By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Kinda funny continues to bleed subscribers. Loose over 6,000 dollors on Patreon.

o_O.Q said:

the intent is to censor people yes or to make sure that no one expresses ideas outside of a certain set of ideas... if that isn't the intent then why is there such a response when certain ideas or expressed? or certain jokes or made?

Wanting censorship would mean like, wanting the government to come to Colin's door and throw him in jail for making the joke. 

I don't see many people advocating for that. I just see people exercising their right to call someone an asshole when they think they're behaving like an asshole. 

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

I am offended that someone is offended by a joke. They want to censor the joke , they just need to shut up and stop being offended.

yes i'm opposed to people attempting to censor other people(to an extent obviously) you are correct... if that confuses you then i don't know what to say lol because its pretty simple

the thing guys like you don't get is that at some point you yourself or someone you are related to in some way are going to cross the line and then what will you do when you've helped to advance this ideology? cry?

yes you are ideologically aligned with them now supposedly, but what if that changes? you aren't the person who is spawning the agenda you are just being swept along in its wake supposedly unaware of where it is taking you

Equating backlash to censorship or thinking that you're entitled to good publicity is some of the worst kind of snowflakery IMO.

specialk said:
o_O.Q said:

the intent is to censor people yes or to make sure that no one expresses ideas outside of a certain set of ideas... if that isn't the intent then why is there such a response when certain ideas or expressed? or certain jokes or made?

Wanting censorship would mean like, wanting the government to come to Colin's door and throw him in jail for making the joke. 

I don't see many people advocating for that. I just see people exercising their right to call someone an asshole when they think they're behaving like an asshole. 

for what purpose would someone be called an asshole in this context?

o_O.Q said:

at some point you yourself or someone you...in some way are going to cross the line and then what will you do when you've helped to advance this ideology?

Leverage the backlash into a Patreon netting me $40K a month for a vague promise of creating a platform to discuss freedom or celebrate intellectual curiousity or whatever he said in that video. 

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
specialk said:

Lots of possible reasons. Two off the top of my head would be to,

1.) Make the person calling the other person an asshole feel a little better.

2.) Call out what the perceive to be bad behavior in the hopes of discouraging such behavior in the future.

#2 is not censorship. 

People can say whatever they want. They're not entitled to good publicity though. 

specialk said:
o_O.Q said:

at some point you yourself or someone you...in some way are going to cross the line and then what will you do when you've helped to advance this ideology?

Leverage the backlash into a Patreon netting me $40K a month for a vague promise of creating a platform to discuss freedom or celebrate intellectual curiousity or whatever he said in that video. 

colin was lucky, but not everyone that finds themselves in such a situation are that lucky

here's a question - what good does the kind offense we are seeing here do? what constructive purpose does it have for anyone?

in my view it turns people into easily controlled puppets

specialk said:
o_O.Q said:

Lots of possible reasons. Two off the top of my head would be to,

1.) Make the person calling the other person an asshole feel a little better.

2.) Call out what the perceive to be bad behavior in the hopes of discouraging such behavior in the future.

#2 is not censorship. 

People can say whatever they want. They're not entitled to good publicity though. 

"Call out what the perceive to be bad behavior in the hopes of discouraging such behavior in the future."

exactly, the discouraging of the expression of certain ideas for me is censorship... if you disagree so be it, we agree to disagree

o_O.Q said:

colin was lucky, but not everyone that finds themselves in such a situation are that lucky

here's a question - what good does the kind offense we are seeing here do? what constructive purpose does it have for anyone?

Fair quesiton, so I'll take a stab at it. I'll ask that you keep in mind though, that I thought the joke in this particular instance wasn't so bad and was actually kind of funny. 

A goal in discouraging this type of joke in the context in which it was told, (i.e. slagging off women for a cheap laugh on a day in which women are trying to fight for better treatment) might be to avoid normalizing this behavior. 

I know that sounds a bit Anita Sarkeesian but I do honestly think there might be some merit in it. Brushing off women's issues, treating them like a joke, etc. feeds into our culture and I don't think it's a stretch to say that it has enabled the election of two Presidents in reason history with a demonstrable history of treating women pretty shitty (Bill Clinton and Donald Trump). The President kind of sets the tone and the agenda in the United States.

The President appoints judges that will make rulings on issues that affect women. He staffs the Justice Department with executives whose discretion will determine the enforcement of rules and policies that affect women, etc. 

o_O.Q said:

"Call out what the perceive to be bad behavior in the hopes of discouraging such behavior in the future."

exactly, the discouraging of the expression of certain ideas for me is censorship... if you disagree so be it, we agree to disagree

I have to ask then, is your idea of a world without censorship one in which media personalities can say whatever they want and the public can't or shouldn't comment and their fans can't or shouldn't be able to choose to stop consuming their content?