By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Advice - Stable corporate job vs Exciting/fulfilling Non-Profitable job.

Make your choice (Clementine will remember that)

Bank -> Software Devel... 10 47.62%

NGO -> Senior Develope... 11 52.38%

Total:21
Jay_Angel said:
I mean at this point in your life do you value what you care about, or simply just want the money?

Do you have a family to think about that has value to this choice? If you are single, you are able to take more selfish risks.

Im single and dont have any family of my own. That said I still support my parents, either job would allow me to continue to do so.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
"the software is transitioning to a new South African implementer. I am expected to transition to this new organisation in mid-February as a Senior Developer"

If your gonna have to move to africa that might be a issue too.
How do you feel about uprooting your family? unless their 100% on it, dont, go for the bank job where you stay where you are.

I already live in Africa, Zambia to be exact. Im also single so I have freedom in that regard.

starcraft said:
On the question of how much difference you'll make, only you can quantify exactly what that means to you. I would argue that central banks play a critical role in providing financial stability for their country's population (though I am unfamiliar with the specific role of the central bank in Zambia).

But I would say that as a 25 year old, the central bank role is a fantastic opportunity to provide long term opportunity and value for yourself and your family. Everyone has an anecdote about someone they know who has a job that is rewarding spiritually and not financially. Or people who gave it all up for a charitable role and it brought them great happiness. The reality is that these individuals are an anomaly. There is no evidence I am aware of that these options lead to greater long-term happiness, and some evidence that it is actually a very bad idea. This article isn't about what you're proposing to do, but should give you an idea of what I mean:

https://qz.com/698943/whatever-you-do-dont-quit-your-job-to-pursue-your-passion/

I would propose an alternative. Right now, as much as it would present day-to-day cultural challenges for you, take the central bank job. Do this role, and similar roles, for 5-10 years. When you're older, have substantial experience, and better financial security, you can re-evaluate and decide whether you'd like to move to roles where you feel you're giving more back. With the greater experience you have, you may actually be more use to the NGO's you then choose to work for.

Thanks for this perspective, I will take it into consideration going forward.

binary solo said:

The money should be the last thing you consider IMO. Take the job that will give you the most satisfaction in all elements other than income.

If you want wealth, then trying to achieve it through salary and bonuses is not a good way of doing it. Try to make sure you divert some of your income from work into good investments and then rely on your investments to generate wealth. That way you will get to do the thing you enjoy most for your day to day job without having to worry about the financial side.

This is a valid point. Im currently looking into investing in my local stock market, businesses and mutual funds.

I save an obscene amount of money (about 60% of my takehome salary) but I know its not the most optimal way to make real wealth.

monocle_layton said:
As long as you are working and providing for your family, I don't think you should beat yourself up over the decision. You had a job that I assume was tough and difficult. You engaged in a great career, and are still going to enter another one which will benefit people.

My only advice is to not stress out too much. Otherwise, good luck.

Thank you for pointing this out man, I appreciate the input.

Around the Network
Jay_Angel said:
I mean at this point in your life do you value what you care about, or simply just want the money?

Do you have a family to think about that has value to this choice? If you are single, you are able to take more selfish risks.

I know its a cop out but I value both. I love software development in general, however working in the health sector has a direct impact on some of the poorest and most vulnerable people in my country (of which there are far too many). Its a huge moral icing on the cake if you will. But on the flip side, the corporate world can really boost my experience and open doors to much more lucrative jobs. At the end of the day I just have to make peace with the fact that I have contributed to the development of my country for 4 years now, and perhaps its OK to look out for my best interests and make "selfish" decisions.

etking said:
Go for the corporate job. You will not regret it and if you work hard you might come into a position where your impact is bigger than you could have ever imagined. Nothing can be more fulfilling than real power. Also you will gain much better access to resources, as money does not matter at all for higher positions in big corporations.
Even if you stay there for a few years only, you will probably learn and experience more during that time than in your entire working life after.

Thank you for pointing this out. Ill take it into consideration going forward

A huge thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. You guys have given me a lot of things to consider which will help me make a more informed decision.

SubiyaCryolite said:
starcraft said:
On the question of how much difference you'll make, only you can quantify exactly what that means to you. I would argue that central banks play a critical role in providing financial stability for their country's population (though I am unfamiliar with the specific role of the central bank in Zambia).

But I would say that as a 25 year old, the central bank role is a fantastic opportunity to provide long term opportunity and value for yourself and your family. Everyone has an anecdote about someone they know who has a job that is rewarding spiritually and not financially. Or people who gave it all up for a charitable role and it brought them great happiness. The reality is that these individuals are an anomaly. There is no evidence I am aware of that these options lead to greater long-term happiness, and some evidence that it is actually a very bad idea. This article isn't about what you're proposing to do, but should give you an idea of what I mean:

https://qz.com/698943/whatever-you-do-dont-quit-your-job-to-pursue-your-passion/

I would propose an alternative. Right now, as much as it would present day-to-day cultural challenges for you, take the central bank job. Do this role, and similar roles, for 5-10 years. When you're older, have substantial experience, and better financial security, you can re-evaluate and decide whether you'd like to move to roles where you feel you're giving more back. With the greater experience you have, you may actually be more use to the NGO's you then choose to work for.

Thanks for this perspective, I will take it into consideration going forward.

No problem. Only you can make the right call mate. Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

money - bills bills bills and gaming isn't free