By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The NES didn't save the industry and the videogame crash only happened in America

This topic is BAD, the NES was HUGE. NES made gaming great again!

Around the Network

I see posts saying that video games were still big outside of America. Any info saying how big? And how did these consoles sell compared to the NES after it released? And, if games were successful without Nintendo, why didn't they other lucrative companies continue making games?

Amiga, Commodore, Magnavox, Apple (whom I assume was never seen again), etc. What happened to them?

Sega obviously didn't revitalize the NA markets with the Sega Master System. It sold like shit in USA.

"The North American video game console industry recovered a few years later, mostly due to the widespread success of the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)"

From the exact same link in the OP

And look at those HUGE numbers in the OPs pic. 150,000 and 60,000? Ihad no idea the industry in Europe was so strong! That Genesis/Master System combo is trouncing the (probably declining) NES.

d21lewis said:

I see posts saying that video games were still big outside of America. Any info saying how big? And how did these consoles sell compared to the NES after it released? And, if games were successful without Nintendo, why didn't they other lucrative companies continue making games?

Amiga, Commodore, Magnavox, Apple (whom I assume was never seen again), etc. What happened to them?

Difficult to say because their aren't that many old people here anyway every europe country had it's own thing the UK had the spectrum that sold a few million consoles in the UK alone and probably + 10 million if you would count the copies of the machine of it I remember it passing 20.000 different software titles (including programs) so yeah it was popular and Zx spectrum still exist it was just a very open machine that let you sell your own software withot the trouble for asking permission etc. In the 90's many worked on other console but considering spectrum is from the early 80's I doubt many are still working they probably are retired or will soon =p.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
d21lewis said:

Difficult to say because their aren't that many old people here anyway every europe country had it's own thing the UK had the spectrum that sold a few million consoles in the UK alone and probably + 10 million if you would count the copies of the machine of it I remember it passing 20.000 different software titles (including programs) so yeah it was popular and Zx spectrum still exist it was just a very open machine that let you sell your own software withot the trouble for asking permission etc. In the 90's many worked on other console but considering spectrum is from the early 80's I doubt many are still working they probably are retired or will soon =p.

I didn't actually want an answer. 😾

d21lewis said:
konnichiwa said:

I didn't actually want an answer. 😾

Well the spectrum deserves some love, it was the first machine that I remembered getting his own magazine in my native language the next one was playstation.

SegataSanshiro said:

Europe was a small market and NES helped revitalized the market in both US and Japan. Consoles were not a big thing until NES in Japan. The two biggest markets that matter most it did.

I'm a huge SEGA fan and that last statement is so blatantly false. SEGA was completely reactionary to NES with both SMS AND Genesis.Sonic was reactionary to Mario. Again NES standardized licensing. Famicom had DLC and online with a modem. NES/Famicom gave us the most iconic franchises in history. Final Fantasy,Mega Man,Zelda,Mario,Dragon Quest,Castlevania,Metroid and more (yes it was ported to everything but NES first). I'm sorry but Alex Kid..again a reaction to Mario who would not even exist without Mario..but let's say he was made anyway with no NES. Alex Kidd was not going to be the game Mario was. The only Zelda like games on SMS were cloning Zelda.

No NES no SMS no Genesis no NEC TG16 no PS1. Also Genesis was not introduced til 1989. Famicom in 1983. That's not a 3 year gap. SMS in 1985 and again was made to counter the Famicom.

This.It surprises me when people try to deny either the NES importance to the industry or try to undermine the crash as something minor.Sometimes it baffles me the ignorance people have, either due to ignorance or hate towards Nintendo.

Would the industry survive without Nintendo?Of course it would.Games would have been made either way, because humanity loves games.But the industry would be a completely different beast of what it is today.The NES created so many standards that would probably be a much worse industry today.Imagine if a company like Activision pr EA were to put out a console which would have become a standard?*shivers*

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Saying that Nintendo didn't save the console industry is almost the same level of ignorance as saying that the earth is 6,000 years old. Sorry OP but this isn't an opinion, and you don't get to have yours.

First Kerotan and now you?

Pocky Lover Boy!