is important the US stays strong and improving their trade deficit is part of that. The world is buying too much from China, its damaging many economies and leading to huge levels of national debt around the world.

To be honest, that's not China's fault, its the fault of the companies chosing to relocate there.

Also during the event, a lot of the products shown as "Made In America" had "Made in China" tags right on the products....wow.

bonzobanana said:

The world is buying too much from China, its damaging many economies and leading to huge levels of national debt around the world

Sadly US cant compete with China and many other countries so they start to make tricks like " fair trade" etc.

vivster said:

"We will follow 2 simple rules: Buy American, hire American."

Apparently he did not include himself in this "we"

that it cannot find qualified Americans to serve as cooks, waiters and housekeepers.

If there is no American workers, they have to hire somebody else. I will blame Muricans this time.