By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-ray controls 6% of Dthe DVD market?

Loud_Hot_White_Box officially Pwn'd!

But seriously people....

The Nintendo fanboys can admit when Nintendo fucks up, the MS fanboys can admit when MS fucks up (Even Legend11 can admit when MS pisses him off), but good luck getting a Sony fanboy to follow suit. Each company has had their share of black eyes this generation yet why one group pretends their's doesn't have a scratch is just baffling and somewhat frustrating.

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
Kasz216 said:
stephen700 said:
Many ways to compare blu-ray to DVD
Total DVD vs Total blu-ray is also unfair since there are only around 500 titles currently on blu-ray of course many titles are not selling well on blu-ray they are not even available !.

Would be interesting to see how an older title re-release like 2001 originally shot in 70mm film (i just ordered a blu-ray) or new release like BBC's Planet earth which was filmed in 1080p for HD media compare. And how blu re-releases do like the possible upcomming "Dark City" blu-ray.

I think the truith is somewhere in between but one thing is for sure blu-ray is surging upwards very fast.
A projected 30M players in circulation by end of 2008 should result in over 10% of the total optical media market being blu-ray by the end of this year.
The current ~10%:90% (Blu:DVD) will rise to ~20%:80% by end of 2008 and with ~600 current and probably over 1000 titles by end2008 it could make 10% of total market and 20% for new release movies.

How is it unfair to compare them all when you are measureing the amount of market share Blu-ray has captured?

Market Share = Amount of products sold vs your opponents. Coke has more kinda of Soda then RC cola. Yet you don't isolate Coke vs RC cola to test marketshare.

If you want to see how well blu-ray would do if all movies were in blue-ray you take those 500 titles and compare them to the same 500 DVD titles.

Which they don't do because it paints it in a more negative light because Blu-ray sales are likely a LOT more frontloaded.

comparing 500 blu-ray movies to 500 DVDs still isnt' fair for DVD though. Those 500 blu-ray titles were picked to be released by the companies because they thought there was a market for it on blu-ray. many thousands of DVD has not made the change to blu-ray because the market simply isn't there for it. Comparing 500 DVDs to 500 Blu-rays only shows the market for those 500 movies, or those type of movies.

Well at least it'd be more fair then what the Blu-ray consortium is using.

Onimusha12 said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box officially Pwn'd!

But seriously people....

The Nintendo fanboys can admit when Nintendo fucks up, the MS fanboys can admit when MS fucks up (Even Legend11 can admit when MS pisses him off), but good luck getting a Sony fanboy to follow suit. Each company has had their share of black eyes this generation yet why one group pretends their's doesn't have a scratch is just baffling and somewhat frustrating.

because Sony is actually attempting to fix customer compaints and problems. M$ hasn't done anything to correctly solve the RROD and Nintendo still haven't gotten rid of friend-codes and even with this system still makes people use a separate code for Brawl, wtf is up with that?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Nice Onimusha finally got banned. He is such a damn stealth troller. He doesn't even try to be stealthy most of the time. He is one of the most anti-Sony people on the whole website.

Back on topic, Blu-Ray is growing, and will continue to grow, which is great because the studios cannot ignore it for fear of losing revenue. Even a small slice of the pie matters in a shrinking market (the DVD market), especially when that piece of the pie means much higher profit per disc.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Onimusha12 said:
It's unfortunate but Blu-Ray is not the PS3, which I think many people here are trying to use it as a symptom of.

No matter how well Blu-Ray does, it doesn't hide the fact that the gaming division is still struggling with the PS3 or for that matter that the PS3 has set them back more than a decade in profits. Only the PS2 (with ever diminishing returns) and the questionable PSP keep them afloat.

It'll be years before Blu-Ray brings any substantial income to Sony, but that doesn't stop people in the mean time from trying to use it as a diversion from the PS3's mediocre performance and bleak future.

HD TVs still make up less than 10% of the market. And Blu-Ray allegedly only has 6% of the DVD market. Blu-Ray, Divided twenty some ways, that's not much money for Sony in the mean time, at least not on the scale of the operation they're running. In the future it may be a cash cow, but it isn't now and with new formats on the rise including the fast growing digital distribution format, there are many threats to Blu-Ray that DVD never had to bother with.

HDTV's at 10%?  Where the hell have you been?  It is much closer to 40%, and don't even get me started on sales of new TV's.  Those numbers are closer to the 60-70% range.  HDTV's sell very well, and stores like Best Buy push them very hard because it is their biggest source of income.  Adoption will likely hit 50-60% by 2010.

http://parksassociates.blogspot.com/2008/02/hdtv-penetration-and-sales-figures.html

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

It's a start, but I don't expect it to really eat into DVD sales until the players drop below $200. Then the backwards-compatible feature will mean people without HDTVs can still get a good deal on a Blu-ray player that can play their existing library of DVD movies.

My estimate is that Blu-ray sales will break even with DVD sales in 3-5 years.

akuma587 said:

HDTV's at 10%? Where the hell have you been? It is much closer to 40%, and don't even get me started on sales of new TV's. Those numbers are closer to the 60-70% range. HDTV's sell very well, and stores like Best Buy push them very hard because it is their biggest source of income. Adoption will likely hit 50-60% by 2010.

http://parksassociates.blogspot.com/2008/02/hdtv-penetration-and-sales-figures.html

In what universe has HDTV penetration reached 40%?  Nielson stated the percentage in the US was close to 20% last October.  Are you claiming that HDTV penetration in the US has doubled since then?

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=28232

Of course, the US market isn't exactly Sony's strongest with the PS3 (the PS3 still represents less than 20% of current-gen consoles sold), so I imagine that can't be helping the situation for them. 

crumas2 said:
akuma587 said:

HDTV's at 10%? Where the hell have you been? It is much closer to 40%, and don't even get me started on sales of new TV's. Those numbers are closer to the 60-70% range. HDTV's sell very well, and stores like Best Buy push them very hard because it is their biggest source of income. Adoption will likely hit 50-60% by 2010.

In what universe has HDTV penetration reached 40%? Nielson stated the percentage in the US was close to 20% last October. Are you claiming that HDTV penetration in the US has doubled since then?

Of course, the US market isn't exactly Sony's strongest with the PS3 (the PS3 still represents less than 20% of current-gen consoles sold), so I imagine that can't be helping the situation for them.

Cmon, a holiday season with a new HDTV being the hottest product. Is it that hard to imagine?

MontanaHatchet said:
crumas2 said:
akuma587 said:

In what universe has HDTV penetration reached 40%? Nielson stated the percentage in the US was close to 20% last October. Are you claiming that HDTV penetration in the US has doubled since then?

Cmon, a holiday season with a new HDTV being the hottest product. Is it that hard to imagine?

The problem is they have two different definitions of HD penetration.

Akuma's definition is anyone who owns an HDTV. Assuming everyone only has one HDTV.

While Crumas definition of HD Penetration is people who use said HDTVs to watch actual HDTV and not just as fancy looking flatscreen SD TV.

The second definition is going to be more important to Blu-ray adoption rate.

33% owned HD Tvs by July.  20% in the US were actually watching HD contend by October. 

Draw from that whatever you want.   

PS3 and X360 ,and Even PSP are promoted as media players and media client's and servers and offer HD-DVD, Blu-Ray ,DVD ,CD , Music and Video downloads, so they are also media devices as well as gaming devices for many people.
The ability of the PS3 to play 1080P content from blu-ray (which it also uses for all it's games) and the success of the blu-ray format obviously is important for gaming since the PS3 is also a popular blu-ray player, as well as just a gaming machine. ( i am watching DVD and Blu-ray on my PS3 more than playing games since most console games are unworthy of my attention ).

Sony have the interesting problem now that selling their console at break even to buyers who intended to only use it as a blu-ray player wont make them any profit - unless they can entice these people to also buy games.

PS3 number 1 fan