By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Here is why Hack and Slash games don't sell

sethnintendo said:

I'll tell you why they don't sell so well.

Click, click, click, click. click, click, click, click x10000000. Eventually it kind of wears you down but somehow I trooped through Diablo 1 and 2. I guess that is where I burned out.  Takes as much skill as being a button smasher in Soul Caliber, Tekken or Virtua Fighter.

The draw of loot always overrides pain in the hands.

Around the Network

Mehh, hack and slash was never huge like lets say the fighting genre or fps. GOW and DMC are both really good 3D hack n slash games that innovated and were exclusively on PS2 which was the most popular console at the time and GOWs realistic visuals and gore gameplay is what appealed to western gamers.

GOW Asencion felt like more of the same, Dante Inferno was slapped as a GOW clone, Metal Gear Rising was fun for a while nothing ground breaking, Itagaki left Team Ninja so NG3 and Yaiba both sucked, long time fans dont like the new Dante in DMC lots of things going on but yeah shooters and open world games are simply dominating the market for now and probably will for a long time.

Nymeria said:
sethnintendo said:

I'll tell you why they don't sell so well.

Click, click, click, click. click, click, click, click x10000000. Eventually it kind of wears you down but somehow I trooped through Diablo 1 and 2. I guess that is where I burned out.  Takes as much skill as being a button smasher in Soul Caliber, Tekken or Virtua Fighter.

The draw of loot always overrides pain in the hands.

You start questioning your sanity after doing about a billion Baal runs to get to level 94.  I always wondered how someone got to 99 without using bot programs.