By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA “exploring other products” for Switch, has to consider “player differences”

BraLoD said:
routsounmanman said:

In your magical dream world, you can obviously house XBone or PS4 hardware within a tablet? I swear people deliberately forget that Switch is a handheld; or at least a hybrid.

My magical dream world? And where the fuck I said something like that? Don't make assumptions, specially being that rude.

He wants Nintendo to not get downgraded ports compared to consoles, then ask for Nintendo to do similar hardware to those, that's about it.

https://www.easports.com/fifa/buy-fifa-18-legacy/usa

X360 and PS3 versions are at the top of the page... I would guess because of the larger install base.  So you really think the hardware is holding the switch back ... or the Wii U for that matter?

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
DonFerrari said:

Curiously I always hear how much better Nintendo is financially than Sony... and funnier than that PS4 were released making profit on 1SW and PSN+ sold together... and less than 6 months after the HW was breaking even alone.

They are more fincancially stable than Sony, precicely because they're being cautious. And do you know what happened during the (early) PS3 days to Sony? Huge amounts of losses for an extended amount of time. If that were to happen to Nintendo, lights out.

Companies like Microsoft and Sony, work differently compared to Nintendo.

Nintendo has for the past couple of console generations decided they want to make revenue per each console sold at launch or with minimal "outside costs"(a single game, or accessory difference). Which is why they sell lesser specced consoles but usually cheaper than competitors because they still can because of the specs. Almost the same way as companies like Samsung and Apple work with their smartphones (they like revenue for each device sold) although they work towards the high spec-high price route. While companies like Microsoft and Sony don't mind taking a loss on the console at launch if it means more powerful specced systems and make revenue from the services (XBL and PS+), along with the licenses for each game sold on the system. Eventually making money on each console once the component prices go down.

Nintendo probably could have released the Switch with Nvidia's Tegra X2 chip (more powerful and efficient than the X1) but probably felt they wouldn't make enough per system without increasing the cost of the Switch by $50 or so, which could have been beyond the pricepoint they found reasonable.

Nintendo has $47 billion in marketcap, Sony has $48 billion in marketcap including their tv, electronics, and movie divisions apart from the gaming division. Both companies can handle a system or two of losses.

The_Yoda said:
BraLoD said:

My magical dream world? And where the fuck I said something like that? Don't make assumptions, specially being that rude.

He wants Nintendo to not get downgraded ports compared to consoles, then ask for Nintendo to do similar hardware to those, that's about it.

X360 and PS3 versions are at the top of the page... I would guess because of the larger install base.  So you really think the hardware is holding the switch back ... or the Wii U for that matter?

The userbase that doesn't buy is holding everything back

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mario x plants vz zombies

Pocky Lover Boy! 

DonFerrari said:
The_Yoda said:

I don't disagree with that, I was disagreeing with the statement "He wants Nintendo to not get downgraded ports compared to consoles, then ask for Nintendo to do similar hardware to those, that's about it."

Hardware is not the issue with Fiffa 2018 or anything else that has non-gimped ports on the the PS3 and 360.  Switch ports should have at least parity with the PS3 or 360 versions of these games.  Lets be real EA and most third parties will not ignore the install base of last gen systems with these types of games.  To expect the Nintendo user-base to buy versions of games inferior / lacking features found on last gen systems is kind of silly and when they make such a lazy port blaming the user-base is a bullshit excuse. It takes time to build a user-base on a system, throwing a one off out there especially a gimped one then saying "see it didn't sell" is a token effort by a company that doesn't want that user-bases' business ultimately.

For the most part the WiiU saw late ports of games, ports missing features and DLC (looking at you COD franchise).  Gamers are for the most part not stupid, they know how to use computers to find the most bang for their buck.  If they are graphics whores they should be on PC anyway not on consoles.

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
DonFerrari said:

I don't disagree with that, I was disagreeing with the statement "He wants Nintendo to not get downgraded ports compared to consoles, then ask for Nintendo to do similar hardware to those, that's about it."

Hardware is not the issue with Fiffa 2018 or anything else that has non-gimped ports on the the PS3 and 360.  Switch ports should have at least parity with the PS3 or 360 versions of these games.  Lets be real EA and most third parties will not ignore the install base of last gen systems with these types of games.  To expect the Nintendo user-base to buy versions of games inferior / lacking features found on last gen systems is kind of silly and when they make such a lazy port blaming the user-base is a bullshit excuse. It takes time to build a user-base on a system, throwing a one off out there especially a gimped one then saying "see it didn't sell" is a token effort by a company that doesn't want that user-bases' business ultimately.

For the most part the WiiU saw late ports of games, ports missing features and DLC (looking at you COD franchise).  Gamers are for the most part not stupid, they know how to use computers to find the most bang for their buck.  If they are graphics whores they should be on PC anyway not on consoles.

The problem is that although userbases doesn't surge from thin air, Nintendo didn't put much effort on it since even before Wii. And on Wii even with similar ports being released on it the sells were very bad.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
The_Yoda said:

Can't open the link now, what's it about? PS360 versions being more popular?

Nope- Just EA's pre-order page, I just found it interesting that last gen's consoles were at the top of the page and the "flagship" (i.e. PS4ONE / PC) are at the bottom of the page when you scroll down. It's also kind of interesting that out of the 6 platforms this game is releasing on that one of them is conspicuouly absent.  Care to guess which one isn't represented on EA's pre-order page?

Switch version being a downgrade over PS4ONE is due to the hardware, indeed.

I never said it wouldn't be, but it should be on par or better than the PS360 versions. i.e. it should not be a gimped port from those from a technical / features prespective

Was it on par with them what would be making EA not release a similar version of the game to those?

It's EA so who knows, I think they are still butt-hurt over the WiiU / Origin thing

Easier and cheaper, yup, EA would be just dropping it there as it is if possible.

Not sure what you mean on this ...

DonFerrari said:
The_Yoda said:

The problem is that although userbases doesn't surge from thin air, Nintendo didn't put much effort on it since even before Wii. And on Wii even with similar ports being released on it the sells were very bad.

You lost me, they didn't put much effort into what ? Moneyhatting developers? Cutting edge hardware?

Just the usual PR stuff

Will wait and see what they actually have to offer first

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

BraLoD said:
Flilix said:
I hope Rocket League outsells FIFA 18 on Switch, maybe then they'll realise Switch players don't want a downgraded port.

Then Nintendo should stop making considerably weaker hardware than those where those games are build for.

Exactly. Switch can't run their games and it was obvious from the start. Nintendo fans should be mad at Nintendo not third party. Nintendo fans claim power doesn't matter yet beg for games that are too powerful for Switch. Go figure.