By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo France expecting that Switch sale numbers this year will pass Wii U LT numbers in France

Normchacho said:
Volterra_90 said:

Nintendo should be ambitious if they want to be back to number one with the Switch. Nothing wrong about that. If things don't go smoothly, they have time to adjust their expectations :P

They need to be realistic. There are actually financial ramifications for misjudging the market demand for a product.

I still think it will sell like hotcakes at 300, so I think it makes sense financial-wise. Now, they still have room for a price cut if things don't go well. Maybe for Christmas. There's no rush imo.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Faelco said:

Yeah, but they still plan to sell the same number of 3DS too. I don't know how they plan to still sell the same number of 3DS, and push people to buy just as much Switches on top of that.

Because the audience buying a system in year 1 and the audience buying a system in year 7 are completely different.

And?

First of all, the 3DS sales in France have been quite stable around the 700k for a while now, so it's not only about "year 7" here.

And if they sell 700k 3DS, and if more than 1M people buy a PS4 once again (it's been like this in 2015 and 2016), then where will they magically find 700k other people for the Switch? The market as its limits, consumers' money has its limits. You can't expect the consoles market in France to grow by more than a third (PS4+3DS+One+Wii U equals close to 2M, the Wii U being close to 100k) just because of the Switch, when it's been rather falling lately. The consoles market is back at its 2013 level at 600 M€ after a peak at 750 M€ in 2014 (after PS4/One launch), anyone expecting a 30% growth of this market thanks to huge Switch sales but without anything else falling hard to compensate is mistaking IMO.

Hardcore Nintendo fans excepted, no one kept 300€ aside for months/year while waiting for the Switch...

It's possible, but I don't think they will hit it by the end of the year :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Faelco said:
zorg1000 said:
Thats roughly what 3DS has averaged each year in France so it is possible.

Yeah, but they still plan to sell the same number of 3DS too. I don't know how they plan to still sell the same number of 3DS, and push people to buy just as much Switches on top of that.

Well, I imagine the strategy would be for existing 3DS/WiiU owners to upgrade and to reach the lower end of the market that hasn't yet bought any system with the 3DS. I expect a 3DS pricedrop around the holydays at the latest. 2DS for 50€, New3DS for 120€ and New3DSXL for 160€ maybe?

Faelco said:
zorg1000 said:

Because the audience buying a system in year 1 and the audience buying a system in year 7 are completely different.

And?

First of all, the 3DS sales in France have been quite stable around the 700k for a while now, so it's not only about "year 7" here.

And if they sell 700k 3DS, and if more than 1M people buy a PS4 once again (it's been like this in 2015 and 2016), then where will they magically find 700k other people for the Switch? The market as its limits, consumers' money has its limits. You can't expect the consoles market in France to grow by more than a third (PS4+3DS+One+Wii U equals close to 2M, the Wii U being close to 100k) just because of the Switch, when it's been rather falling lately. The consoles market is back at its 2013 level at 600 M€ after a peak at 750 M€ in 2014 (after PS4/One launch), anyone expecting a 30% growth of this market thanks to huge Switch sales but without anything else falling hard to compensate is mistaking IMO.

Hardcore Nintendo fans excepted, no one kept 300€ aside for months/year while waiting for the Switch...

What do you mean and? I explained it pretty straightforward, the people buying a 3DS in 2017 are unlikely to be the same people buying a Switch in 2017 so one selling well means nothing for the other.

As for where will the sales come from? People who bought a 3DS/Vita/Wii U early may be looking to upgrade. People who bought a PS4/XBO early and want a secondary device. People who owned a previous generation device but for one reason or another are not interested in the current devices.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I mean it's the only country of Europe where the Switch is priced 299 instead of 329 so it's far more likely for it to sell better there, 800k is achievable imho

Barkley said:

Let's compare it to the 3DS sales in france, as of April 2016:

France: 4 Million
Globally: 58.5 Million

So of all 3ds systems sold 6.83% were sold in France.

Now if we assume that France will make up a similar chunk of the Switch market... that would mean to reach 0.8m in France this year it would sell 11.7m this year Globally.

Switch First Year: 11.7m

3DS First Year: 11.4m

It's not as crazy as I expected, France does make up a fair amount of Nintendo's market.

Are you talking Globaly in the US?

The_Yoda said:
Barkley said:

Let's compare it to the 3DS sales in france, as of April 2016:

France: 4 Million
Globally: 58.5 Million

So of all 3ds systems sold 6.83% were sold in France.

Now if we assume that France will make up a similar chunk of the Switch market... that would mean to reach 0.8m in France this year it would sell 11.7m this year Globally.

Switch First Year: 11.7m

3DS First Year: 11.4m

It's not as crazy as I expected, France does make up a fair amount of Nintendo's market.

Globally including the US. So almost.

Barkley said:
The_Yoda said:

... LOL ... nevermind, you must not have caught that discussion last summer.

The_Yoda said:
Barkley said:

... LOL ... nevermind, you must not have caught that discussion last summer.

I know of TheDrill and the origin of "Globally in the US" I just don't know how that applies to my post you quoted xD