By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's a bad thing the Switch isn't being sold at a loss?

Alkibiádēs said:
naruball said:

actually, that's just your opinion. So not really. Also, in terms of ps3 first party games even the critics would disagree with you (with several ps3 first party games getting the most GOTY awards). Actually.

GOTY awards are about as valuable as the Oscars. 

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

^ This is an entertaining read for people who think those awards actually mean something. 

What he means by GOTYs most likely also includes the fan response.

And, let's be honest, most of the time, game jounos (lol) and the general playerbase can at least somewhat agree on GOTY picks.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
To help shed some more light on this.....

take the samsung galaxy s7 comes with 64GB (more than the NS) of storage, a battery, both front and rear cameras, 4GB of Ram (same type and amount of ram in the NS) a more expensive SOC (yes its processor costs more than the tegra used in the NS), fingerprint sensor, and a QHD screen (4 times the resolution of the screen in the NS)

All that, costs under $255. Any iphone you see costs under $270 to make.

So why exactly does the NS cost $299 again?

resolution =! cost. size of said display is what drives cost.

does the phone come with 2 wireless controlers with NFC, some dope rumble thing, triggers, sticks, wireless transmitters... it has some of the stuff but you can turn the argument right back..
You pay for R&D costs.. phones have looked the same for a very long time so you could assume they don't spend as much developing them nowdays.
I would assume the R&D for a console is higher

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Alkibiádēs said:

Sony and MS did NOT give more quality first party games than Nintendo though. You can't give Sony and MS credit for third party games. 

Haha.... ok. Not gonna get into a subjective argument with you. As for the second part? why can't we give sony/MS credit for third party games? If they didn't make a platform that supports them or sell enough consoles to make their efforts worth it, those third party games would have gone somewhere else. 

This may come as a shock to you, but a third party game is an exclusive to a console that doesnt't have it. And every exclusive a console doesn't have represents just another reason for someone to not buy said console. 

Bajablo said:

resolution =! cost. size of said display is what drives cost.

does the phone come with 2 wireless controlers with NFC, some dope rumble thing, triggers, sticks, wireless transmitters... it has some of the stuff but you can turn the argument right back..
You pay for R&D costs.. phones have looked the same for a very long time so you could assume they don't spend as much developing them nowdays.
I would assume the R&D for a console is higher

Seriously, All that stuff you mention, weather you choose to believe it or not, are nowhere near as expensive as you think they are. Like you have no idea how cheap these components really are. But lets break it down a little..... take the amazon fire 7" tablet. That tablet has a 720p screen just like the NS, and that screen is 7" (bigger than that of the NS), it also has sensors and stuff....and I could give you its own list too if you want. It retails for under $60.

I'm not saying the switch costs $20/$100 to make....... I am simply trying to tell you and anyone else that cares to listen.... that it definately doesn't cost $300, $250 or even $220 to make. Now R&D costs I would give, cause we have no idea how much they spent on that... but even with that, the console business doesn't quite work like most others. Cause as I said earlier your business with nintendo "starts" the second you "buy" their console.

As they say, the first chip that comes off an intel fabrication plant may cost $5B, but every one that follows costs $10 per chip. With chip makers, phone makers... hell everything else makers..... they can and should mark up the price of every unit sold to make up for manufacturing costs, R&D, Marketing and of course a profit. Because the second you buy their product, their business with you is done. 

With consoles however, they can afford to sell to you at lower margins or even at a loss because you buying their console just means they are now living in your pocket. 

Here's something that may be shocking to you, do you know retailers typically stand to make more from selling actual software or game console accesories than whatever you think they make from selling the hardware?

TheWPCTraveler said:

I missed the point of the thread entirely, so I apologize. I thought of it the same way I thought NCL goes about, which is the opposite of what this thread is about.

That said, if Nintendo is serious with the whole "we have enough room to maneuver a price drop" business, then all things considered, the Switch tablet alone should cost below $140 to manufacture.
Assumptions: Dock+Joy-Cons = $40 (+$10, due to how retailers and distributors work), price cut is off JP price ($260 pre-tax) and is ~$40. Retailer cut is assumed to be at 20%.

Thats ok.

On actual console hardware, the retailer cut is nowhere near 20%. In the case of the Switch that would mean $60!!!!!! Think of it, the PS4 had a BOM of $384. But at retail was sold for $400. Sony were probably making a "profit" of around $6 on every console sold and the retailer was taking $10. If anything at all. The retailer gets their money from you buying games and accessories though. For every $60 game theretailer gets around $12-$15, on every controller ($15-$18 hardware sold for $60) the retailer gets around $20. In the gaming business.... thats where the real money is. 

On th cost of the tablet alone,I think you are spot on, +/- $10 or so. For the dock+joy-cons+ grip, I would put all that all at around $50. 

Now even if we add another like say $20 for unknow costs.. that brings the unit to around $210. Give the retailers $10 if you are feeling genourous, so thats $220. Tack on another $30 and call that nintendo's hardware profit (which mind you will be more per consol profit than any of the big three has ever charged...well exceptnintendo) and that brings it up to around $250.

This means at $299, nintendo is basically charging a $50 premium to buy their console.

No onehas to take my word for it, the console will come out in a few weeks, it will be torn apart and laid bare for all to see. I think a lot of people will be shocked how inexpensive it all will be on the inside.

Alkibiádēs said:
naruball said:

actually, that's just your opinion. So not really. Also, in terms of ps3 first party games even the critics would disagree with you (with several ps3 first party games getting the most GOTY awards). Actually.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

^ This is an entertaining read for people who think those awards actually mean something. 

So actually your opinion > all the journalists who gave games like Journey, Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us all those awards. Makes sense.

And the Oscars are pretty damn respected. They may mean nothing to you but that's not the case with other people. If you forget about your own opinion just for a second and look at the facts (e.g. the boost that movies get after winning an Oscar or how much more money and opportunities actors get after getting an Oscar), you'd realise that your opinion is completely out of touch with reality.

naruball said:
Alkibiádēs said:

So actually your opinion > all the journalists who gave games like Journey, Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us all those awards. Makes sense.

And the Oscars are pretty damn respected. They may mean nothing to you but that's not the case with other people. If you forget about your own opinion just for a second and look at the facts (e.g. the boost that movies get after winning an Oscar or how much more money and opportunities actors get after getting an Oscar), you'd realise that your opinion is completely out of touch with reality.

The Oscars are a complete joke by anyone who knows how they work. If they're so respected than why did someone like Miyazaki not even bother attending the ceromony in the year he won the Oscar for best animated movie? 

Gaming journalism is quite a few levels below movie journalism even. It's why we have universally hated games like GTA IV with a metacritic score of 98%. 

Journey isn't a first party game anyway (and it certainly doesn't deserve any GOTY awards). 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
naruball said:

The Oscars are a complete joke by anyone who knows how they work. If they're so respected than why did someone like Miyazaki not even bother attending the ceromony in the year he won the Oscar for best animated movie? 

Gaming journalism is quite a few levels below movie journalism even. It's why we have universally hated games like GTA IV with a metacritic score of 98%. 

Journey isn't a first party game anyway (and it certainly doesn't deserve any GOTY awards). 

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-25/miyazaki-acknowledges-missing-oscars-due-to-iraq-war

???

Alkibiádēs said:

I really enjoyed GTA IV.

Intrinsic said:
To help shed some more light on this.....

take the samsung galaxy s7 comes with 64GB (more than the NS) of storage, a battery, both front and rear cameras, 4GB of Ram (same type and amount of ram in the NS) a more expensive SOC (yes its processor costs more than the tegra used in the NS), fingerprint sensor, and a QHD screen (4 times the resolution of the screen in the NS)

All that, costs under $255. Any iphone you see costs under $270 to make.

So why exactly does the NS cost $299 again?

And they sell the Galaxy S7 for €600 in my country. What point are you trying to make exactly? Iphones are even more expensive to buy. 

Also we don't know what exactly is inside the Switch and it also has a lot of technology that the Galaxy S7 doesn't have. 

Are you also aware of how R & D works? It's factored into the price. 

Barkley said:
Alkibiádēs said:

I really enjoyed GTA IV.

That's fine, but you can't have missed the massive amounts of criticism the game got from fans on the internet. 

Alkibiádēs said:
Barkley said:

I really enjoyed GTA IV.

That's fine, but you can't have missed the massive amounts of criticism the game got from fans on the internet. 

Some facts for you.

GTA IV sold more than most ps3/360 games. Like the vast majority of them. Since more people have played it, more are likely to criticise it.

The fact that it had incredible legs shows that it actually had good word of mouth, unlike games like FFXIII that were front loaded.

You're generalizing based on one game.

Also, who determines if a game was good if we exclude sales and critic reception? You? Or people with confirmation bias?