By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's talk about the new God of War (part 2)

God of War needed a reboot.After four games with Greek gods, it was time for something different.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
vivster said:

But what if he drops the axe? It's not like it's chained to his arm. Not sure if I'm ready to take that risk.

The axe comes back when he extends his hand.

Not sure if I can trust that over a nice and sturdy chain. And then there is the issue of just being one axe. What's he gonna do with his other hand all the time?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

BraLoD said:
spemanig said:

Its hack'n'slash legacy. Not "serious" enough for GOW, now.

It's simply changing, it's not "incredibly embarassed" about anything.
Ascension was quite criticized for being "more of the same", Sony took its time to make another GoW and now it's a completely fresh game.
People might like the change or not, but it's definitely not what you called it to be.

It's literally changing genre AND story telling. Those aren't "simple changes," they're a fundemental restructure of what GOW is.

When Mario went from 2D to 3D, it was still a platformer. That's a simple change. When Zelda went from 2D to 3D, it was still an action adventure game. That's a simple change. This is the equivelent of turning TLOU 3 into a musou with a campy storyline. It's a massive shift in direction for a mainline entry, all because it wants to be appear more grounded. In a game about gods.

That is case in point an embarassment of legacy. GoW could have easily modernized without being shamed of what it is. It could have gone open while keeping the hack n slash gameplay. It could have fleshed out Cratos without cloning the premise for TLOU. I don't mind change, but a francise is a franchise for a reason. GoW wants to be a big boy game for serious, big boy gamers now, and hack'n'slash gameplay apparently isn't good enough for that anymore.

BraLoD said:
vivster said:

But what if he drops the axe? It's not like it's chained to his arm. Not sure if I'm ready to take that risk.

The axe comes back when he extends his hand.

Looked a lot like Thor ...

BraLoD said:
Nijmegen1982 said:

Looked a lot like Thor ...

I'm thinking the same.
He'll do that to Thor's Hammer, and it'll be fucking epic, mark my words, lol.

Add the Captain America shield. ;)

I bet his son will turn green when he gets mad at the end of the game when his "father" dies ... [/spoiler]

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
vivster said:

Not sure if I can trust that over a nice and sturdy chain. And then there is the issue of just being one axe. What's he gonna do with his other hand all the time?

Kratos also has a shield xP

God, he has become weak over the years. So he's needing a shield now. Probably because his Rheumatiism doesn't let him dodge roll anymore.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.