By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA 4 on PS3 and 360. Differences revealed.

Subtle PS3 & 360 GTA IV Differences Revealed source:sarcasticgamer.com

Its widely known that both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are very powerful yet very different machines. While third party developers do their best to ensure a single vision of their game is created on all the platforms they develop it for, there are ultimately always differences between various platforms. GTA IV is no exception to this. No, were not talking about the exclusive Xbox 360 downloadable content or the Achievements and Gamerscore here, there are more fundamental differences that will be manifested throughout the gameplay.

Continue reading to find out what we learned while visiting the Rockstar offices for our first GTA IV hands-on report.

First off, GTA IV for the PS3 will be yet another game that mandates a large up-front installation. Weve been told that between 8GB and 10GB of data (the most of any game to date) will be read off the Blu-ray disc before you step one foot in Liberty City. We were also told that while the installation procedure does its work, your TV will display the inside of a creaky dimly lit cargo container aboard a ship nearing the end of its trans-Atlantic voyage.

We spoke to Kevin Thist, Creative Director from Rockstar for GTA IV. He said the 85 minute installation procedure was meant thematically to get the player into character, adding,

You start the game with nothing& youre an immigrant to Liberty City being snuck into the country with the understanding that youll work off your debt. We realize it sucks, but hey& crossing the Atlantic in a shipping container would suck in real life too and were striving to bring next-gen realism to next-gen gaming. We didnt want to pull any of that go make a sandwich crap that Capcom did with Devil May Cry 4 either, so you have to periodically push buttons to proceed through the installation process; such as pressing X to step on a rat carrying the plague. If you dont sit there and press the button within 3 seconds, the installation process starts over again.

A little bit of trivia: GTA IV is the first game you can die and lose before ever getting to play!

After the long installation procedure, Kevin explained that you emerge from the shipping container on the docks in Libery City. Because youve been in this container for 2-3 weeks, weve utilized the high dynamic range lighting capability of the PS3 to completely overpower you with extremely white whites. Youll have a hard time seeing sh*t in the game for probably two hours. In our internal testing centers, this led to some hilarious sh*t with people wandering directly into traffic, people accidentally pushing children in front of trains, one guy even walked off the wrong side of the ship and died in the harbor!

Full Story...http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/2008/04/subtle-ps3-360-gta-iv-differences-revealed.html#more-3081

Edit: It is satire. Sarcastic gamer. To be honest it will require half that time around 40 minutes to install GTA 4 to PS3. 

DMC 4 took 20 minute download and took up 4GB of PS3 storage capacity.

GTA 4 will take up over 8 GB of storage capacity if installed to PS3 and take around 40 minutes.

Around the Network

it's a joke article, it says it on the bottom as part of fiction friday!!

I m not sure I believe the "push the button before 3 sec OR the install is broken". It seems a bit too much ...

and 85 min ??? WOW
if it is right, it it really big !

Time to Work !

PS3 = PC confirmed?

It's getting pretty ridiculous. I'm not even sure I believe this information, 85 minute installation? What is this, the era of Windows 95 on floppy disks?

Joke article?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

DOATS1 said:
85 minute installation a subtle difference? i think not, i'm sure this is going to convert a lot of ps360 who were swinging towards the ps3 initially. i'm seriously reconsidering my options.

==> basically, if u have the 2 consoles u should buy the Xbox360 version ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network

you people are fools to believe this!!

i know i never. *cough*

DMC 4 required a 30 minute installation. GTA 4 a 85 minute installation. It sounds about right people. 8GB to 10GB is a lot of memory for one game. I say get a bigger hard drive, say 250GB or 500GB. 40 GB or 60GB will soon be maxed out.

I want a R* confirmation before believing this

Why IGN (and all others) didnt say anything about this ?

Time to Work !

You guys are all idiots, lol.

DMC 4 ==> 20 mins installation according to me

Time to Work !