By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Read Mark Hamill's Tribute to Carrie Fisher

Read Mark Hamill's Tribute to Carrie Fisher

"She was so committed to joy and fun and embracing life."

Luke Skywalker actor Mark Hamill has paid tribute to his Star Wars co-star Carrie Fisher, who passed away last week at the age of 60. In a guest column for The Hollywood Reporter, Hamill talked about the impact Fisher had on his life and how he was grateful to reconnect with her for The Force Awakens.

He also talked about how Fisher was like family to him, meaning they didn't always get along.

"We ran the gamut over the years, where we were in love with each other, where we hated each other's guts," Hamill said. "'I'm not speaking to you, you're such a judgmental, royal brat!' We went through it all. It's like we were a family."

Hamill also spoke about Fisher's warm spirit and her ability to make a person feel important.

"When you were in her good graces, you couldn't have more fun with any person on the planet. She was able to make you feel like you were the most important thing in her life. I think that's a really rare quality," Hamill said. "And then you could go 180 degrees opposite, where you were furious with one another and wouldn't speak for weeks and weeks. But that's all part of what makes a relationship complete. It's not all one-sided. Like I say, she was a handful. She was high maintenance. But my life would have been so much drabber and less interesting if she hadn’t been the friend that she was."

Also in his column, Hamill said about Fisher, "She was so committed to joy and fun and embracing life. She had an Auntie Mame quality to her. I would do crazy things to amuse her on the set. Making her laugh was always a badge of honor."

Go to The Hollywood Reporter to read Hamill's full tribute; it's well worth a read from start to finish.

Fisher was cast as Princess Leia Organa at the age of 19 for the 1977 original Star Wars. She is the daughter of Singin' in the Rain actress Debbie Reynolds, who passed away one day after Fisher, on December 28, and singer Eddie Fisher. She went on to play Leia again in The Empire Strikes Back before wrapping up the trilogy with Return of the Jedi.

She also appeared in The Blues Brothers and When Harry Met Sally, and voiced Angela on Family Guy. Also a screenwriter and author, Fisher wrote the book Postcards from the Edge, which was later adapted into a Meryl Streep-starring movie. Her 2008 book Wishful Drinking talked about her personal struggles with drugs and depression. Fisher, diagnosed as bipolar, is also remembered for her efforts in the mental health space. Her latest memoir was The Princess Diarist, which came out in late 2016.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/read-mark-hamills-tribute-to-carrie-fisher/1100-6446585/

Around the Network

I'll be on the road this coming Thursday to embark on Comic Con. And one of the main attractions would have been the iconic Rebel leader herself, Carrie Fisher. Unfortunately, she is not with us anymore. I'm still going to Comic Con, but of course Carrie will not be there. Nevertheless, events such as Comic Con would not have been possible with her. Thank you, Carrie.

That's nice.

Thanks for posting. A friend of mine was lucky enough to meet her at a a con in Saskatoon this past September. Just as an aside, I enjoyed her role in 30 Rock.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Thanks for posting. A friend of mine was lucky enough to meet her at a a con in Saskatoon this past September. Just as an aside, I enjoyed her role in 30 Rock.

My original draw was Lou Ferrigno since I was a Hulk fan back in the day, and later, Carrie was put on the roster which became an unexpected surprise.  I like Star Wars, but I'm not a huge fan per se.  So from my standpoint, meeting Carrie would have been a very nice bonus, but a once in a lifetime deal.