By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, is VR the future of gaming?

?

It's the future but not for gaming 16 17.58%

no future at all 19 20.88%

yes, it's the future of gaming 23 25.27%

it's another niche option for a small group 33 36.26%

Total:91

Not for another dozen years at least.

Around the Network

Yes, it's the future - the present however, is merely a step in the direction of that future.

The day we have affordable 4K resolution, light, comfortable, wireless VR headsets, with consoles powerful enough to run it all at 120hz, is the day VR will truly be the bar from which all future advancement is based on.

Static display's days are numbered.

John2290 said:
onionberry said:

I'm talking about gaming, do you think that vr has a future in gaming? Cause VR will be a success  with the right applications in the future (netflix, facebook, live concerts, etc) that's for sure. The only way I see it happening is if there's a VR console right out of the box.

Given enough time. Of course, absolutely. Even for third person games and genres you may not think are VR friendly. It might not grab gaming to hard before the end of this decade but AR and VR will have a huge success in gaming in the 2020's and beyond.

I would be honest fallout 4 VR edition could be a seller for me cause that my type of genre, so maybe the content will change my mindset.

NATO said:
Yes, it's the future - the present however, is merely a step in the direction of that future.

The day we have affordable 4K resolution, light, comfortable, wireless VR headsets, with consoles powerful enough to run it all at 120hz, is the day VR will truly be the bar from which all future advancement is based on.

LivingMetal said:

No sarcasm, just how it is. as VR/AR headsets improve and drop in price, the point of having a monitor/tv gradually becomes less and less important.

I'm fairly certain within our lifetime, we will move on from monitors/tv's to personal, high definition displays, and the TV/monitor as we currently know it will still be around but used much less.

There was a time, not all that long ago, back when the world was shifting from CRT to LCD that people proclaimed LCD too expensive to succeed and that it would never become as popular as the standard CRT - these days barely anyone has a CRT, that same shift in technologies can and will happen again.

Around the Network
NATO said:
LivingMetal said:

No sarcasm, just how it is. as VR/AR headsets improve and drop in price, the point of having a monitor/tv gradually becomes less and less important.

I'm fairly certain within our lifetime, we will move on from monitors/tv's to personal, high definition displays, and the TV/monitor as we currently know it will still be around but used much less.

There was a time, not all that long ago, back when the world was shifting from CRT to LCD that people proclaimed LCD too expensive to succeed and that it would never become as popular as the standard CRT - these days barely anyone has a CRT, that same shift in technologies can and will happen again.

For single personal use, I can phantom that.  But television screens are still the center of visual entertainment for families and groups to enjoy together.  Yes, technology will improve, and costs will go down.  And even with the change of tech in television as you stated earlier, the principle I mention still applies. 

It won't replace the traditional gaming but it's gonna big in long term.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

NATO said:

nah, traditional TV gaming and VR will coexist for a long long time

Not before it loses the literal cords that hold it back.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I do believe VR is the next evolution for Videogames.

But for movies, and entertainment in general, Mixed Reality should be the path to follow.

Has anyone seen Black Mirror series in Netflix?