By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So many PS4 games have female leads

If you're going to include uncharted dlc, infamous first light also has a female lead

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
outlawauron said:

uh, what. PS3 had Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Mirror's Edge, Final Fantasy XIII, Remember Me, Beyond Two Souls, Lolipop Chainsaw, Tales of Xillia.

PS has a lot of Japanese games, and Japanese developers tend to have more female main characters than their western counterparts.

And let's add this from both last and this gen:

Who is the one in the middle and which game is she from?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
LivingMetal said:

And let's add this from both last and this gen:

Who is the one in the middle and which game is she from?

That's Iris Heart from Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory so she in particular was on the PS3 and VITA.  The rest have been in both this and last gen's Sony consoles.

Turkish said:

gawd the gamefaqs board for Horizon is as toxic as the worst youtube comments

MTZehvor said:

Samus Aran and Lara Croft would like a word with you.

Metroid is dead and TR is a staple franchise, both have been around for decades. Horizon is probably the biggest game with a female lead to launch since TR in 1996.

Define "biggest." Biggest as in biggest sales numbers? Dishonored 2 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate will likely sell better, and 2013 Tomb Raider (8.5 million) is all but guaranteed to out sell it. Biggest as in greatest amount of hype surrounding it? Metroid Prime and reboot Tomb Raider definitely outdid it on that front as well. Biggest as in highest reviews? Horizon (88) won't surpass the Metacritic scores that any of the Prime Trilogy had (97, 92, 90) or Bayonetta 2 (91). Heck, if early reviews of Nier: Automata are any indication, it might not even be the highest rated PS4 game with a female lead this year.

To get back to the original point, I'm all for developers putting whoever they want, regardless of gender, on the cover, but let's not pretend like ND broke some uncharted (pun intended) ground here by sticking a female character on the front of their game when some still yet to be identified entity asked them to not. Admirable decision? Yes. Trend setter? No. Samus, Lara, and others broke that ground before Guerilla Games even existed.

MTZehvor said:
Turkish said:

gawd the gamefaqs board for Horizon is as toxic as the worst youtube comments

Metroid is dead and TR is a staple franchise, both have been around for decades. Horizon is probably the biggest game with a female lead to launch since TR in 1996.

Define "biggest." Biggest as in biggest sales numbers? Dishonored 2 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate will likely sell better, and 2013 Tomb Raider (8.5 million) is all but guaranteed to out sell it. Biggest as in greatest amount of hype surrounding it? Metroid Prime and reboot Tomb Raider definitely outdid it on that front as well. Biggest as in highest reviews? Horizon (88) won't surpass the Metacritic scores that any of the Prime Trilogy had (97, 92, 90) or Bayonetta 2 (91). Heck, if early reviews of Nier: Automata are any indication, it might not even be the highest rated PS4 game with a female lead this year.

To get back to the original point, I'm all for developers putting whoever they want, regardless of gender, on the cover, but let's not pretend like ND broke some uncharted (pun intended) ground here by sticking a female character on the front of their game when some still yet to be identified entity asked them to not. Admirable decision? Yes. Trend setter? No. Samus, Lara, and others broke that ground before Guerilla Games even existed.

We dont know sales numbers of Dishonored 2 but steam numbers say it sold 8 times worse than Dishonored 1. AC Syndicate doesnt have an exclusive female protagonist and neither was it featured prominently in marketing. Horizon is Sony's new big IP, it's gonna do Uncharted numbers, that means 7 to 10 million sales. Bayonetta is bomba and Metroid is dead like I said, I bet most people who heard about it dont know there is a woman under that suit. I mean remember the kid who asked y Metroid cant crawl? And why you bring up Metroid anyway? Metroid is older than 1996. So as I said, Horizon is the 2nd biggest IP with a female lead since TR in 1996.

In terms of critical success, people are saying Horizon deserves way more than 88.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
VGPolyglot said:

But that doesn't make sense, because I assume that you interact with women every day. So they should be at least more relateable than somehow being able to imagine being a robot/alien/in a fantasy setting.

That does not matter, because it does not have to make sense to you.  Same goes for how it does not have to make sense to me why a male would want to immerse himself in a game that portrays him as a female.  All personal preference.

I am a male and therefore I can only become immersed in a game that I play as a male.  Race, ethnicity, etc does not matter to me, but gender does.  I have my preferences, it really is that simple.

That doesn't make sense to me. I could understand if its a game like Skrim where its character creation. But a story driven game with a feamale lead should not matter ones gender.

Can you not a watch a movie or read a book that has a lead female too?

Feels like you self insert yourself too much into games.

Turkish said:
MTZehvor said:

We dont know sales numbers of Dishonored 2 but steam numbers say it sold 8 times worse than Dishonored 1. AC Syndicate doesnt have an exclusive female protagonist and neither was it featured prominently in marketing. Horizon is Sony's new big IP, it's gonna do Uncharted numbers, that means 7 to 10 million sales. Bayonetta is bomba and Metroid is dead like I said, I bet most people who heard about it dont know there is a woman under that suit. I mean remember the kid who asked y Metroid cant crawl? And why you bring up Metroid anyway? Metroid is older than 1996. So as I said, Horizon is the 2nd biggest IP with a female lead since TR in 1996.

In terms of critical success, people are saying Horizon deserves way more than 88.

Oh, please. Don't cite Superdata predictions. They make Michael Patcher look like Lyn Cassady. These are the guys that mispredicted the overpredicted the amount of revenue Super Mario Run would make by two times as much as it actually brought in. 7-10 million is an absolutely ludicrous estimate for a new IP, especially one that's console exclusive.

I brought up Metroid because, as you'll recall, this discussion originally centered around whether Naughty Dog had broken new ground by putting female characters on the box art (and honestly had nothing to do with Horizon). I mentioned games like Metroid, Tomb Raider, Bayonetta, Final Fantasy, and Heavenly Sword as titles that have featured playable female protagonists exclusively on the front in order to make the point that, no, this is not new ground being broken. It's an admirable decision on ND's part to resist whatever pressure they were under, certainly. But this isn't a new revelation for the video game industry. AC Syndicate and Dishonored 2 tie into this as well, because while neither has an exclusive female protagonist, TLoU also does not. 

Simply put, it's irrelevant whether Metroid is "dead" (it isn't) or whether Bayonetta is "bomba" (whatever that means), because the point is solely that these games broke that same ground years, if not decades, before TLoU.

Oh, yeah, and "people" always complain that their favorite game doesn't get a high enough rating.

Jaicee said:

Just wanted to comment on this as a feminist female gamer:

I'm actually not familiar with some of these titles (namely Nier Automata, Tales of Berseria, and I don't even know what TLOU II stands for), but since you're including Detroit, I have to point out that when I say that a game has a female lead, I don't mean that it also has a male lead. We could also point out that Uncharted Lost Legacy is DLC, not a proper game.

THAT SAID, I would agree that there are definitely more female-centric games for PlayStation 4 than for Xbox One or Wii U (perhaps even combined). Partially that just reflects the fact that Sony's system is winning the current generation's console battle and thus is winding up with a larger game library in general, but it's also partially a reflection of Sony's increased effort in this area as a first-party publisher, e.g. Bound, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, etc. Contrast that with say Nintendo, which doesn't have a single female-centric franchise remainng now that, as of last year, they've booted Samus Aran from the Metroid franchise. So yeah, I think that contrast does speak well of Sony.

At the bolded: It stands for The Last of Us Part II. It's Naughty Dog's next AAA project, now that they're finished with Uncharted 4.

As a side note, Lost Legacy isn't just DLC. It started out as that, but the project expanded to the point it's now getting a proper stand alone release in physical stores. Obviously it's not going to be on the scale of UC4 or TLOUII, but we can probably expect something similar to inFAMOUS: First Light.

Man if virtue signalling was a currency...

Uncharted: Lost Legacy is a standalone game, people. Same with First Light. So, those are games with female leads. And since when also having a male lead means there's no female lead. By that logic, Dishonored 2 has neither a male nor female lead.