By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Battle System - A Closer Look

Hello fellow VGChartz'ers, deskpro2k3 here and we have to talk about FFVIIR. Combat is the main focus of the game and especially with the fact that when you look at the command list, and the UI of the game there are some interesting things to talk about. A lot of people is against these changes but this is why I made this thread because we need to understand what we know so far, and not blindly hate on something. Keep in mind everything that we do know is not finalized.

I've played FF7 many times from start to finish and it's still my favorite Final Fantasy, I do not want to see that same game all over again with just a shiny coat of paint, that's just my opinion.

Now without further ado, lets get on with this closer look of the battle system that so many are so worried about.

Attack, Items, and Magic menu are things we've seen before, but the Materia menu is new because usually materia is what gives you special abilities, summon, and magic in the original game, but now it seems that you can directly access materia from the in-game menu in combat leading me to believe that you might be able to make materia combinations on the fly.

Also you might notice Materia is highlighted out with a different colored bar which could mean that it is not yet unlocked in this part of the game or can't directly access until you're thought how to use it.

Another interesting thing taking place in the UI in the action menu is the L1, and R1 button. It doesn't show what they're used for unless they're for selecting and switching to another character, or switching to another command attack list on another character. Another fact is that I remember in PSX 2015, I've seen the trailer showing that you can control Barret.

One of the coolest things about the original FFVII is the Limit Break, it was just one bar, you fill it up, and then you used it, but in the Remake it looks like the Limit Break meter is separated into three bars. You have one bar that can represent one thing and then all 3 bars with a golden glow which could mean a super attack so use it ASAP. Another thing to point out is the Triangle button with Lv1 right next to it. This could mean Limit Break Lv1, who knows.

Also take notice of the ATB bar, how is this going to work i'm not sure but I would imagine it would work in a way that you have to wait for it to fill up to cast magic spells or to use a special ability. Again I'm not sure how that ATB bar is going to work.

FFXIV, (AOE/directional attacks)

Now lets talk about the Guardian Scorpion fight because there is something going on here that we also need to talk about. There are target icon circles all over the ground (highlighted with an X) Which reminds me of FFXIV when an AOE/Directional attack is going to happen, it is highlighted and painted on the gound meaning that you should get out of the way to avoid getting rekt in the face. Or it could just mean that it's a Guadian Scorpion thing when you shouldn't attack him when his tail is raised up or he'll blast the crap out of you.

Conclusion, this is nothing similar to FFXV, even though it is an Action-RPG. Nomura just need to focus on all these action elements because so far to me it seems that precise timing, defense, dodging, movements, and strategy is going to be a big part in FFVIIR combat system.

Thank you for your time, discuss.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
Hiku said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Another thing to point out is the Triangle button with Lv1 right next to it. This could mean Limit Break Lv1, who knows.

I believe I read earlier that Triangle was for special attacks. The Blue ATB gauge is depleted when you use special attacks.

Also take notice of the ATB bar, how is this going to work i'm not sure but I would imagine it would work in a way that you have to wait for it for fill up to cast magic spells or to use a special ability. Again I'm not sure how that ATB bar is going to work.

The ATB gauge does not fill up automatically. It actually depletes if you do nothing. In order to fill it up, you need to attack.

As for L1 and R1, I hope that allows you to take control of other members. In the original game we could play using every member of the team, so that's not something I imagine they would change.

Have to consider that is an old footage from 2015 though, maybe it changed. The UI looks very different there.

Hiku said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Have to consider that is an old footage from 2015 though, maybe it changed.

Yeah I edited in "As of the E3 2015 trailer" before you replied.
We haven't seen any indication of this changing yet, as we only have still from recent footage. But earlier, that's how it worked.

I also edited in something about Summon and Defend.

Oh Yeah I agree about defending, FFVII has a lot of characters and 2 of them is optional, and now in the Remake we can cover behind objects.

About changing characters, It would be really dumb if we can't control anyone else to help heal the party etc. *coughFFXVcough*coughonly4characterscough*

I don't see Seth Meyers anywhere...

This game will let us control all characters which is a good thing. I just hope there's a way to switch characters we control in the heat of battle to allow more strategic and diverse ways of approaching opponents.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:

wrong thread

deskpro2k3 said:
Ljink96 said:

wrong thread

Oh, I was just trying to tell a joke, I guess it wasn't very funny

Ljink96 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

wrong thread

no worries, I fixed it.

deskpro2k3 said:
Ljink96 said:

no worries, I fixed it.

lmfao, good work XD

So like yeah man, it's too bad this awesome thread is overlooked.