By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling’s site under attack after Zelda: BotW review

d21lewis said:
Nem said:

He doesnt need adverisement. He is supported on patreon.

He doesn't get YouTube revenue?

No. He intentionally disables ads on his videos.

Around the Network

Now he is talking about metabombing.
Zelda evil fans metabombing HZD user score.

Just for everyone thinking this guy was "fair".

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Azuren said:
zero129 said:

What i find amazing is how many Sony gamers in this thread has problems with a game they never played.

50+ hours in.

1. Motion puzzles are garbage.

2. I wish I could keep track of my weapons' durability. 

3. Button placements for sprint and jump are trash.

4. Locking content (Epona, Hero Tunic, etc) behind difficult to find IRL toys is bullshit.

Anything on Amiibo is pointless. You can find horses in game that are as good or better than Epons.

The tunics are just asthetic things. The actual game has it's own hero tunic, that does the same bonuses as the amiibo ones do, and I think might be stronger as well. So the amiibo ones are basically just a costume.

Nem said:
haxxiy said:

400,000 views a week is not a lot. Some media vehicles do up to a hundred times better than that and are very much concerned on how much money they are going to win with advertising.  In the past, the media earned a lot more from subscription rather than advertising, so quality was actually their main concern. When you earn it all with advertising, only one thing matters - clicks, and nothing attracts clicks better than misguided headlines and deliberately stocking a strong reaction from your target audience. I'm not saying it is good or bad, right or wrong - only that is how most of the media works today,  placing notoriety above quality.

I'm not sure, and I'm unable to properly estimate, the proper standard deviation for the scores of the Zelda game in question - but it is very likely that, on a normal distribution curve, reviews on the 60-70 range for a game rated 98 shouldn't really appear until it gets hundreds of different reviews. It's a thumb rule of proper statistics. Now, I don't know what goes on on Jim Sterling's head (and neither do you) but it is reasonable to suggest his review was entirely fair and concerned with quality alone, for there is evidence that it is so.

And it's not by making a strawman of other people's arguments that you will be able to effectively defend his choice, mind you.

He doesnt need adverisement. He is supported on patreon.

And what happens if his views go down to a couple thousand instead of 400k?

I'm guessing he loses any big patreons he has giving him donations.

But either way, whether ad revenue or patreon revenue, he got clicks, attention, ect. This click bait may have brought new people who want ot donate to him that have never heard of him before this. Click bait in essenese means that the video/article got a lot of clicks/views. Patreons are people who donate. The more people that watch something, the more potential donaters.

Patreon vs ad revenue are the same thing when dealing with click bait. They both produce more money with more views. They just get their money differently .

Pavolink said:

Err... you think there aren't people who do that?

Theres the other way around aswell. Surely this isn't surprising...

Nem said:
Pavolink said:

He is mostly focusing on the evil Zelda fans. Says only few are doing for Zelda, while Horizon is a victim.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Nem said:
Pavolink said:

Horizon has a higher user score than Zelda, so him only calling out Zelda fans (without any proof) just shows how biased he is. His review lacks integrity as I said before. 

And for those saying he doesn't benefit from clicks because he disables ads... He does benefit because the more people know him, the more people he can beg money from on patreon. This whole "disabling youtube revenue" is just a marketing stunt to make him appear better than everyone else. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

potato_hamster said:
sc94597 said:

The conversation was about outliers and metacritic scores. Don't try to deflect now (like you have done countless times in this thread.) You made a point about consistency and I countered it with an example. Address that rather than deflecting to a different discussion entirely. 

Jim is being consistent, just not in a way you like. He is consistently giving his personal opinion and rating. You know it is possible that Jim genuinely does like Hyrule Warriors on the 3DS more than he does Breath of the Wild, right. I know you personally can't imagine it because that isn't your perference, but again, it appears you have trouble learing that your opinions are subjective, and your opinion isn't inherently better than anyone else's.

I wasn't talking about Jim. You were questioning the consistency of Nintendo fans. The question was: would they have applied the same metric of being against outliers if the tables were turned: a 70% game were given a 95%? And I provided a scenario where they had been. That was the topic at hand. 

Again stop with your dishonest argumentative tactics of moving the conversation to something it was not about. The bolded is just desparately dishonest. Nobody seriously believes that opinions are objective facts, but neither is it true that opinions are entirely equally made and distanced from the facts and premises made to form them. Very few people, today, consider somebody who has the opinion "All jews should die" justified in their belief, for example.  Opinions aren't all equally justified, even if they are subjective. The totally relativistic view of opinions is ridiculous. 

From his website 

"The frenzy surrounding The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a whole new level of fan overreaction, and this is coming from someone who’s seen what happens when you say Uncharted isn’t perfect.

When they’re not busy launching DDoS attacks against outlets that didn’t like the game as much as they did, they’re being really very angry at Horizon: Zero Dawn, a game with very little connection to Zelda but has become a popular target of BotW‘s most delirious fanbabies.

Both games are huge open world experiences, and both are exclusive to particular consoles. This is of course a recipe for disaster where the two games were destined to be compared in the most vitriolic ways imaginable. Plenty of Nintendo’s zealots were furious when they learned of my own highly favorable review, and if you believe them, Zero Dawn‘s fanbase has had an axe to grind against Breath of the Wild for a long time.

The reality, however, is not quite as these wearers of green, pointy, tinfoil-lined hats would lead you to believe."

Is he fucking serious? It were BOTW fans who bombed Horizon's user score? And not the opposite scenario? Guess which user score applies to which game. 

Now his intentions behind his shitty review are quite clear. He is bitter that BotW scored better than Horizon: Zero Dawn, a game he really likes. 

Dam him! what a attention seeking B!

Im a huge zelda fan and i didnt like BotW but this guys review now seems like it was just for clicks. What a douche.

well atleast i still didnt learn his name or visit his site. Just got all info off vgcharts haha.

so no fame gotten form this zelda fan!

sc94597 said:

From his website 

"The frenzy surrounding The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a whole new level of fan overreaction, and this is coming from someone who’s seen what happens when you say Uncharted isn’t perfect.

When they’re not busy launching DDoS attacks against outlets that didn’t like the game as much as they did, they’re being really very angry at Horizon: Zero Dawn, a game with very little connection to Zelda but has become a popular target of BotW‘s most delirious fanbabies.

Both games are huge open world experiences, and both are exclusive to particular consoles. This is of course a recipe for disaster where the two games were destined to be compared in the most vitriolic ways imaginable. Plenty of Nintendo’s zealots were furious when they learned of my own highly favorable review, and if you believe them, Zero Dawn‘s fanbase has had an axe to grind against Breath of the Wild for a long time.

The reality, however, is not quite as these wearers of green, pointy, tinfoil-lined hats would lead you to believe."

Is he fucking serious? It were BOTW fans who bombed Horizon's user score? And not the opposite scenario? Guess which user score applies to which game. 

Now his intentions behind his shitty review are quite clear. He is bitter that BotW scored better than Horizon: Zero Dawn, a game he really likes. 

"Perusing the user reviews for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, there is very little evidence to suggest Horizon‘s zealous devotees (I’m sure it has them) have been orchestrating anything of the sort.  Yes, a handful of user reviews that gave Zelda a 0 also gave Horizon a 10. Going over the accounts myself, I’ve been able to spot a grand total of two users that did it.

Both skilly225 and Skyerls-Pidar fit the profile of somebody who is theoretically spiting Breath of the Wild in some irrational attempt to elevate Zero Dawn. Even among those two, only one of them has a clear axe to grind against Nintendo games – Skylerlst is clearly creaming themselves over PlayStation titles and applying zeroes to Nintendo’s output. The other one has rated various Nintendo games highly and claims to predominantly be a PC user.

If we expand the search to 1/10 reviews, we can find some more evidence. Lampiaobr is blatantly on Metacritic for one specific purpose, and AmazedBunion gave Horizon an 8… while also giving Black Ops III a 9/10. They might just be doing their own bizarre thing.

As we go through the 2/10 scores and 3/10 scores, any Horizon in the history of the reviewers seems to evaporate entirely. Meanwhile, the vast majority of negative reviews appear to be genuinely critical of various aspects of the game or are random drive-by shitposts that have no ulterior motive other than to kick the wasp’s nest.

What happens, however, if we flip the script? How many reviewers who gave Breath of the Wild a perfect 10 went ahead and slapped a big ol’ zilch on a scathing writeup of Guerilla Games’ production?

Say hello to Jimmyrustle22, estenoriega, MORJ, Linknlogs227, ivanmd09, navaga, csgopro, and ivand88! That’s just a selection of users who simultaneously wrote reviews issuing a 0/10 for Horizon and a 10/10 for Zelda.

They’re not the only ones, either. Here’s a negative Zero Dawn review from skysayrain that cheerily admits to what they’re doing:

“The game score is way too high,” they said of Horizon. “Don’t have the game will buy it, probably will enjoy it. giving this game 0 out of 10 in the name of Zelda for all those PS fan boys. good day! =)”"

So, presented with evidence you attack the one presenting you the evidence? For shame!

Also, he didnt say it was the zelda fans that bombed Horizon's score. But that there were more that did it than the other way around.

See, thing about Jim is, he isn't attacking the game. He is attacking the fans (who attacked him first). And i applaud him for that. These reactions are shameful and we should be above them.