By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Non-traditional places buying Wiis

Consoles, almost by definition, were home-consoles.  And basically, that is still true.  However the Wii seems to be trying to break out of that mode, along with the other traditions that were followed by game consoles. 

Now, we've all seen the articles.  Wii in retirement homes, in cruise lines, Six Flags and other amusement places, bars, for therapy (Wii-hibilitation).  With Wii Fit, it will make it into gyms and other health places.

It makes for great advertising, and getting non-gamers a chance to see the Wii when otherwise they might not.  But are all of these places combined enough to make a noticable amount of sales?  Say, 5% of total sales.

Your opinion.  Are all of these just merely fluff?  Or do you think as I do, that they do help convince others to buy Wiis, but by themselves are not all that significant?  Or do these places buy enough to see a meaningfull amount of sales?  Any estimates on how many now are sold to non-home environments?    Life time estimates?

Are there other 'non-traditional' places buying Wiis that I didn't list? 

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network

They just named a deal with some hotel chain. Westin?

I don't know if they will be a primary driver of Wii sales, but they sure can't hurt!

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

The more they reach out to these outside organizations, the more they break from the traditional market; can't be a bad thing. I know churches youth groups are getting Wii's. When I visited my parents church, my sister and her friends were all brawling on the Wii in the youth house...this is the case with many youth groups too

Wii has found appeal with the mainstream market

You forgot Wii at academy award ceremonies...

By themselves I think these do make a small percentage of sales, but it all helps to introduce the Wii to more and more people.

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
They just named a deal with some hotel chain. Westin?

I don't know if they will be a primary driver of Wii sales, but they sure can't hurt!

Yeah, I heard something like that the other day.

I'm kinda mad. All these places have them, and I still can't manage to track one down anywhere around me.