By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Breath of the Wild, perfect scores, and framerate

As I'm sure many here are aware, a plethora of perfect scores followed in the wake of Breath of the Wild's release and some were quick to point out the framerate issues the game has. A valid point but I can't help but wonder where these people have been this past decade?

Breath of the Wild is NOT the first of its kind.

Gaming publications granting perfect scores to technically-imperfect titles is nothing new. Recalling a few from memory, I think of Shadow of the Colossus:

Winner of perfect scores ( http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/shadow-of-the-colossus/critic-reviews ) and beloved by countless many despite its technical limitations.

Or the Witcher 3, a title that released with its own technical issues:

And still won perfect scores ( http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/critic-reviews ) and numerous awards.

The Last of Us on the PS3 was hailed by some as game of its generation and also achieved many perfect scores ( http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/the-last-of-us/critic-reviews ) . I imagine the praise did not originate from its framerate:

I think it's safe to conclude that the gaming press in general doesn't care about framerate or can look past it under certain circumstances. That seems to have been the case in Breath of the Wild.

Around the Network

Yeah, contrary to popular belief, presentation and technicalities doesn't affect scores that much. 8-bit games score as much as photorealistic games, even if either are from indie developers (look at Axiom Verge vs Rocket League, or Shovel Knight vs Fast RMX). It's all about gameplay, and for it to be bearable during the majority of your time (nobody cares if a game runs at 10 fps if it happens twice in a 60 hour game).

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I'm sure there are more issues than that for some to consider BotW less than perfect, but hey, I suppose these issues weren't enough to drop down scores for some reviews, including framerate issues. Having played a lot of Zelda, I had maybe one minor hiccup? Perhaps some of the higher scores rarely encountered them as well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
I'm sure there are more issues than that for some to consider BotW less than perfect, but hey, I suppose these issues weren't enough to drop down scores for some reviews, including framerate issues. Having played a lot of Zelda, I had maybe one minor hiccup? Perhaps some of the higher scores rarely encountered them as well.

They likely shrugged them off.

Cloudman said:
Having played a lot of Zelda, I had maybe one minor hiccup? Perhaps some of the higher scores rarely encountered them as well.

Ya i just beat BOTW over the weekend and have close to 50 hours put into the game and only noticed the framerate drop like 2-3 times. Such a minor issue probably isn't going to affect review scores too much, however if the drops were frequent and affected the enjoyment of the game than it would likely have brought the score down for many reviewers.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Cloudman said:

They likely shrugged them off.

Yeah, probably for some, it didn't occur enough to warrent dropping the score.

zorg1000 said:
Cloudman said:
Having played a lot of Zelda, I had maybe one minor hiccup? Perhaps some of the higher scores rarely encountered them as well.

Ya i just beat BOTW over the weekend and have close to 50 hours put into the game and only noticed the framerate drop like 2-3 times. Such a minor issue probably isn't going to affect review scores too much, however if the drops were frequent and affected the enjoyment of the game than it would likely have brought the score down for many reviewers.

That is likely what did happen. I listened to a review discussion of 3 people on a video, and while there was one person who docked a point because of the frame rate issues, another person said they didn't encounter any drops at all.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Only people who care are the fanboys who claim a game runs at 20 fps because of rare drops.

You want to know an ACTUAL game which runs at 20 fps all the time? Snake eater. Guess what the score is on metacritic? 91.

monocle_layton said:
Only people who care are the fanboys who claim a game runs at 20 fps because of rare drops.

You want to know an ACTUAL game which runs at 20 fps all the time? Snake eater. Guess what the score is on metacritic? 91.

ya i mean maybe it drops to 28 or 29 frequently but are most people even going to notice that?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Frames do drop noticeably at certain parts especially Hateno and Kakariko village, but overall, the framerate is fine

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Not all of us, but many of us didn't know or care about frame rate until some site told us it was bad. Even during the 360 days, I couldn't care less about stutter or screen tearing or resolution. I was to busy being wowed by the good stuff. Now, everybody and their grandma want nothing less than a stable 60fps and a 4k image.