By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sound system/speaker suggestions

Hello everyone

I recently bought a new tv LG B6. Now as we all know new tvs have horrible speakers. So I am now in the market for a sound system or maybe I should get a sound bar and be good. What would you all recommend. Something good but not 5k type system. 

Thanks

Around the Network

I used to sport the full 5.1 surround sound system for years but got sick of all the hassle involved with hooking it up every time I moved. Now I have a nice fibre optic DAC soundbar with 120v bluetooth subwoofer. It mimics surround sound very convincingly and the sub shakes the floor during game explosions. Neighbors love it.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Tell us your budget. Wired soundsystem >>>>>> wireless soundsystem. Spending ratio is usually 3:1 for speakers to amp/av receiver. Make sure the av receiver support the speaker system you're trying to buy (5.1, 7.1, 7.2, etc)

I'm a Bowers and Wilkins fan. Just upgraded to the 684 S2 floor standing main speakers with HTM62 S2 center speaker, while still using their VM1s for surround speakers, and an old reliable REL Storm subwoofer. I've paired them with a Yamaha receiver. It sounds amazing, but all together you're looking at 3K probably.

Things to keep in mind. Center speaker is the most important, all dialog and most of the sound comes through there. Next the main speakers. Surround sound is great, yet most of the immersive music will be pumping from the main speakers while dialog comes through the center channel. The surround speakers don't need to be of the same caliber to get a great surround effect, yet it helps to have physical speakers for that instead of simulated surround. If set up properly you're not aware of them being there, until that knock on the door  and other effects that suddenly make you look behind you :) So getting surround speakers of the same brand with similar sound profile is still a good idea. Yet smaller speakers are fine.

I used 5 FPM5s with a B&W subwoofer for my home theater which look great on the walls. However room size and wall and floor material have just as much effect on sound quality as speakers. My home theater is pretty small, sided with 2 concrete walls, while my living room is open room concept, high ceiling, all wood. Sound appreciates room to breath. My home theater still sounds great (Thumper on full volume is amazing) yet the open space of the living room with free standing speakers makes it sound more spacious. There's only so far you can go with high quality speakers until the physcial dimensions of the speaker and the space you put them in becomes the limiting factor. Floor standing speakers are the way to go. And a subwoofer is essential imo :)

Sony launched very decent affordable speakers which has been getting good reviews
http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/speakers/ss-cs3
http://hometheaterreview.com/sony-ss-cs3-floorstanding-speaker-reviewed/

Used to spend thousands on receiver/power amp/speakers for 5.1 but after gradually upgrading to better and better stuff over a period of 10-12 years, last year decided to pack it all in and swap my XPA-5/MRX-300/XTZ99.xx speakers for, wait for it...

Sonos Playbar/Play:1 surrounds/Sonos sub.

It's 95% as good as anything the last stuff could pump out.
No messing around, sounds brilliant. Cost a fair bit still but is worth every penny.
Note: Playbar on it's own sounds awful, Play 1s on their own sound awful. Together, it's something quite different.

Good thing with this also is it's suitable for office/bedroom/living room. (I have 3 times this setup, one in each).

Would never go back to a proper floor standers/receiver/amp - EVER - unless I was spending maybe £20,000+ and having it installed by a pro etc. Can't envision that though as better things to spend that amount on in terms of priorities.