By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Bloomberg] Best Buy surges thanks to Switch, Target also lifted

Best Buy Co. got a boost from Super Mario in the first quarter, as demand for Nintendo Co.’s new Switch game console helped the retailer post a surprise sales gain.

Comparable-store sales -- a closely watched benchmark -- rose 1.6 percent, the company said on Thursday. Analysts had predicted a decline. Best Buy’s earnings also topped analysts’ projections, sending the shares to a record high with their biggest rally in nine months.

The Switch, which debuted March 3, has emerged as a bright spot in a lackluster retail industry. Last week, Target Corp. said its electronics sales “leapt forward” thanks to the Switch, which it promoted in stores and online. In April, the electronics category overall posted its first monthly gain in almost two years, according to government data cited by RBC Capital Markets.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-25/best-buy-surges-after-nintendo-switch-console-helps-boost-sales

Around the Network

They may live to die another day.
Lucky them.

I really hope this is sustained through the next few months to the holiday season. That, paired with an impressive E3 presentation (perhaps tease a game or two that's early in development), would really help establish this console and avoid a Dreamcast-esque fall off.

So far the Switch has out-performed even my optimistic hopes for it... It's currently my favorite device of the three, so I reeeeally want to see this one last.

caffeinade said:
Lucky them.

That's the best case scenario available to all of us.

Johnw1104 said:
caffeinade said:
Lucky them.

That's the best case scenario available to all of us.

Aye.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
I really hope this is sustained through the next few months to the holiday season. That, paired with an impressive E3 presentation (perhaps tease a game or two that's early in development), would really help establish this console and avoid a Dreamcast-esque fall off.

So far the Switch has out-performed even my optimistic hopes for it... It's currently my favorite device of the three, so I reeeeally want to see this one last.

Are they even going to E3 in any big way.

Boost6 said:

Yes. A physical presentation is not needed in order to have a big presence.

NintendoPie said:
Boost6 said:

Yes. A physical presentation is not needed in order to have a big presence.

So new game announcments or just booths for games already out? 

Boost6 said:

So new game announcments or just booths for games already out? 

Booths for previously released games would be a fail, does any company do that? Nintendo have said they'll focus on new games coming out this year. That may mean unannounced 2017 games, already announced 2017 games, and/or maybe some surprise 2018 games.

OT though: Retailers must thank their new overlords.

The guys at Bestbuy be like: Praise to Nintendo...

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.