By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-On with Nintendo Switch

Normchacho said:
The Switch has been very disappointing for me. I don't use handhelds, I really wanted a new, decent home console so I could plan Nintendo games...Instead they want me to spend way too much to buy a really weak console because it's built around a feature (features, actually) that I'll never use...

As an old school Nintendo fan, this sucks.

you can use it as a home console, if you want.

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:
Normchacho said:
The Switch has been very disappointing for me. I don't use handhelds, I really wanted a new, decent home console so I could plan Nintendo games...Instead they want me to spend way too much to buy a really weak console because it's built around a feature (features, actually) that I'll never use...

As an old school Nintendo fan, this sucks.

Yes, but its value proposition just isn't their if you don't plan on using it's portability. If you just plan on using it as a home console it's a really expensive system for what you get.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Rogerioandrade said:

Yes, but its value proposition just isn't their if you don't plan on using it's portability. If you just plan on using it as a home console it's a really expensive system for what you get.

It is there because you'll get to play all of Nintendo's games instead of only their home console games. In the past you had to buy two devices to play all of Nintendo's games. Why do people keep ignoring this simple fact? That's what makes me most excited for the Nintendo Switch. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
Normchacho said:

It is there because you'll get to play all of Nintendo's games instead of only their home console games. In the past you had to buy two devices to play all of Nintendo's games. Why do people keep ignoring this simple fact? That's what makes me most excited for the Nintendo Switch. 

Maybe that doesnt excite him because he might not have any interest in the handheld games at all.

oniyide said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Maybe that doesnt excite him because he might not have any interest in the handheld games at all.

Largely yes.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Watched the video. seems like a fair assessment. Zelda at 30fps is still very disappointing.

3D Zeldas are 30fps and maybe they will keep that for a long time. The dissapointing part is that it is not locked as there are small dips in the footage.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

oniyide said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Then I question whether he's really a gamer or interested in Nintendo games at all. The Mario Kart team, for example, no longer needs to make two different Mario Kart games and can use part of these resources for something else now. Arms is being made by the producer of Mario Kart for example... 

Alkibiádēs said:
oniyide said:

Then I question whether he's really a gamer or interested in Nintendo games at all. The Mario Kart team, for example, no longer needs to make two different Mario Kart games and can use part of these resources for something else now. Arms is being made by the producer of Mario Kart for example... 

who are you to question anybody? If he doesnt care for the games on handhelds then he doesnt care. Why is your criteria for being a "gamer" more accurate than his or anyone else.. Mario Kart? That started as a home console franchise. They dont need to make two but who cares if you were just going to make one anyway.

oniyide said:
Alkibiádēs said:

who are you to question anybody? If he doesnt care for the games on handhelds then he doesnt care. Why is your criteria for being a "gamer" more accurate than his or anyone else.. Mario Kart? That started as a home console franchise. They dont need to make two but who cares if you were just going to make one anyway.

Because now they can use part of their resources for something other than Mario Kart, so everyone interested in Nintendo games should care. If he doesn't care for Nintendo games then don't buy the Switch and complain somewhere else. That simple. 

Alkibiádēs said:
oniyide said:

Alkibiádēs said:
oniyide said:

Because now they can use part of their resources for something other than Mario Kart, so everyone interested in Nintendo games should care. If he doesn't care for Nintendo games then don't buy the Switch and complain somewhere else. That simple. 

Your assumptions don't line up with what Nintendo's been saying.

"This time, however, Fils-Aime told Wired that "3DS has a long life in front of it," and that Nintendo sees the Switch as "at its heart, it’s a home console that you can take with you on the go." That suggests the 3DS will continue to be the place Nintendo funnels games designed to be played portably, while the Switch gets games more tailored to the TV experience."

So no, I wouldn't expect a tangible increase in software for the Switch just because it's portable.

I take issue with the Switch because I do care about Nintendo games. I want access to these games but realistically I'd just leave it in its dock and buy a pro controller to use. With that in mind I just haven't seen the value in the system to justify the considerable cost.

Bet with Adamblaziken: