By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - NVIDIA Volta GPUs With GDDR6 Memory Coming Early 2018

Panama said:
Does this make Vega dead on arrival or nay?

Vega releases a long time before Volta. So Volta will naturally beat it. But if you want an AMD card, Vega is a great way to go.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Panama said:
Does this make Vega dead on arrival or nay?

Vega releases a long time before Volta. So Volta will naturally beat it. But if you want an AMD card, Vega is a great way to go.

Hmmm, I'm on the cusp of building a new rig come September so I'm in a bit of a pickle. If I want a single gpu 4k solution, from what we know of the Vega can it deliver? Or should I just hold out till Volta if I can?

Panama said:
vivster said:

Hmmm, I'm on the cusp of building a new rig come September so I'm in a bit of a pickle. If I want a single gpu 4k solution, from what we know of the Vega can it deliver? Or should I just hold out till Volta if I can?

Vega should be able to deliver if you don't expect 100fps across the board. It will feature the superior memory technology with HBM.

You should only wait when you really can. You can expect around 20% performance increase per generation leap. You have to decide if that's worth waiting for you. So the best advice here is as always, buy the best you can afford as soon as you really need it. If you wait, you can wait forever. After all in 2019 AMD will drop Navi, which will easily crush anything Volta.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Panama said:

Vega should be able to deliver if you don't expect 100fps across the board. It will feature the superior memory technology with HBM.

You should only wait when you really can. You can expect around 20% performance increase per generation leap. You have to decide if that's worth waiting for you. So the best advice here is as always, buy the best you can afford as soon as you really need it. If you wait, you can wait forever. After all in 2019 AMD will drop Navi, which will easily crush anything Volta.

Thanks mate. Yeah only really want 60fps 4k HDR for AAA titles, but of course 144fps4k in Overwatch and LoL. Might just go ahead and build it in September then and upgrade the gpu come 2019.

Panama said:
vivster said:

Thanks mate. Yeah only really want 60fps 4k HDR for AAA titles, but of course 144fps4k in Overwatch and LoL. Might just go ahead and build it in September then and upgrade the gpu come 2019.

That is the hope, but please appreciate that 4k at locked 144hz is extremely demanding. I'm leaning towards Navi being able to produce such graphics, Vega 10 might be too early.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
Panama said:

That is the hope, but please appreciate that 4k at locked 144hz is extremely demanding. I'm leaning towards Navi being able to produce such graphics, Vega 10 might be too early.

Yep. We're not quite there yet with the perfect 4k experience. Vega and Volta should come pretty close though. We also have yet to wait for proper 144Hz 4K monitors and DP/HDMI standards that can properly handle it.

HBM2 is called now gddr6?